The inevitable comparison

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

NO DOWNLOAD REQUESTS, LYRICS POSTING, ETC... http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=62166

Anyway, now that we've heard a fair amount of material from GN'R and VR, who would you say is "better"?

I am ONLY asking this because of the endless bitching I got from VR fans (many on IMDb) who told me, "At least these guys are rocking while Axl isn't doing anything."

Look, I really like VR. Fall to Pieces, Slither, Come On Come In, Dirty Little Thing - good songs.

But in my opinion, Axl is rocking harder on IRS than on any VR song and is composing more powerful ballads with The Blues and TWAT.

So...out of what we've heard SO FAR, which band do YOU think has produced better-quality work?

i dont think anyone on these boards prefers scott over axl for starters.

i've not heard any of the new vr, (if there is any) but if the last album is anything to go buy compariing them to the stuff i've heard from gnr i prefer gnr stuff.

Its like i dont really know what to expect from the new songs before i hear them, will it be a ballad? epic? rocker?

The songs from gnr have fallen into those 3 categories but they sound so fresh and different.

And as an album, i'd much prefer a good mix of the three rather than all rockers.

I can see a load of media hype around this as well VELVET REVOLVER VS. GNR

which will only promote sales etc.

NO DOWNLOAD REQUESTS, LYRICS POSTING, ETC... http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=62166

Anyway, now that we've heard a fair amount of material from GN'R and VR, who would you say is "better"?

I am ONLY asking this because of the endless bitching I got from VR fans (many on IMDb) who told me, "At least these guys are rocking while Axl isn't doing anything."

Look, I really like VR. Fall to Pieces, Slither, Come On Come In, Dirty Little Thing - good songs.

But in my opinion, Axl is rocking harder on IRS than on any VR song and is composing more powerful ballads with The Blues and TWAT.

So...out of what we've heard SO FAR, which band do YOU think has produced better-quality work?

I will say that for most of Axl's songs, I know I will be still be listening to them five years from now. Hell, it's five years since I first heard some of them like The Blues and Madagascar, and I still like them. I'm already tired of most of VR's songs.

Well, my opinion is biased since I think Velvet Revolver is terrible. I've never been a huge fan of Scott Weiland to begin with, and think his voice doesn't fit the type of music. That being said I like "Slither" a lot, and I think "Fall to Pieces" is a decent song, but other than that I really don't find myself listening to much VR.

Now, what are we comparing, just the leaked tracks or all of the "new" Guns material?

The leaked tracks are decent. I really find "There was a time" growing on me, and it happens to be my favorite of the three leaks. "Better" has potential, but I refuse to pass judgment on an incomplete track. "I.R.S." needs a bit of work, but I hear the potential in the track. Again, we're being asked to judge tracks that clearly(or hopefully) aren't complete yet. Bringing the other tracks "Madagascar", "The Blues", "Chinese Democracy", etc... into the discussion- hands down, Guns has the edge.

But again, I don't like VR to begin with.

as far as how good they will stack up in whether or not i prefer to listen to them won't be decided until i have given cd a listen or two. as far as which songs sound better musically i'm gonna say VR. the gnr stuff we've heard besides TWAT is just basic rock stuff and doesn't sound complex at all. the solo in twat sounds more like some fx pedal than shredding or two handed tapping to me. than and i can't even take IRS seriously just listen to the lyrics hahaha. if that is what cd is made up of then it'll be a joke. if it contains a lot of songs like TWAT it'll be amazing.

Guest JohnUlmer
asking this question on a GNR board is really quite stupid. Obviously we are all going to prefer GNR. :book:

its like asking this at a VR board, who do you think would win then?

Then ask them there if that's what you want to do.

I'd say "The Blues", "T.W.A.T.", and "Better" are the only new GN'R songs that superior to all the songs VR has put out. Seeing the cleaned up version of "IRS" gives me fresh interest in what the studio versions of the other older new GN'R songs will sound like.

really no comparison here, VR good band but in the end.....its really Axl that will put distance between the bands of former mates and Rose's new bandmates.......im tired of contraband....i dont listen to it anymore at all......but i still listen to all my gnr and the new bands stuff daily.

I think I speak for alot of people when i say I JUST CAN NOT FUCKIN WAIT FOR THIS CD!!

IM GONNA LOVE THIS ONE IF THE "LEAKS" ARE INDICITIVE OF WHATS AHEAD!

BUY ABOUT 10 COPIES AND BLOW THE ROOF OF MY FUCKIN HOUSE!!!!!!!!

CHEERS!

Guns N Roses is really good!

I never liked Velvet Revolver, Duff is the only one with style..anyway the VR songs seems to been made in a garage...

Better is a fantastic song, really hell yeah-!

Iv just watched VR at the Letherman show performing slither....Scot Weiland,what a fuckhead!He destroying the hole band!

Well,i have the VR album and i think is really good...

Fall to peaces is an awesome song,

But you can't compare Axl with Scott,

Axl is a better songwriter and an amazing frontman he's unique!!

TWAT and Better are brilliant!!

These 2 songs sounds so much better than the whole VR album..

I stay with Axl!!! :P

In my opinion VR rocks harder than GNR so far.

I do think that in one case GNR created a deeper sound than VR did.

Both seem capable of creating beautiful melodic sounding stuff, LTA for VR and the blues for GNR.

I think that of what we heard for the most part the two band went in very diferent directions of style, which is great. In simple terms Axl went for the bigger sound othe UYI albums had and VR went toward the harder heavier aspects.

YEs, the songs of both bands are different and 15 years removed and grown but the musical essence of who all of them are is still there.

New Gnr are using Slashs style of guitar at times, the long note holds and circular picking that people relate to that GNR sound, but the are also using completely different styles as well and VR on contraband was still writing for Axl in their way. Together they have a sound that belongs to none of them individually anymore

Scott because he's such a strong force, for better or worse, melodiclly and vocally creates the illusion that VR is a different band but i think the OLD GNR sound is still very much there.

I think that Axls album will validate and prove just how good VR is in it's way and VR will provide the contrast that allows people to really appreciate what Axl is doing as well. Axl Slash Duff matt and dizzy will as always provide compliment through contrast to each other even on different albums. When all is said and done I really believe that the two bands will complete each other in a weird way and reconcile alot of the venom fans have aimed at either band individually.

All my opinion, i could be wrong.

Edited by Nightcrawler

tbh heres the difference,

Axl Rose is a song writing and vocal genius, Scott Weiland plain out sucks, I could do a better job than him. Slither is the only really good song on Contraband because it has a superb riff, but thats Slash not Weiland, you need more than that. On There Was A Time it has mighty powerful lyrics, a guitar solo that can match almost any of Slash's (the extended version of the song has a even better solo) I'll be listening to Chinese Democracy in another 10 years and going, "oh my god this stuff just gets better" like I am now about the other guns n roses stuff from 10 years ago.

As for Contraband I occasionally put on Slither because its just a really good song with a great riff, but can it compare to true brilliance like Civil War or other powerful songs... not really. Smells Like Teen Spirit is another one I find falls into this catagory, I can't really understand Kurt Cobains voice even though I achknowledge what he did at that point in time, my impression of great bands is that great lyrics as well as music is required. Axl Rose just seems to ooze this and whoever he puts in the band seems to just create great music also (even though without Bucket I can't see them being as good, though Tobias was good)

but yeah... VR won't be legendary, Guns N Roses are and will forever remain that way.

IRS is harder than Slither?

Ouch..

-Kickingthehabit