Guitar solos at the Hammerstein

Zint

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically he doesn't like Slash because he's partly black. So it's a dislike founded in irrationality.

:rolleyes: bullshit, thats a pretty fucked up statement to make :monkey: but whatever, I know how I feel and I dont care what you think.

I like the new band better, I'm entitled to my own opinions. I do love the old band, and you wont see me bash anything Slash did in the old guns.

Ah ha ha :rolleyes: What's this?:

fuck yes, and it came out great! i dont even like the song, but they made it cool. It was cool before I figured out what it is, and its still cool. Its better than Slash's bullshit from the illusion tour.

Basically he doesn't like Slash because he's partly black. So it's a dislike founded in irrationality.

:rolleyes: bullshit, thats a pretty fucked up statement to make :monkey: but whatever, I know how I feel and I dont care what you think.

I like the new band better, I'm entitled to my own opinions. I do love the old band, and you wont see me bash anything Slash did in the old guns.

fuck yes, and it came out great! i dont even like the song, but they made it cool. It was cool before I figured out what it is, and its still cool. Its better than Slash's bullshit from the illusion tour.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Classic.

On topic: I haven't heard the solos from this year, but I imagine they aren't too bad.

dude don't act like Slash didn't do too much soloing on the illusions tour. Before Civil War, Before he played the Godfather, all that shit. It was just too long. It was like '.... ok lets play the song already!'. But I won't bash the music he wrote.

As great as I think Slash is,watching the Illusions dvd he played the same repeatative shit on different spots on the stage right up until the Godfather theme. So fucking what!

If you don't like it,don't go. I'll never understand why people paid money to see a band they have been complaining about for 4 Godamn years. :rolleyes:

As great as I think Slash is,watching the Illusions dvd he played the same repeatative shit on different spots on the stage right up until the Godfather theme. So fucking what!

If you don't like it,don't go. I'll never understand why people paid money to see a band they have been complaining about for 4 Godamn years. :rolleyes:

and let me add I love the Godfather Theme. Thats Slash at his best rock3 but the stuf leading up to it :sleeper:

Back to the topic at hand again, I can't wait to see what Ron Thal has in store for us this summer rock4

and let me add I love the Godfather Theme. Thats Slash at his best rock3 but the stuf leading up to it :sleeper:

Back to the topic at hand again, I can't wait to see what Ron Thal has in store for us this summer rock4

Agreed. Slash is a great player..Always will be. But when I watch the Illusions dvd I skip the part leading up to the Godfather theme. "It cracks my tv screen" :lol: j/k.

.... dude don't act like Slash didn't do too much soloing on the illusions tour. Before Civil War, Before he played the Godfather, all that shit. It was just too long. It was like '.... ok lets play the song already!'. But I won't bash the music he wrote.

:huh:

Dude, you lost me here.

"Too much soloing?" What does this mean? You don't like guitar solos? Are you serious?

Great innovative guitar solos are central to real rock n roll. That's one of the things that made GNR so great - and separates the band from others that are out there now.

Now, let's get back on topic.

Why are people bringing Slash into a thread about the Hammerstein solos?

Please stay on topic. If you want to talk about Slash, please go to the VR section.

I listened to the solo's. Not bad at all.

The Slash talk should completely stop in this section in my opinion. Unless of course it's a thread about the lawsuit.

i think they are a big improvment from the 2002 shows. Robin's bits before SCOM and PC have both gotten better. And Fortus's pre-nightrain solo is pretty cool, and his and Robin's duo of that Christina Agulera song. They keep them short and sweet.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Classic.

On topic: I haven't heard the solos from this year, but I imagine they aren't too bad.

I don't think they were bad, and I don't think many people here do. They just didn't really blow anyone away, except for A_D perhaps.

The work they did in the actual songs is great though. Robin's solo in Better was one of the highlights for me. Watching him step up to the front of the stage and play it perfectly. It was amazing. An amazing solo.

Shit, I can't believe Rio is like five days away. rock1

The work they did in the actual songs is great though. Robin's solo in Better was one of the highlights for me. Watching him step up to the front of the stage and play it perfectly. It was amazing. An amazing solo.

yes! it was just how I pictured it from the first time I heard the solo.. only Robin had a skullet in my head :rofl-lol: such a great song.

I liked the Fortus rendition of Beautiful, it went on a bit too long, but it was still cool.

Robin's was pretty much in the style of 2002, and therefore kind of lame.

Bumblefoot's just seemed to have no direction and no real purpose. Just a bunch of random bits of playing stuck together. The kind of shit you'd hear a guy trying out a guitar at a music store would do.

The thing that bugged me about them all, was that each of the 3 guys chose to do really slow, mellow stuff. Which kinda clashes with the agressive kick ass energy of G&R when they're doing something like Michelle. It's like, come on, this ain't a Celine Dion show. Let's rock!!

My apologies,I should have made myself clearer when I started the thread.I was referring to the individual solos they performed on their own.

Their solos during the songs were great (the odd sloppy moment or two but nothing serious).

I can't believe the race card was played in this thread...good gawd!

Anyway...my intentions were not to compare old and new ( as EVERYTHING seems to turn into around here lately).Slash is a rock icon...period...nuff said.

My observations at the Hammerstein were..

a)Robin has improved ten fold (a tad sloppy here and there in his leads)

b)Richard is kicking major fucking ass on stage!

c)Bumblefoot was low key,but added a nice dynamic to the overall sound...good call on Axl's part.

However...back to the topic I raised...there was no question the momentum of the live show stalled when the individual solos kicked in.Madison is correct,any great rock band will showcase guitar solos.However...the solos don't always make the band stand out from the pack.I've seen live guitar solos that have totally captivated me (Eddie Van Halen,Frank Zappa,Alex Lifeson etc.).

The closest anyone came to keeping my attention at the Hammerstein was Richard Fortus,his solo had some style and substance to it.

Guitar skills should be used in a way that keeps the audience involved,captivated,wanting to hear more.

I'm not sure that was happening at the Hammerstein,it's one thing to listen to the bootlegs and say the solos sounded fine.But when you're caught up in the lightening storm of a GnR gig,it's another thing to have everything grind to a halt while Robin quietly finger picks a melodic solo.

All in all though...I observed the crowd during the individual solos,and air was definitely leaking out of the balloon during them.I think it may have been hit upon in a recent post,the solos (Robin in particular) were slow and melodic...somewhat conservative,and as someone stated...it's a frikkin GnR concert,come on...rock out for god's sake!

If people are going to get antsy during a solo in a small venue...what's going to happen in front of a full arena...or a full blown festival?

Maybe they will watch the Hammerstein tapes and decide to put some pepper in the solos...who knows?

But it's interesting to see everybody's opinion on the matter..

Edited by zint61

My apologies,I should have made myself clearer when I started the thread.I was referring to the individual solos they performed on their own.

Their solos during the songs were great (the odd sloppy moment or two but nothing serious).

I can't believe the race card was played in this thread...good gawd!

Anyway...my intentions were not to compare old and new ( as EVERYTHING seems to turn into around here lately).Slash is a rock icon...period...nuff said.

My observations at the Hammerstein were..

a)Robin has improved ten fold (a tad sloppy here and there in his leads)

b)Richard is kicking major fucking ass on stage!

c)Bumblefoot was low key,but added a nice dynamic to the overall sound...good call on Axl's part.

The only reason I mentioned Finck's solo in Better was to say how great the in song solos were compared to the individual solos, which I totally agree with you on. They really did nothing for me. And I also agree about Fortus - a very good player, and has a ton of energy on stage. He was fun to watch buzzing around on stage and just has the cool moves like Slash did. Robin is pretty charismatic too.

Comparing old to new...it's hard to avoid the comparisons when the history of the band is such as it is for GN'R. That's all I'll say about that.

Guitar skills should be used in a way that keeps the audience involved,captivated,wanting to hear more.

I'm not sure that was happening at the Hammerstein,it's one thing to listen to the bootlegs and say the solos sounded fine.But when you're caught up in the lightening storm of a GnR gig,it's another thing to have everything grind to a halt while Robin quietly finger picks a melodic solo.

I think this is where we disagree. The solos for me I think just weren't melodic enough, or maybe it's that the melodies didn't work for me. You're talking to a guy that loved the old solos...Wild Horses, Godfather, Voodoo Child, I Was Only Joking, etc. These aren't rocking out kinds of solos, they are pretty melodic, though some are certainly harder than others. But nothing too nuts. They were beautiful. I don't care much to hear a bunch of shredding or something that is really hard rocking unless it has some sort of melodic quality that moves me. What those guys played was kind of melodic, but it was a bland kind of melodic, the hooks weren't there I suppose (if that's the right term, I'm not sure). Everyone's looking for something a little bit different I guess.

.... dude don't act like Slash didn't do too much soloing on the illusions tour. Before Civil War, Before he played the Godfather, all that shit. It was just too long. It was like '.... ok lets play the song already!'. But I won't bash the music he wrote.

:huh:

Dude, you lost me here.

"Too much soloing?" What does this mean? You don't like guitar solos? Are you serious?

Great innovative guitar solos are central to real rock n roll. That's one of the things that made GNR so great - and separates the band from others that are out there now.

EXACTLY!

Guitar Solos are fucking AWESOME!!!! Some metalheads i know live for the solos, so dont u fuckers go and say fuck solos, they suck, theyre boring, they have no part in rock n' roll. But dont get me wrong, the gay ones bands these days try to pull off, suck dick. Slash is a fucking god when it comes to solos, but i think that Fortus, Finck and Bumblefoot are very good and theyll do an amazing job.

Shame Bucket isn't around to do one of those amazing acoustic solos.

It's a shame Slash isn't around anymore.

Sorry, had to say it. Someone would have eventually.

gee....ya think?

lol

I will say this though...I thought Dizzy's rendition of Something was excellent.

It clearly went over the head of many a drunken stooge,but it was nice to hear a good chunk of people singing along to it.