Guitar solos at the Hammerstein

Zint

As amazing as the Hammerstein show I attended on the 17th was,it seemed to me there were certain points when the momentum in the room seemed to drop a bit...and that was during ANY of the guitar solos.

The place would be rockin hard,and then it would be time for a solo.

Each and every time this happened I had shitloads of people pushing past me (and later returning holding several beers) or most likely going to the can.

Technically...good guitar work,but nothing that seemed to overly hold the crowd's enthusiasm in general.

People just stood there.

I thought to myself...man,they're losing a room of 3,500 people...imagine what's going to happen at the festivals!

Once the solo was over,there was polite applause...but the energy level wouldn't come back up until the band kicked into the next song.

Did anyone else find that the momentum slowed down during the solos,or did it work for you?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As amazing as the Hammerstein show I attended on the 17th was,it seemed to me there were certain points when the momentum in the room seemed to drop a bit...and that was during ANY of the guitar solos.

Each and every time this happened I had shitloads of people pushing past me (and later returning holding several beers) or most likely going to the can.

Technically...good guitar work,but nothing that seemed to overly hold the crowd's enthusiasm in general.

People just stood there.

I thought to myself...man,they're losing a room of 3,500 people...imagine what's going to happen at the festivals!

Once the solo was over,there was polite applause...but the energy level wouldn't come back up until the band kicked into the next song.

Did anyone else find that the momentum slowed down during the solos,or did it work for you?

I wasn't there, i'll tell it after I'll attend to the shows but... I can imagine why.............

Ahh, it`s nothing against Sorum`s 15min +++++ dead boring drum solos :book:

But it was only the drum solo ... but he was talking about each guitar solo...of all the songs..........pretty different........

No no i think he meant three three guitar solos where the guitarists were on their own, wirhout the rest of the band

he didn´t mean the solos in between the songs

I mean...when SLASH is on stage it's enough that he rises up his guitar for the momentum to reach hot levels!

Ahh, it`s nothing against Sorum`s 15min +++++ dead boring drum solos :book:

But it was only the drum solo ... but he was talking about each guitar solo...of all the songs..........pretty different........

No no i think he meant three three guitar solos where the guitarists were on their own, wirhout the rest of the band

he didn´t mean the solos in between the songs

Maybe zint61 could clarify this point... I guess it makes a difference

I agree. The solos were a bore. People were sitting down during them. :sleeper:

All the songs already have extended solos in them. Nice to say they played a 2 hour set, but playing solos in between solos just dragged the show down. Also the choice of songs were pretty funny considering this is the comeback of "the most dangerous band".

I agree that Matt's solos were tough to sit through as well, but at least he knew how to play. Brain can't even get the opening of Nighttrain right and he didn't even attempt YCBM. Maybe if he knew what he was doing we could have gotten a mix of drum and guitar solos, which would have made it a little more interesting for the crowd.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl

All the songs already have extended solos in them. Nice to say they played a 2 hour set, but playing solos in between solos just dragged the show down. Also the choice of songs were pretty funny considering this is the comeback of "the most dangerous band".

I'm curious, what songs did they choose?

I'm curious, what songs did they choose?

'Beautiful' by Christina Aguilera and 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' from the Wizard of Oz.

And I have no idea what the fuck Bumblefoot was trying to play.

People just stood there.

I noticed on the audience recordings from those shows there's a lot of talking by fans during the solo spots. Especially during Dizzy Reed's. But I can see why Axl includes them in the set. Gives people a chance to get to know the new band and for each of the new guys to be in the spotlight. But solo sections during any concert is usually the time for fans to go buy another beer or use the restroom.

I think the instrumental break before "The Blues" is quite nice. Dizzy's playing is awesome. It's a nice "intermission" after the string of hard rock songs that kick off the show. Gives the fans a chance to get their breath and introduces "Act 2" of the concert. And I could listen to Robin Finck all night. He's a very unique guitarist with an original sound.

The solos are the one thing that made me realize just how much I miss Slash. They got nothing on the solos he used to perform (Wild Horses, Godfather, the Hendrix song I'm always forgetting the name to). The band kicked ass playing the old songs though, which really is the most important thing I suppose.

Solos very rarely interest me regardless who's playing them.

That said I prefer the tunes slash plays over the weird stuff the new GnR have been playing - not saying I think they're shit, far from it, just that their choices are bizarre....

LP

The solos are the one thing that made me realize just how much I miss Slash. They got nothing on the solos he used to perform (Wild Horses, Godfather, the Hendrix song I'm always forgetting the name to). The band kicked ass playing the old songs though, which really is the most important thing I suppose.

The Hendrix song was Voodoo Chile, it was used as the intro to Civil War. I think that the solos during these recent shows did kinda kill the momentum of the show.

People just stood there.

Good observation. Maybe because it is because most the people there wern't really comfortable with the new band. Just an opinion.

rock4

The Hendrix song was Voodoo Chile, it was used as the intro to Civil War. I think that the solos during these recent shows did kinda kill the momentum of the show.

Yup thanks, and how Slash melded that into the start of CW was a treat to listen to.

Guitar solo sections don't seem to hold down an audience anyway. Not too many people wanna listen to a lone guitarist for 5 or 6 mins. They get enough solos during the songs anyway, so they don't really need a solo section, especially not 3 or 4.

Besides, Bucket has had the only solos in GN'R that stayed interesting all the way through. So now he's gone, just give up the solo section

bash slash

he's washed up and has no place in GNR now. This thread is just whining that he is no longer in the band :rolleyes: fuck him, who cares. he is not missed at all. Robin, Richard, and Ron are all 3 incredible guitarists who bring something unique and exciting to the table. I thought the shows were all amazing, better than anything from the old days.

Fortus and Finck were playing "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilerra.

To use Axl's words "oh my God!"

fuck yes, and it came out great! i dont even like the song, but they made it cool. It was cool before I figured out what it is, and its still cool. Its better than Slash's bullshit from the illusion tour.

I'm never too fussed about solos. If i'm watching a gig on DVD and a solo starts i'll always skip it. If i'm at a gig and a solo starts i'll listen but i'm always hoping it won't last too long and they'll rip into another song.

I agree that Matt's solos were tough to sit through as well, but at least he knew how to play. Brain can't even get the opening of Nighttrain right and he didn't even attempt YCBM. Maybe if he knew what he was doing we could have gotten a mix of drum and guitar solos, which would have made it a little more interesting for the crowd.

"Where was this guy when you hired Matt?" - Baz

R.

Edited by x_Estranged_x

I'm never too fussed about solos. If i'm watching a gig on DVD and a solo starts i'll always skip it. If i'm at a gig and a solo starts i'll listen but i'm always hoping it won't last too long and they'll rip into another song.

"Where was this guy when you hired Matt?" - Baz

R.

yep! I agree. Brain is leagues ahead of Matt in every way. Brain rocks! rock3

bash slash

he's washed up and has no place in GNR now. This thread is just whining that he is no longer in the band :rolleyes: fuck him, who cares. he is not missed at all. Robin, Richard, and Ron are all 3 incredible guitarists who bring something unique and exciting to the table. I thought the shows were all amazing, better than anything from the old days.

Fortus and Finck were playing "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilerra.

To use Axl's words "oh my God!"

fuck yes, and it came out great! i dont even like the song, but they made it cool. It was cool before I figured out what it is, and its still cool. Its better than Slash's bullshit from the illusion tour.

No it's not.