GnR playing live in 2006

dobadog

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing can change the fact that Robin Finck will never be remembered as the lead guitarist from Guns N' Roses..

These petty arguments are a waste of time..

-Kickingthehabit

this has yet to be seen. If CD becomes a huge success, don't be so sure.

now go on back to the VR board where you belong so you can discuss which remix of contraband you liked best and leave us fans who actually support the band.

Nothing can change the fact that Robin Finck will never be remembered as the lead guitarist from Guns N' Roses..

-Kickingthehabit

now go on back to the VR board where you belong so you can discuss which remix of contraband you liked best and leave us fans who actually support the band.

Please tell us WHY we should go to the VR board when we are discussing Guns 'n' Roses? By that logic if we are discussing Robin Finck we should be going to a NIN board because Finckster is yet to appear on a Guns record...

Thats utterly stupid. Finck may have only had about 20, but he had the whole world watching, with people waiting to find flaws. He's not ever going to be the best guitarist, but he plays with feeling. He's a fronting guitarist, Richard is scared of being the front guitarist. Finck's passion and feeling often means he screws up solos as he gets carried away. I'm not way near as accomplished as Finck, or most guitarists, but when I play live, I often get sucked in a screw bits up, and try and cover for them. It's my/his enjoyment whilst playing that means I forget what I'm doing. Why does it matter if he screws up anyway, I doubt most people could do what he's doing, and manage to pull off good performances whilst entertaining on the whole. Slash made tonnes of mistakes because he was either too pissed/stoned, or just made mistakes. Everyone screws up, people just pin it on Finck a)because of the way he dresses, B) his style or c)because he isn't Slash.

Of course the world was watching........It was a World Tour. :drevil:

LOL, I absolutely LOVE your theory that he screws up becasue he gets carried away!!! He gets soooo emotional, he forgets how to play! :lol: Ha, that's gold! I should try that excuse at my job too. Sorry I fucked up boss, I just couldn't control my feelings...

Yeah, people were definitely waiting to make the inevitable comparisons and waiting for the flaws. But they didn't have to look too hard.

So first you complain that Bucket has 'no emotion' and you criticise those with 'too much' (Finck). The perfect solution? SLASH.

And yes, it was a world tour. You want a sticker?

And don't tell me you haven't ever been absorbed so much in something that nothing else matters. So focused, and enjoying something so much that you get carried away. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that. And hon, I don't think that excuse could work at a 7/11 ;)

Axlsdisillusion and others like him should know that being a GNR fan does not imply that we have to lick Axl's ass. :angry:

Or am I wrong ? :unsure:

ahh but being on a board for the 2k6 line up for gnr,maybe you should consider supporting the band

like it or not,they are all members of guns n' roses

and every single one has tooth and nail fought thier way to be there

can't you respect that atleast?

can you respect that it's been just as hard for them to keep the secret.

can you accept that you should take this band from a new standpoint

these are new people with new ideas wanting to make new music

give them a chance,they've worked hard, and they deserve to have a spot in the sunshine for the time they've worked

i'm not asking to "Lick axl's ass" i'm just saying to, before you start critiquing them in an uneven playing field of comparing i.e.:comparing foo fighters to nirvana,give them a chance to release the album and finish thier current tour

you keep your mouths shut and we will too in wait for the album

then when the album is here,you guys talk about reunion, we talk about how great it is

everyone's happy,ok?

So first you complain that Bucket has 'no emotion' and you criticise those with 'too much' (Finck). The perfect solution? SLASH.

Good to see you've figured it out.

And don't tell me you haven't ever been absorbed so much in something that nothing else matters. So focused, and enjoying something so much that you get carried away. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that. And hon, I don't think that excuse could work at a 7/11 ;)

Of course I've been so absorbed and focused on something that nothing else in the world matters!!! But It's never been on stage in front of thousands of people. Fink's not good enough to just zone out and wing it. He needs to give it his full attention, especcially when it's material he's only covering and didn't write, and different to what he had normally played.

Ha. 7/11....I'll look for you behind the counter next time I go in for a Big Gulp. :heart:

Good to see you've figured it out.

I didn't know that I now needed to apply sarcasm tags to things I say sarcastically.

Of course I've been so absorbed and focused on something that nothing else in the world matters!!! But It's never been on stage in front of thousands of people. Fink's not good enough to just zone out and wing it. He needs to give it his full attention, especcially when it's material he's only covering and didn't write, and different to what he had normally played.

Why does that matter? Sure, he does pay more attention when he wrote it, and rightly so! This isn't his music, you know it, I know it and he knows it. He adds his touch to it, like it or not. He can never fill the boots of a previous musician, no one can. Finck is probably like the rest of us, dying to play and hear new material. Not rehashed classics

Ha. 7/11....I'll look for you behind the counter next time I go in for a Big Gulp. :heart:

:rofl-lol:

-Kickingthehabit

Please tell us WHY we should go to the VR board when we are discussing Guns 'n' Roses? By that logic if we are discussing Robin Finck we should be going to a NIN board because Finckster is yet to appear on a Guns record...

because by posting in this section, you are stipulating that you are a Guns N' Roses fan (and by that I mean the 2k6 GNR, not 1991). You, Kickingthehabit, and a couple others are merely cupcakes who come here and repeatedly bash a band most of us support. I explained this several times.. Again kiddo, please take a minute to read the post and consider what is said before firing back your same automated bullshit reply.

If you actually acted like you supported the band, and had constructive criticsm, no one would care. But its almost as if you people want to see Axl fail. And I think thats fucking bullshit.

because by posting in this section, you are stipulating that you are a Guns N' Roses fan (and by that I mean the 2k6 GNR, not 1991). You, Kickingthehabit, and a couple others are merely cupcakes who come here and repeatedly bash a band most of us support. I explained this several times.. Again kiddo, please take a minute to read the post and consider what is said before firing back your same automated bullshit reply.

Realistically I'm a much bigger Axl Rose fan than you.

You worship him because in your delusional mind you've built him up to be some sort of God that can't put a foot wrong. Whereas I can accept that Axl is an incredibly flawed human and an incredibly flawed musician, yet I still give him my support.

You're also the only one that keeps bringing up Slash and Velvet Revolver. I'm quite happy to see Slash stay where he is, and have no real desire to see him back in Guns. All I've done is suggest that Finck and Fortus aren't exactly an awe inspiring guitar duo, and voiced my surprise that Axl hasn't attempted to bolster the line-up since Bucket's departure. He's had four years to find someone, and it seems all we've got is a NSYNC session guitarist and a guy that was widely criticised last time around.

But, hey, if you think that's going to be enough to win the public over, good on ya.

Realistically I'm a much bigger Axl Rose fan than you.

You worship him because in your delusional mind you've built him up to be some sort of God that can't put a foot wrong. Whereas I can accept that Axl is an incredibly flawed human and an incredibly flawed musician, yet I still give him my support.

Wasn't it you who said that you hope Axl flops the other day? If i'm wrong, many apologies, one of you guys said that. If it was you, how is that supportive?

And I've never said Axl doesn't have faults and that he's not human and that he has his off nights. I have a huge amount of respect for the man, and he may or may not respect me as a fan, and I dont really care. He's touched my life in ways I can't put to words.

You're also the only one that keeps bringing up Slash and Velvet Revolver. I'm quite happy to see Slash stay where he is, and have no real desire to see him back in Guns. All I've done is suggest that Finck and Fortus aren't exactly an awe inspiring guitar duo, and voiced my surprise that Axl hasn't attempted to bolster the line-up since Bucket's departure. He's had four years to find someone, and it seems all we've got is a NSYNC session guitarist and a guy that was widely criticised last time around.

But, hey, if you think that's going to be enough to win the public over, good on ya.

well the guy who was highly criticised was the guy who replaced Slash, so the hardcore Slash fans who haven't accepted Axl keeping the name of GNR are going to hate Finck, just by nature. Finck is a solid guitarist, I think he's just as good as having Slash up there.

Wasn't it you who said that you hope Axl flops the other day?

No, I've never said anything like that. I hope the tour is a success, because I want the fuckin' album and don't want Axl to go into hiding for another four years.

well the guy who was highly criticised was the guy who replaced Slash, so the hardcore Slash fans who haven't accepted Axl keeping the name of GNR are going to hate Finck, just by nature. Finck is a solid guitarist, I think he's just as good as having Slash up there.

Finck cops criticism, because:

a) he's got no runs on the board with other bands, in terms of creating good music.

b) he was dead-set sloppy when playing Slash's music last time.

c) he has no real charisma or energy on stage.

That said, I'm still more optimistic about Finck than I am Fortus. That guy just means nothing to me. He's nothing but an emo fringe, as far as I'm concerned.

I would also point out that I had nothing but praise for Buckethead during and after the last tour. Why would my supposed bias for Slash allow me to appreciate Bucket, but not Finck? Because Buckethead was an amazing player, that's why.

Wasn't it you who said that you hope Axl flops the other day?

No, I've never said anything like that. I hope the tour is a success, because I want the fuckin' album and don't want Axl to go into hiding for another four years.

fair enough. I totally agree with you there.

Finck cops criticism, because:

a) he's got no runs on the board with other bands, in terms of creating good music.

B) he was dead-set sloppy when playing Slash's music last time.

c) he has no real charisma or energy on stage.

That said, I'm still more optimistic about Finck than I am Fortus. That guy just means nothing to me. He's nothing but an emo fringe, as far as I'm concerned.

I would also point out that I had nothing but praise for Buckethead during and after the last tour. Why would my supposed bias for Slash allow me to appreciate Bucket, but not Finck? Because Buckethead was an amazing player, that's why.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the last two points on Finck. I saw the band, and I'm pretty sure I have every 2002 performance on either audio or video and I don't see the sloppiness. He puts his own spin on the stuff, love it or hate it, but if he replicated Slash's notes exactly, he'd be getting bashed for that too. I like his style and I think he does have charisma on stage.

And Richard Fortus rocks. Can't fault a guy who was making a living as a session musican doing what he has to do to support himself and his family. Most people in the music business don't get their big break and Axl saw something in him. Out of all the guys on stage in 02, Fortus by far was the most energetic and just played like a madman and played fucking great! His website rocks too.

In my mind Bucket is just in a different league than most guitarists. He's amazingly talented. Once people can look past the goofy image, wel you def can't knock what he does. But Robin was the one who directly replaced Slash. Bucket was brought in as an extra guitarist.

i really dont like Finck, he looks like a Goth and plays like crap.

And whether Axl fans want to admit it or not, this is the way a lot of people feel after seeing NuGnR play.

Axl had four years to find a Buckethead replacement that either (a) has a reputation already as a kickass player in the rock world, (b) has the chops to knock people on their ass when they see him play.

Just don't think Finck and Fortus have either of those qualities.

But, hey, maybe Axl has found somebody else and just hasn't told us. That's what's so bizarre about the situation, we still have no idea who's actually in "Guns n' Roses" yet. Farcical.

Edited by Dead Flower

"But, hey, maybe Axl has found somebody else and just hasn't told us. That's what's so bizarre about the situation, we still have no idea who's actually in "Guns n' Roses" yet."

I think that's just one of the things I like about this band. You never really know what's going to smack you in the face next. To be or not to be a replacement for Bucket? That is the question. :P

Well fuck me sideways, that solo was unbelievabley awful. I see what hes tryin to do, make a solo that is his and not Slash's, but he messed up there.

Honestly, I just hate the way he stands and looks on stage. Ifhe came out in jeans and a t shirt and just played, maybe runnin around a bit and show hes enjoyin himself. Thats a big problem with the current lineup, apart from Tommy really, they just stand in their own little bit of the stage whereas Axl is runnin all over. Might be Axl tellin them to do that though.

Grimo.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the last two points on Finck. I saw the band, and I'm pretty sure I have every 2002 performance on either audio or video and I don't see the sloppiness. He puts his own spin on the stuff, love it or hate it, but if he replicated Slash's notes exactly, he'd be getting bashed for that too. I like his style and I think he does have charisma on stage.

And Richard Fortus rocks. Can't fault a guy who was making a living as a session musican doing what he has to do to support himself and his family. Most people in the music business don't get their big break and Axl saw something in him. Out of all the guys on stage in 02, Fortus by far was the most energetic and just played like a madman and played fucking great! His website rocks too.

In my mind Bucket is just in a different league than most guitarists. He's amazingly talented. Once people can look past the goofy image, wel you def can't knock what he does. But Robin was the one who directly replaced Slash. Bucket was brought in as an extra guitarist.

Totally with you AxlsDisillusion, you hit the spot everytime.