UHD/4K Disc Thread

downzy

If you’ve been following my tribulations in the UHD world in the Home Theater thread, you’ll know it’s been a rocky road for me. I’m pleased to say I’ve finally found a solution which is working, and, despite having a non HDR TV, the 4K is looking excellent finally. So I picked up some more UHD discs - The Martian, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and Alien: Covenant. Had a return to make at Best Buy, so I got all three for $8 difference on the return :lol:

On 1/18/2018 at 4:30 PM, James Bond said:

The uncompressed discussion isn't even bad. I've had media illiterate friends tell me that their super compressed torrent download of a film was equal to Blu quality because it said "Blu-ray rip" in the title. Explaining that just because it was sourced from the Blu doesn't mean it's the same was just as senseless as telling the same friends that ripping MP3's from YouTube videos does not justify the purchase of Beats headphones.

Yep. I used to hate when people would brag about getting all their music from YouTube videos. Especially back in the day when quality was lower for data streaming purposes (before everyone had blazing fast and unlimited speeds), they were basically compressing an already compressed file.

But theoretically speaking, if you downloaded a BluRay remux (an uncompressed copy of the physical disk), and played it with something like VLC Player, you are basically playing the full original file. It's like saying a FLAC file isn't the same as playing the CD in your disc drive. It's a complete digital copy of the file, uncompressed, so there is no difference in how it will sound.