Is Axl's voice still awesome?

sebumlee2002

Hes voice doesn´t fit the some of the old songs as it used to do.. Like P-city. Out to get me sounded mostly great under the 2002-tour, and so did WTTJ rock3 I like the Toronto show. On that show he make a great performance with his "new"(Knocking on heavens door & The blues), but also with his "old"(WTTJ & NT) voice!

I would say his capable of much more these days(2002) then "before" (u know what I mean), but his performance has come into more unequal states at the shows..

His better. But more uneven..

yeah his voice is great in the new songs like the blues, etc.

and I agree he did sound kinda uneven, I guess that was because he hadn't performed in so long and he was shakey.I think if the 2002 tour continued and didn't get cancelled, Axl would of got his voice into shape and he would sound awesome, even at the start of the UYI tours, Axl was shaky with his voice cos he hadn't performed for a while.

Is that a recent photo of Axl? He's taken the Chinese Democracy thing too far :huh:

LOL!

Yeah, he can't always keep up with songs that are fast paced, although even back in the day, he couldn't always ,and he was young back then! It's just age, he sounds great now anyway.

Listen to the 15 second long high pitched scream at the end of IRS . . . . Axl still has an amazing voice.

Remember,..

He recorded that in a studio. Anyone can sound like a singer with voice synthesizers..

The 2002 tour was depressing -- but proof, that Rose just doesn't have a voice in him anymore.

Watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-N...%20n%27%20roses

Now, watch anything from 2002..

-Kickingthehabit

What concert is that dude?? rock2

LA

I remember seeing a clip of Nightrain from a 2002 concert with Axl singing in his old voice for a few seconds, at first I thought it was a clip from 91 - 93, then Axl switched to his new high pitched voice, and I saw the braids, and realized it was from a 2002 concert.

It looked like he was keeping his voice clean for some reason, probably for recording his voice on the albums, and that would explain why he wants to make 3 albums and release the first one only once the third one is done. Or something like that.

Listen to the 15 second long high pitched scream at the end of IRS . . . . Axl still has an amazing voice.

Remember,..

He recorded that in a studio. Anyone can sound like a singer with voice synthesizers..

The 2002 tour was depressing -- but proof, that Rose just doesn't have a voice in him anymore.

Watch this..

-Kickingthehabit

that video is fuckin awesome,it displays what guns were all about, (mean dont give a fuck rockers)

the vocals are top notch

how anyone here can even compare the new band to that is a disgrace they aren't in the same leaugue,(axl what have you done?)

i think the only way to put it is ,if anyone thinks the new band is better than the old is looking threw ROSE tinted glasses

you simply do not get it... the old band is long gone, why dwell on that and constantly compare it to the new band? if you like the old band better, good for you! but that doesn't mean you need to piss on the new band constantly because like it or not, they are guns n roses now.

and thats a great video from a great show, but the band in 2002 took that song to a completely new level. No use in even comparing.

you guys are full of of shit how can the greatest rocker of all time be let down at an age > 50 as Axl would say fuck off and suck my fuckin dick!!!! rock1

Grow up newbie!

2 points of interest. 1) He joined before you so I don't think you're justified in calling him a Newbie :huh:

2) You are only a Newbie because of your post count. Just because he has posted less than you does not mean his opinions are not as valid. And eh... seriously do you think reffering to him as a newbie qualifies as a derogitary term? It's like saying ''Haha you haven't spent as much time on the forum as me.'' :blink:

Remember,..

Watch this..

-Kickingthehabit

that video is fuckin awesome,it displays what guns were all about, (mean dont give a fuck rockers)

the vocals are top notch

how anyone here can even compare the new band to that is a disgrace they aren't in the same leaugue,(axl what have you done?)

i think the only way to put it is ,if anyone thinks the new band is better than the old is looking threw ROSE tinted glasses

you simply do not get it... the old band is long gone, why dwell on that and constantly compare it to the new band? if you like the old band better, good for you! but that doesn't mean you need to piss on the new band constantly because like it or not, they are guns n roses now.

and thats a great video from a great show, but the band in 2002 took that song to a completely new level. No use in even comparing.

If Rose is, by all means, given a pass in regards to how he manipulates the original band's legacy,.. then we, as his audience, deserve to compare the past, to the present.

And, no matter how hard you try.. you'll never prove to any of us why this circus deserves the title of Guns N' Roses..

More videos, for those interested in the real band..

http://www.youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-C...%20n%27%20roses

http://www.youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-B...%20n%27%20roses

http://www.youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-M...%20n%27%20roses

And just for kicks,..

Paradise City, by the new band!

http://www.youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-P...%20n%27%20roses

-Kickingthehabit

Edited by Kickingthehabit

It's pretty common knowledge that a singer's voice gets better as they get older, not worse. The only exceptions are if they abuse it with cigarettes and alcohol, then it can get worse. Since Axl actually stopped with the cigs and alcohol quite a while ago, I doubt his voice has gotten any worse. It probably has actually gotten better with age.

Now, what is "better"? Well, when you are drinking and smoking a lot, your vocal chords are irritated and your singing is going to sound rougher and more hoarse or raspy. That may fit the paradise city style of singing better, where he was raspy on the original. With songs like The Blues and November Rain, it is better to have a clearer voice without the rasp.

Maybe during his concerts, he can sing all the slow songs first while his voice is clear, then take an hour break, smoke a pack of cigs, drink a six pack, scream his lungs out in the dressing room for 5 minutes, and then come back and sing all the fast songs.

;-)

Remember,..

Watch this..

-Kickingthehabit

the vocals are top notch

exactly what I was about to say, but I like the way he sounded in WTTJ in rock in rio, that was THE BEST preformance of that song, I think many of you can agree on me with my opinion

I liked it to, especially the bit where he goes, do you know where the fuck you are....

and then he sings Jungle, welcome to the jungle... and the crowd is going off.

that rocks!! rock3

His voice from 2001 to 2002 was flat-out atrocious. I can't even stand listening to any of the bootlegs I have anymore because it's so sad to hear him struggling the way he was in those shows. He had absolutely no power or strength behind it; he sounded like a wailing animal, with the exception of the Blues and Madagascar. That being said though does NOT mean that he can't get some of his voice back for the next tour/record, however many decades down the road that may be. He won't ever sound like he did during the Illusion tour (cigarettes, raspy voice), but he may work on his voice being what it was around 86 or 87. The reason why I think he can get some of it back is because of a friend of his known as Vince Neil. During the late 1990s, Vince's voice was horrendous and he was always out of breath. Now, in 2005/06, he sounds a lot better after getting in shape and going on tour. Because of this, I still have hope for Axl.

That's funny that he sounded atrocious on your BOOTLEGS, because when I went to a LIVE SHOW in Vegas on New Year's Day 2001, it sounded great. It sucks that you only got to hear his bootlegs.

BTW, how do you know what he sounds like in 05/06. from IRS (which was recorded in, what, 02/03)?? It's a poor quality leak and it's in the studio, a shitting horse can sound great in a studio.

Edited by eschman