What was the point of the 2002 tour?

OTHAFA

Considering it's 4 years later and still no album, let's say the 2002 tour went off without a hitch and was hugely successful, what would have been accomplished? Clearly the album wasn't anywhere near being released, so what exactly was Axl trying to do by going out on the road like that? You have a surprise performance on MTV, go on a World Tour, and have no album to promote on it? Just seems weird to me.

Edited by OTHAFA

the point was to introduce the new line up to the fans, and get them on the road together.

as well as, to see if the GNR train was still as popular as before.

So I'd say the tour was a success, other than the fact that it wasn't finished.

well the point was to play some live shows for the fans. i'm glad i got to see it.

Agreed..I'm glad I got to see a show too.

Testing waters,showing the new line up and what to expect is what I thought it was all about...But they shouldn't have named it the "Chinese Democracy World Tour" :rolleyes:

well the point was to play some live shows for the fans. i'm glad i got to see it.

Agreed..I'm glad I got to see a show too.

Testing waters,showing the new line up and what to expect is what I thought it was all about...But they shouldn't have named it the "Chinese Democracy World Tour" :rolleyes:

Good for you two! I was left hanging in Philly! After 4 years, I was beginning to give up ever seeing GNR again, but now....

I think that Axl expected to release the album at the end of the tour but then someone killed the mood because they wouldn't let him into a party with a fur coat on after the MSG gig and that threw Axl into a terrible mood and he didn't feel like doing anything anymore. That came out of the article in Q magazine though so it may be a lot of bull!

I think it's entirely possible that the album was close to being done in 2002, and the failure of the tour may have played a part in the delay. The 2002 tour makes sense when you look at it as a short warm up tour a few months before an album release. But things didn't go as planned and now it's 2006. :unsure: