Does anyone know the story behind Robin Finck joining GNR

fishyguy

Guest Matt13

Funny? The real story is Axl was/is a HUGE fan of NIN/Trent Reznor. When Slash brought "5 O'Clock Somewhere' to the table as the next GNR album in 94, Axl tried to convince him that they had to evolve. He used NIN as a prime example of the direction he (Axl) wanted to go in. That's Slash's version of the story. Go look it up on his fan site.

I think that in itself is the whole Robin/GNR connection. Axl wanted that sound, so he brought Trent's sidekick into the fold when Slash walked. Slash walked, BTW, because of Paul Huge/Tobias... and Axl's insistence to not use Slash's material for the next GNR album (5 O'Clock Somewhere), not because Axl brought Robin into the fold to play alongside him.

I think Robin doesn't do any of the old stuff, with the exception of SCOM, any justice. But in the new stuff it's obvious he's the driving force. Of what we've heard (TWAT, IRS, CITR, BETTER- "A Robin Tune" as Axl put it in NY on 5/14), I think it's only the tip of the iceburg. After CD is released, and especially after a second album (which is supposed to 'evolve' from the first) we'll hear and understand exactly why Robin is in the fold... and I think we'll like it.

Edited by Matt13

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Robin doesn't do any of the old stuff, with the exception of SCOM, any justice. But in the new stuff it's obvious he's the driving force. Of what we've heard (TWAT, IRS, CITR, BETTER- "A Robin Tune" as Axl put it in NY on 5/14), I think it's only the tip of the iceburg. After CD is released, and especially after a second album (which is supposed to 'evolve' from the first) we'll hear and understand exactly why Robin is in the fold... and I think we'll like it.

I agree. I like Finck's stuff in the leaks.

That's part of the reason it's so frustrating that we still have no album, and that the live shows are still just nostalgia trips.

Who cares about Finck, i want to know the story of the main man of GNR : Pittman rock1

chuck norris used to be pittman's neighbor, until chuck (fed up with hearing the beeps from pittman's house) delivered a kick that send pittman into axl's studio. axl took it as a sign from god, and he was right.

I read somewhere that Axl and Matt went to see Cirque du soleil and they liked him and Matt suggested he could be a good rythm guitarist for the band and Axl said " no, I want him to play lead" or something like that, but I don´t remember it very well.

man i have to tell you i have loved the idea of finck being in since he joined axl back in 98 or 99 not really sure but i was super pissed he left to go back to nin anyway i didn't like how everybody called him a freak i mean the man can really play the guitar and i just think his new look is fuckin out of this world and i just want them to do a group photo! come on axl get it done

Yes I know what you mean totally. They do all fit very well. In 2002 they were just getting use to the idea of being together. Now they really fit well. And yes I am a big Robin fan too! I was so mad when he went back to NIN, but was freaking out when he came back to gnr. I hope he and the others know how well they fit!!! I for one am very glad to have each and everyone of them! And Ron is doing a great job! Not an easy thing to do coming in on such a short notice!

Screw the others who think one or the other members shouldn't be in the band. If they didn't fit Axl would have cut them a long time ago! If He can work with them and they can all get along I am happy!!

peace

no i think some people on here are really lost there fucking minds, finck is the new slash like it or not i am glad he is the lead guitar player in the band let fortus at rythme and ron as the second lead guitar player but have fortus doing some solo's like he has been finck is a much better giutar player then fortus i think, but i have to say i was impressed by fortus at the rio show he is great, and i agree with the some of the other that finck along side axl are the driving force behind this band i think tommy is thrid in line.

I think Robin would be better at rhythm guitar. He is the least technically skilled guitar player in the new band. I see Robin as the Izzy of the new band in the sense that I think Robin and Axl are the driving creative forces behind the new GnR.

i aggree there

I agree as well.

~M

well... he's not a looker and scott isnt a looker.. so its pretty obviously axl was tryuing to find the ugliest band members possible since he couldnt have the greatest band anymore he took ugliest.. vr outdid him by adding scott... now axl has best comeback

And Axl said, Let there be Finck: and there was Finck.

And Axl saw that it was good.

:book:

:rofl-lol:

And Axl THOUGHT it was good

well... he's not a looker and scott isnt a looker.. so its pretty obviously axl was tryuing to find the ugliest band members possible since he couldnt have the greatest band anymore he took ugliest.. vr outdid him by adding scott... now axl has best comeback

:rofl-lol: TOO FUNNY!

I think Robin would be better at rhythm guitar. He is the least technically skilled guitar player in the new band. I see Robin as the Izzy of the new band in the sense that I think Robin and Axl are the driving creative forces behind the new GnR.

Hell no i love finck i think he's the most talented guitarist in GNR right now he's great he's kicked ass thus far in GNR B)

Well except for in 02 but he's wasn't terrible

Edited by Axel1304

Chris Pitman told Axl to get Robin Fink. There never was any real band it was purely Chris Pitman making us think there was using his awsome power.

dont you guys ever geth fucking tired with the Chris Pittman jokes?!

Yes, it was funny in the beginning, but COME ON!

What is really funny is that Duff AND Robin were in GNR at the same time.

The veteran rocker and the industrial. What a weird combination would that be

Stinson is also a veteran rocker you know

What is really funny is that Duff AND Robin were in GNR at the same time.

The veteran rocker and the industrial. What a weird combination would that be

Stinson is also a veteran rocker you know

Good point

I like the idea of conflicting musical talents in a band, you get chinese democracy that way ;)