Did Slash try to suggest songs during the UYI tour?

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If you think it's nonsense not to vary from a list of songs you know you can sing properly, I don't know what to tell you.

And they did throw in the odd song sometimes; Coma, My Michelle, Locomotive, and Yesterdays to name a few. But it's understandable why those weren't staples.

not sure if you understood what i wrote

i said axl could and should have sung many more songs in 1992 other than the ones he chose to sing

but he chose not to do it

he chose to same the same old set every night

thats lazy, stupid, nonsense etc etc etc

two and a half decades later and its all the same nonsense again

not sure if it is a rumour or not, but i heard people love it and pay good money to watch it!

On 4/1/2018 at 11:03 PM, ludurigan said:

in Rio 1991 2nd night somebody (can't tell you who but very likely Slash) seems to suggest to play Bad Apples and Axl apparently doesn't show that much enthusiasm and makes sure to let everyone know that he doesnt know/remember the lyrics too well. They play the song anyway and Izzy does a fantastic job singing alongside Axl. The song sounds brilliant live -- the very opposite of the boring studio version. The short dialogue netween Axl and Slash before the song seems to be a clear indication that Axl doesn't like the song and likely explains why the song was basically ignored for the entire tour with the exception of one or two other dates in the US.

My memory of that 1991 Rio version of Bad Apples was not the same as you described it so I just went back & listened to it again for the first time in quite a few years.  It seems to me like Axl & Slash were just doing playful banter before the song.  I definitely didn't get the vibe that Axl was purposely letting everyone know that he had no interest in doing the song.  I did always find it funny how he referred to it as "Bad As The Apples."

On a side note has video for that performance of Bad Apples ever surfaced?  I've only ever been able to find the audio but all of the video's of that show seem to end right before that song.

Edited by Chewy2

2 hours ago, Chewy2 said:

My memory of that 1991 Rio version of Bad Apples was not the same as you described it so I just went back & listened to it again for the first time in quite a few years.  It seems to me like Axl & Slash were just doing playful banter before the song.  I definitely didn't get the vibe that Axl was purposely letting everyone know that he had no interest in doing the song.  I did always find it funny how he referred to it as "Bad As The Apples."

On a side note has video for that performance of Bad Apples ever surfaced?  I've only ever been able to find the audio but all of the video's of that show seem to end right before that song.

to me it sounds pretty clear that axl doesnt wanna play the song, i dont remember exactly the words that he exchanges with slash and yes, it was surely playful

but thats likely due to him (axl) being obviously in a fantastic (and playful) mood on that particular night -- which, on a positive note, makes the rio 2nd night gig one of THE best GNR gig without steven... by miles!

unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge the video for the last songs hasn't surfaced to this day.

curious thing is that -- as you probably know -- several different unaired camera angles (slash's cam, axl cam etc) from that night surfaced during the years

probably someone took that straight from the TV Globo archives!

fantastic job if you ask me!

but to this day there is no circulating footage of bad apples, rocket queen and a few others 

For what I know is that the 2 cameramen shared their tapes. But all the versions end just after civil war. Also, in that same show Axl gives a speech about him and Slash and then he says to the band "I don't even know if I remember the words for this, but can you guys do Nightrain for me?"

Edited by fanfzero

On 4/3/2018 at 3:30 PM, ludurigan said:

i think it was true for like a few months in the US-Europe tour 1991

Exactly! As someone who who have listened to over 100 UYI shows I can vouch for the fact that up until the 31st of August '91 GN'R didn't follow a specific setlist. In 92 and 93 it became a lot more predictable, not as predictable as NITL but still very predictable!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 8:23 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I always wondered why there was no footage for the Bad Apples performance. Wasn't the entire thing videod? What sort of sense would it make to not record some songs when cameras are already there? All we got is that audio with the damn guy talking over the beginning.

Yes, it was videotaped, because we have Paradise City from that night. The thing is that the tv broadcast was cut right after Civil War (maybe because they already have broadcasted the first night entirely and they wanted to broadcast something else). Will it see the light one day? I doubt, it's been +25 years and it still hasn't been liberated (In Argentina 92 yesterdays was not broadcasted entirely due to a commercial cut, but the full show uncut without the tv station logo surfaced, with bad quality, but it surfaced, same for Argentina 93, the MikeGNR/Duffer looks like a gen3/4 copy from the master tape and it's also uncut).

• Sad 1