Alice In Chains

sweetness

Alice In Chains  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Best band of the 90's.

Most powerful rock vocalist of all-time.

:rofl-lol:

It's true, I'm a singer and am amazed by Layne Staley, I'm sorry that you don't understand singing.

Best band of the 90's.

:rofl-lol:

It's true, I'm a singer and am amazed by Layne Staley, I'm sorry that you don't understand singing.

His vocals on Unplugged are not human.

Layne was indeed great, but he has nothing on Cornell. Listen to Smokestack Lightning for example...

"WHEELS GO DRIIIVING SLOOOOOOOOOW" rock3

Cornell never came across as genuine as Layne or as sincere vocally or lyrically

That's a fair call. Layne's lyrics were all very personal to him. Listening to Dirt can be quite unsettling.

Cornell is an insane vocalist, though. My lungs hurt just listening to Badmotorfinger.

People can say what they want about the "grunge" movement, but it did produce two of the all time great rock vocalists, imo.

sorry, man. It will annoy me if I dont correct you, but "Jerry" was there main song writer. Though, "Layne" did write a few of his own songs.

Again with the quote marks? It's just their names, dude.

Cantrell did do a lot of the writing, but Layne was behind some of the more harrowing tunes like Nutshell, Dirt, Junkhead & Rain When I Die.

Listen to Jeff Buckley, mate. He was the best in the '90s.

I don't think you need to tell Ohdistortedsmile how good Jeff Buckley was. ;)

I always thought they were good. Then i purchased their UNPLUGGED DVD.

Now I say they are UNBELIVABLE!

If you have not watched this DVD...GET IT NOW!

I think Alice in Chains UNPLUGGED is even better the Guns N Roses "Live at the Ritz"!

Layne Staley may be the best vocalist i have ever heard sing live.

Awesome.

Best band of the 90's.

I disagree. I won't laugh at the opinion, but I don't agree with that.

Who does your vote go to?

I like Alice in Chains because of Layne, because of Jerry's songwriting, and because of their superb harmonies. There are many reasons.

Pavement, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Guns N' Roses, and Jane's Addiction all come to mind. But since the whole of their material was released in the 90's, I like AIC for that title.

Read harder.

Jeff was a better singer, but Layne was more powerful. Listen to "Rooster" and the way he roars above the band, he was the most powerful rock vocalist of all time. You would be short-changing Buckley in calling him a rock singer as well.

My love still goes to REM, they may've gone off course towards the end of the decade after losing the drummer, but their early 90's work is fabulous. Especially Automatic For the People, which is still my only way of reaching epiphany.

Not particularly my bag, but I haven't listened to them enough either.

Jeff was a better singer, but Layne was more powerful. Listen to "Rooster" and the way he roars above the band, he was the most powerful rock vocalist of all time. You would be short-changing Buckley in calling him a rock singer as well.

True there, tho I love Laynes more soft singing more than his powerful. The start of Rooster is something completely amazing. And about the harmonies, Down in a Hole represents them best.

Man AIC is amazing. Just amazing; better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam by miles, and Soundgarden too in my opinion.

You should see Love, Hate, Love preformed live. Where he goes from soft to loud as fuck to soft again. Its crazy. They sounded so amazing live, I don't know how some bands could even attempt a live preformance after seeing a AIC concert (a good one, where Layne isn't fucked up :) ); they'd look pathetic.

Reading his last interview where he's dieing is some pretty depressing stuff.

Facelift is 50/50 in terms of good vs filler, but Dirt is a masterpiece.

Edit: Er, sorry for saying amazing so much, but damn they're frickin' amazing! :rofl-lol:

Edited by Ant

Like adnan i dont know if id say their awesome but they are very very good, i only own dirt but ive heard the unplugged a few times which is awesome, probaly better than nirvanas

sorry, man. It will annoy me if I dont correct you, but "Jerry" was there main song writer. Though, "Layne" did write a few of his own songs.

Again with the quote marks? It's just their names, dude.

Cantrell did do a lot of the writing, but Layne was behind some of the more harrowing tunes like Nutshell, Dirt, Junkhead & Rain When I Die.

I don't think you need to tell Ohdistortedsmile how good Jeff Buckley was. ;)

Layne was a great dark songwriter, but jerry wrote the songs that i prefer more

My love still goes to REM, they may've gone off course towards the end of the decade after losing the drummer, but their early 90's work is fabulous. Especially Automatic For the People, which is still my only way of reaching epiphany.

Good call there, surprised no one mentioned radiohead yet tho

Layne was a great dark songwriter, but jerry wrote the songs that i prefer more

Yeah, just depends on what sort of mood I'm in. I'd probably rate them equally as lyricists, with maybe Jerry just a fraction in front. This is why I just have so much respect for Cantrell, and have no problems with him playing under the the Alice In Chains name.

P.S. Go out and buy Jar of Flies right now. So different from Dirt (a lot softer and laid back) but still so insanely good.

Edited by Dead Flower