GNR Central Interview With Nigel DIck

28 minutes ago, cooker said:

So I can look at this at work. Thank You!

you're welcome! I would have loved to have asked him about Oasis. He did talk briefly about Alice in Chains and what a nightmare it was to work with them. I'm guessing Layne's personal problems probably contributed to that. Also he revealed he's writing a book and will name names about which artists were a pain to work with. 

2 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

you're welcome! I would have loved to have asked him about Oasis. He did talk briefly about Alice in Chains and what a nightmare it was to work with them. I'm guessing Layne's personal problems probably contributed to that. Also he revealed he's writing a book and will name names about which artists were a pain to work with. 

Is he retired? 

22 hours ago, soon said:

We know there are a few reasons stated why Izzy quit.  They are no doubt all true, but its cool to get this insight that Izzy put enough weight on the video budget issue to call up the former director and share that with him.

Cool interview!

id say its not about zillion dollars videos

id say it would be way smarter to say that one of the reasons izzy quit is because axl simply began to do what-axl-wanted-to-do and izzy didnt have a say on band decisions anymore like he used to have -- and that includes the decisions on videos

• Like 1

first of all congrats for the interview

:headbang:

not sure how the interview was done (email? phone?)

but there are a fair share of "lost opportunities" when nigel hints on some interesting subjects and the person who did the interview doesnt follow up

a few examples...

5. Can you share some personal recollections (...)

(...) I bumped into Axl in a parking lot and said Hi and held out my hand. He walked by me without a nod and didn’t say a word. That remains my abiding impression on the closeness of our working relationship!

Yeah? And what about the other guys? Did you ever engage in conversations with them? Did they give you the same impression?

8. Who has all the extra outtakes (...)?  

I’m asked this question (...) and a new “master” was struck from my clone.

Recently live video from a concert at the Ritz in 1987 that belonged to Geffen surfaced online. Did you ever shoot any Guns n Roses live concert?

There is a lot of live footage on the Paradise City promo video. Did you guys record the entire concert? Do you remember how many cameras were used? Do you think it would be possible to make a full live release (like a DVD) combining the footage you shot of that concert with a possible professional audio recording? Would you be up for doing that?

13. Most proud GNR video and why?

I watched “Welcome To The Jungle” recently and started to really understand what made them work as a band for the first time!

And what was that? Care to elaborate?

17. What was the hardest video to shoot with Guns N’ Roses? What made it difficult to shoot?

None of them were easy.

In what sense? Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

love this quote

13. Most proud GNR video and why?

In some way I’m proud of all of them. As I’ve hinted above I was not a ‘natural’ GNR fan so I had to remain wide awake and watchful and make sure to observe and document the things that made them tick. Up till this point in my career I was simply living out my own rock n’ roll fantasies on film and inserting other bands into that mould. Here, for the first time, I was observing a club of which I wasn’t a member and which I didn’t fully understand and creating a world for them so that other people could get a taste. In essence that’s what all videos should be about. I watched “Welcome To The Jungle” recently and started to really understand what made them work as a band for the first time! This from the man who was not only there on the day but also made it happen. Go figure.