Does anyone else think...

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Oh man you just have to love this board filled to the limits with people who can´t take it that other people think unlike themselves and feel the need to use terms like "shut the fuck up" etc. Do you guys ever come out of your little bubble-computer-world and actually meet new people that aren´t just an avatar and some letters on a screen? (webcams don´t count!)

:P

Axl has always had a special live voice but to say "he´s back" is not justified by his latest performances. I think it´s great GN´R are back on tour and all, but hey, we still must be able to say what we feel about it without people getting al pissy about it.

Listen to a calm song like "November Rain" from the RIR 2006 show and you´ll notice that even there for the most parts his voice is weak. It goes on and off and he did some some songs really great, but all this "he´s back" talk pretending we´re back in the 90´s again is just like sticking the head in the sand.

Oh, right and before you start bashing my screen with bad words about me not being a real fan and what not, take a look at the G-section of my record collection right here: http://pop.nu/show_collection.asp?user=6727

;)

Edited by Lukinx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man you just have to love this board filled to the limits with people who can´t take it that other people think unlike themselves and feel the need to use terms like "shut the fuck up" etc. Do you guys ever come out of your little bubble-computer-world and actually meet new people that aren´t just an avatar and some letters on a screen? (webcams don´t count!)

:P

Axl has always had a special live voice but to say "he´s back" is not justified by his latest performances. I think it´s great GN´R are back on tour and all, but hey, we still must be able to say what we feel about it without people getting al pissy about it.

Listen to a calm song like "November Rain" from the RIR 2006 show and you´ll notice that even there for the most parts his voice is weak. It goes on and off and he did some some songs really great, but all this "he´s back" talk pretending we´re back in the 90´s again is just like sticking the head in the sand.

Oh, right and before you start bashing my screen with bad words about me not being a real fan and what not, take a look at the G-section of my record collection right here: http://pop.nu/show_collection.asp?user=6727

;)

:huh: You do know you just agreed with me right?

In the second part yes, in the "shut the fuck up" part no.

I do get over-defensive, that's why I only post here if I'm very sure of myself.

I'm a singer and for what its worth or not worth I'll tell you what I think. Axl wants to sound the way he does now, it's a choice. The reason? The new songs require that light falsetto, at least that's the way he wants them to be sung. If he didn't want to sound clear on those songs he could blow the top and scream through all the songs and sound just like the old Axl... I wish he would do this and forget about that clean falsetto sound. If you don't trust this logic scream for a day then try to sing falsetto, your falsetto will be gone. In order to save his falsetto Axl screams only when he really needs to unlike the old days when he'd go all out. Axl in my opinion your clean falsetto sucks as does anyone's but thats my opinion. Push it like you use to and fry the monitors like days of old or not, obviously you've already chosen.

I'm a singer and for what its worth or not worth I'll tell you what I think. Axl wants to sound the way he does now, it's a choice. The reason? The new songs require that light falsetto, at least that's the way he wants them to be sung. If he didn't want to sound clear on those songs he could blow the top and scream through all the songs and sound just like the old Axl... I wish he would do this and forget about that clean falsetto sound. If you don't trust this logic scream for a day then try to sing falsetto, your falsetto will be gone. In order to save his falsetto Axl screams only when he really needs to unlike the old days when he'd go all out. Axl in my opinion your clean falsetto sucks as does anyone's but thats my opinion. Push it like you use to and fry the monitors like days of old or not, obviously you've already chosen.

Well, a clean falsetto is pretty useless in Hard Rock music. I think he just isn't capable of screaming all night anymore.

Axl defanetly has some work to do with his voice, it sounds like he isnt even trying. :no:

wot are you basing this on :question: did you go see any of these shows?

Yeah, and it was pretty bad. I hope its just a one night thing, he didnt sound so weak at NY.

Well, a clean falsetto is pretty useless in Hard Rock music. I think he just isn't capable of screaming all night anymore.

I'd agree with your statement but after hearing the demos for the new songs, Axl seems to think a clean falsetto does have a place in rock.. and he's surely capable of laying down some screaming vocals in the studio. I think it's a style choice he's made.

I'd agree with your statement but after hearing the demos for the new songs, Axl seems to think a clean falsetto does have a place in rock.. and he's surely capable of laying down some screaming vocals in the studio. I think it's a style choice he's made.

Perhaps, either way it doesn't sound good to me.

IMHO, as a singer with similar vocal problems with axl:

- He should get the guitars to tune down another half step (i think they play with e flat tuning, so they could go down to d) or simply rewrite some of the older, more challengin stuff in different keys; most fans wouldn't notice. I know I'd rather have him do a lot comfortably than a little in a higher key.

- He should have written his newer stuff with touring in mind. The new stuff he's written is too high, and there are too many vocals (it's like he's trying to fit everything he can think of into every song). One of the golden rules I learnt was to always write in a higher tuning than you perform in.

Edited by Maddergascar

Axl defanetly has some work to do with his voice, it sounds like he isnt even trying. :no:

wot are you basing this on :question: did you go see any of these shows?

Listen to Its So Easy from Rio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LCNcpnfr3c&search=guns%20n%20roses%20rio).

I know the sound quality is terrible, but it really highlights how Axl struggles from time to time. He just sounds really out of stream and its only the second tune. Maybe he put hell of a lot in Jungle at the start...... :unsure:

LA

we gotta face reallity guys, axl doesn't sound diffrent cuz he chooses to, he sounds diffrent because he's older, and the way he sings ruins your vocal cords, just try singing at the note he sings for a whole song, with a raspy sound to it, you'll see after youv'e tried it for only one song that you'll have a scorched throat.

its actually amazing that he can still do some of the things he used to do after all the dammge he sustained through the years.

its seems to me that he's voice sounded the worst on songs like "its so easy" when he sings on a lower note, similar to he's speaking voice, he sounds very fragile...

when he screams he's usually closer to nailing it allthough he's not as raspy.

he did sound better on the NYC shows, but I don't think he can pull off an intens tour, ( I really really hope I'm wrong!!!)

anyway just seeing axl live is amazing, evan in the old days there were songs he could never do the way they were recorded... (no one can sing SCOM the way axl recorded it, exept from a 25 years old axl).

let's just enjoy whatever the new guns give us...

that's what I think anyway.... :unsure:

I've been listening to a lot of bootlegs from Axl spanning all the years. In the early years of Axl's carreer his voice was a lot clearer than we all remember it. Listen to bootlegs from 87 england tour I think. Axl was at his best in the early 90's. I think the years of not touring has weakened his voice. I think his voice will get stronger and raspier the more he sings. For most singers this is the fear, but for Axl it's exactly what he wants/needs. He just needs to sing more, push more. I'll garauntee over the years of "practicing" he's never pushed his voice like he did in the early 90's night after night giving those legendary performances we all remember. So Axl tour your ass off, and by next year I think you'll sound unbelievable.

I was at the first Hammerstein show, and have watched many of the RIO performances, and I think he sounds the best on the new tunes (IRS, Better and the Blues). I mean on IRS, he really is screaming and sounds fantastic. I think he sounds great regardless, but I think the new tunes sound the best (vocally) for whatever reason.

Remember what he said at one of the NY shows, from GNRontour:
Axl tells the crowd how Sebastian Bach saved the day, as when he woke up, he'd lost his voice, and he saw a vocal coach to get his voice back.

Axl is getting old, and his style is so self-destructive, he may have some serious, possibly insurmountable problems in the future.

Just so you know :

Technically speaking :

The older you get, the more mature your singing voice gets and the best it is.

Age works wonders on a voice and does the contrary to looks.

But getting older is not what will hurt axl's voice, ever.

And again so you know, yesterday, i lost my voice and was about to cancell my singing lesson.

She told me to come today, i did and it worked, we worked slowly on diff. exercises and the voice came back.

S. Bach just gave axl a good person's phone number, so it'll be much appreciated if you put your trust into axl , and INTO HIS VOCAL COACH.

If you can't trust him, at least, make the effort to understand he surrounded by professionals who know what they are doing.

Cheers.

Hes given himself a few days rest between shows though, and most of them have a day inbetween at least, so hopefully that will help him recover. So long as he looks after himself he'll be fine :)

Grimo.

i think the problem is with the expectation for him to sound like he did when lets face it, no one ever does, voices change, its not a question of better or worse, just different. but the nature of 21st century fan-dom is that if ur not consistent to the fanbases delusional stuck-in-the-past masturbations, the words "not like he used to be" come into play and are immediatly percieved as a shortcoming when lets face it, nothing is ever like what is used to be. name a singer whoose voice still sounds EXACTLY the same after 20 plus years of being a performer?? exactly.

Edited by marina

i think the problem is with the expectation for him to sound like he did when lets face it, no one ever does, voices change, its not a question of better or worse, just different. but the nature of 21st century fan-dom is that if ur not consistent to the fanbases delusional stuck-in-the-past masturbations, the words "not like he used to be" come into play and are immediatly percieved as a shortcoming when lets face it, nothing is ever like what is used to be. name a singer whoose voice still sounds EXACTLY the same after 20 plus years of being a performer?? exactly.

Tom Jones :krider:

Paul Stanley

Sammy Hagar

Luciano Pavarotti

Paul Stanley

Sammy Hagar

Luciano Pavarotti

all of those changed drastically, listened to early tom jones n even pavarotti, it took a lot more out of him towards the end. and ok, sammy hagar i cant comment on cuz i've never found him in the least bit interesting