An Honest Review of last night

Deicide

What follows is a piece I have written for various on-line sources about last nights gig. Before you read this, PLEASE bare in mind that I am a huge GNR fan. They are the only band i am interested in - seriously. Since I picked up Appetite For Destruction in 1989 I have benn OBSESSED by them. Therefore, please do not think that i am jumping on them, or slagging off the new band - I am not. The review is is honest and from the heart.

The reason I say this is because I have had a lot of negative comments from a certain webmaster about the column, but i fail to see why being honest can upset somebody.

Anyway, without further ado, I hope you enjoy and agree/disagree with my words, and please mail me with any feedback (roland_savage@yahoo.co.uk)

GUNS N ROSES - NEWCASTLE METRORADIO ARENA - 19/07/06

We arrived at the MetroRadio arena in good spirits around 6:15. Since the Use Your Illusion Albums had been released myself and Craig had dreamed of one day seeing GN'R live, and to be honest, never actually believed we would have the chance. I had bought tickets for the show they were supposed to be doing in Leeds a few years back but it was cancelled.

Anyway, when we saw that they had announced a European tour for 2006 we jumped at the chance and purchased our tickets and waited patiently for 19th July.

Having arrived early (the doors were advertised to open at 6:30) we found a notice on the doors of the arenas. 'The show is not due to finish until 11:45pm and the management offers apologies on behalf of the artist.' Did this mean they were going to play for three hours, I thought. We would find out later.

After cuing at the concessions stand the first strange event of the evening took place. Axl had seemingly personally requested that no (plastic) bottles be sold to the audience. I couldn't believe this, as it meant carrying cups of water/beer/fanta about all night, spilling everywhere. You couldn’t even take a bottle of water into the pit with you later! The reason for this request by Axl would become apparent as the night wore on.

Just after seven we sore the stage lights go down and Sebastian Bach came on. After a really solid, well paced set he left and soon after we sore upstarts Bullet for my Valentine take the stage. We were not here for the support acts at all, but have to admit that BFMV looked pretty good as the arena was filling up nicely for the arrival of who we all wanted to see. BFMY left the stage at I think was about half eight.

As happens at gigs such as this, everybody with standing tickets then started to make their way to the front, and everybody with sitting tickets began to sit down and be ready for the main event. Little did we fans realize that Axl would keep us waiting until 10:15 before he came on! Squashed onto the floor like an overcrowded tin of sardines, dying of thirst (but being unable to carry a bottle of water) for a couple of hours was not the most enjoyable experience. We heard many people saying throughout the ordeal that they would give him ten more minutes and then they would go home.

I was heard saying Craig on more than one occasion, 'How can he do this to his fans? We have paid nearly £50 for these tickets and he just doesn't care.' By this point the crowd was booing raucously, unlike anything I have ever heard after ten years of gigging. I really did not think that Axl would come out at all after hearing this.

As the clock hit 10:15, however, the lights went down, the fireworks went off and out came Axl, and his ever growing, band of merry men. They ripped through an awesome rendition of Welcome to the Jungle, before following it up with possibly the best moment of the night (It's So Easy) and then Mr. Brownstone.

The show plodded along at a good rate from here, as the crowd went mental for classic covers of Live and Let Die and Knockin' on Heavens Door.

Now, I understand that GN'R have always incorporated solos into their live show, but what happened tonight was a joke. All three guitarists, and keyboard player Dizzy Reed (who looked painfully thin) all had their own solos. To me this meant one thing - time wasting. An example was when one of the guitarists used his solo to play a full instrumental version of Don't Cry. It left me asking why Axl didn't just come out and play the song, vocal and all.

The night did pick up, however, with storming success as they belted their way through Sweet Child, November Rain and You Could Be Mine, and Madagascar.

At around half eleven, Sebastian Bach came out for his usual rendition of My Michelle and then Axl invited 'Old Friend' Izzy Stradlin onto the stage for a moment of jamming (although by this point we have four guitarists, a bass player, two keyboardists...) and a rundown of some old classics.

I was surprised when the band ripped into one of my personal favorites (and most underrated GN'R songs) Think About you, although when they played Patience I was in Guns heaven.

By this point I had forgiven Axl for all the stupidity earlier in the evening, and was already considering trying to get tickets to another show on the tour. Things soon can change in this business…

The band burst into Nightrain, with the crowd going crazy, singing every word in unison. Then something very strange happened. A fan threw a pound coin which hit Axl in the face. He muttered something, told the band to stop playing and then walked off the stage, mid-song, and said ‘Good night.’ He then returned a few minutes later, told the crowd to tell security if they saw anyone throwing anything, and started Nightrain again.

The song drew to a close, the lights went out and Axl simply said ‘The show is over,’ and the houselights came on.

I couldn’t believe this childishness. We had just seen a GN’R set without Paradise City. Everyone expected an encore but none came. I was so angry that for the entire journey home I cursed the man and promised to end my musical relationship with him.

Having slept on it I stick to my Guns (no pun intended). The man walked off stage like a spoilt brat and didn’t finish his set. I understand that he did play for 2 hours (by this point it was 12.15am) but by not playing Paradise City it was like going to see Sabbath and them not playing Paranoid.

All in all, much of the set was fantastic, but there were too many signs of the lack of respect which Axl has for his fans. He couldn’t care less what we think of him, because he knows we will still all listen to his music, and if the album ever comes out, we will buy it in droves.

That is all except me, however. Axl, you have lost a fan of twenty years with you dummy-spitting performance tonight.

Edited by Deicide

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk about a lack of respect from axl towards the fans, what about the lack of respect shown towards him by the fans, throwing a pound coin at the guy ffs! if some dick head chucked a coin at me i sure as hell wouldnt just shrug it off and go on as if nothing had happened. axl shold have dived into the crowd like the old days and kicked that fools teeth down his neck.

everybody knows don't throw anything to Axl because he get's pissed off, You can't blame Axl, you can blame the motherfucker who has thrown the coin..

Ever heard the saying two wrongs don't make a right?

I totally agree with Deicide. I've heard the 'supposed' coin ( I don't care what anyone says, no one saw it), hit him in the leg.

But that’s' ROCK AND ROLL!!! Axel is old school, he'll have had much worse chucked at him in the past.

I was so enjoying the gig up until that point. At one stage I found myself saying, "this is the best gig I've been to". And I've even seen the original line up play.........Axel was on top form. I even forgave the ropey lyrics on 'Out Ta Get Me' and 'Think About You'. But to stomp off like that is no way to treat your fans. That action ruined what was a brilliant gig for me.

Edited by GNRDude

How anyone can blame Axl for this I'll never know. Throwing coins is absolutly insane! What must go through someones mind in order for them to throw a coin/bottle.

I'm guessing it wasn't the first thing that was thrown - otherwise I'm sure he wouldn't have taken off. It is stange that Axl didn't give any warnings though.

everybody knows don't throw anything to Axl because he get's pissed off, You can't blame Axl, you can blame the motherfucker who has thrown the coin..

I totally agree with Deicide. I've heard the 'supposed' coin ( I don't care what anyone says, no one saw it), hit him in the leg.

But that’s' ROCK AND ROLL!!! Axel is old school, he'll have had much worse chucked at him in the past.

I was so enjoying the gig up until that point. At one stage I found myself saying, "this is the best gig I've been to". And I've even seen the original line up play.........Axel was on top form. I even forgave the ropey lyrics on 'Out Ta Get Me' and 'Think About You'. But to stomp off like that is no way to treat your fans. That action ruined what was a brilliant gig for me.

Axl is in his mid 40's - he's not a kid anymore with a "dont give a fuck" attitude. If he chooses not to put up with this shit, then that's his choice. We all know from the past that he is, shall we say a little tempramental (sp?), so why antagonise him by throwing a coin. How the hell would you like it?? You say it only hit him in the leg - why would he continue - maybe so he can have the "pleasure" of getting hit in the face. You have to remember he also has a responsiblity to his fellow band members.

No, because English isn't my home language, so appologise for that.. and if we start bitching, you can't even spell Axl's name right:) but that's pretty lame for some adults, isn't it?

Axl is in his mid 40's - he's not a kid anymore with a "dont give a fuck" attitude. If he chooses not to put up with this shit, then that's his choice. We all know from the past that he is, shall we say a little tempramental (sp?), so why antagonise him by throwing a coin. How the hell would you like it?? You say it only hit him in the leg - why would he continue - maybe so he can have the "pleasure" of getting hit in the face. You have to remember he also has a responsiblity to his fellow band members.

Axl has never put up with shit.

At the end of the day he went off stage and made his point. Leaving before the encore was just pure spite.

He should be thankful that he has such loyal fans that are willing to pay £40, and wait nearly four hours for him to show. Not stomping off stage because 'one' fan threw something and what no one knows.

No, because English isn't my home language, so appologise for that.. and if we start bitching

Wasn't bitching........was just saying..

Just wait until a similar thing happens at one of your gigs.......I guarantee you'll be just a peeved.

I have thought about this so so much today.

Nobody deserves to have a coin thrown at them for any reason, so i do feel for Axl. But there is no way he should have left without an encore. He ruined one of the best nights of my life. And what is really annoying mne is the amount of people who are defending the man! I understand that he is temperamental and he was pissed off, but a proffesional does not leave a job incomplete.

Someone mailed me today and told me that we should be happy cos they played 22 of the 23 songs they usually play. WHY should we be happy? We pay cash to see a full show.

What aslo annoyed me was the way he went off. If he was that worried about what had happened, then why did he come back on at all? And if he was coming back on, then why didnt he play Paradise City then instead of restarting Nightrain?

I think that AXL is under a lot of stress!! He is leading and creating the superband of the 21st century! Everyone knows that he is hot tempered, so give the guy some slack! He will shut up many mouths around the world with the new album, wait and see..

HAIL AXL!!!!

I have thought about this so so much today.

Nobody deserves to have a coin thrown at them for any reason, so i do feel for Axl. But there is no way he should have left without an encore. He ruined one of the best nights of my life. And what is really annoying mne is the amount of people who are defending the man! I understand that he is temperamental and he was pissed off, but a proffesional does not leave a job incomplete.

Someone mailed me today and told me that we should be happy cos they played 22 of the 23 songs they usually play. WHY should we be happy? We pay cash to see a full show.

What aslo annoyed me was the way he went off. If he was that worried about what had happened, then why did he come back on at all? And if he was coming back on, then why didnt he play Paradise City then instead of restarting Nightrain?

By the way, I really like "Deicide"! :anger:

Your "honest" review is clouded by

your anger,my friend.

YOU sound like an angry spoiled brat.

Would you still be so angry if you'd

gotten your "paradise"?

You got 2 hours!! You got to SEE them!!

You should know(I think you're old enough) that

as the "stones" say "you can't always get what you want"!!

Ask yourself " what would I do in his situation"? "HONESTLY"!!

What follows is a piece I have written for various on-line sources about last nights gig. Before you read this, PLEASE bare in mind that I am a huge GNR fan. They are the only band i am interested in - seriously. Since I picked up Appetite For Destruction in 1989 I have benn OBSESSED by them. Therefore, please do not think that i am jumping on them, or slagging off the new band - I am not. The review is is honest and from the heart.

The reason I say this is because I have had a lot of negative comments from a certain webmaster about the column, but i fail to see why being honest can upset somebody.

Anyway, without further ado, I hope you enjoy and agree/disagree with my words, and please mail me with any feedback (roland_savage@yahoo.co.uk)

GUNS N ROSES - NEWCASTLE METRORADIO ARENA - 19/07/06

We arrived at the MetroRadio arena in good spirits around 6:15. Since the Use Your Illusion Albums had been released myself and Craig had dreamed of one day seeing GN'R live, and to be honest, never actually believed we would have the chance. I had bought tickets for the show they were supposed to be doing in Leeds a few years back but it was cancelled.

Anyway, when we saw that they had announced a European tour for 2006 we jumped at the chance and purchased our tickets and waited patiently for 19th July.

Having arrived early (the doors were advertised to open at 6:30) we found a notice on the doors of the arenas. 'The show is not due to finish until 11:45pm and the management offers apologies on behalf of the artist.' Did this mean they were going to play for three hours, I thought. We would find out later.

After cuing at the concessions stand the first strange event of the evening took place. Axl had seemingly personally requested that no (plastic) bottles be sold to the audience. I couldn't believe this, as it meant carrying cups of water/beer/fanta about all night, spilling everywhere. You couldn’t even take a bottle of water into the pit with you later! The reason for this request by Axl would become apparent as the night wore on.

Just after seven we sore the stage lights go down and Sebastian Bach came on. After a really solid, well paced set he left and soon after we sore upstarts Bullet for my Valentine take the stage. We were not here for the support acts at all, but have to admit that BFMV looked pretty good as the arena was filling up nicely for the arrival of who we all wanted to see. BFMY left the stage at I think was about half eight.

As happens at gigs such as this, everybody with standing tickets then started to make their way to the front, and everybody with sitting tickets began to sit down and be ready for the main event. Little did we fans realize that Axl would keep us waiting until 10:15 before he came on! Squashed onto the floor like an overcrowded tin of sardines, dying of thirst (but being unable to carry a bottle of water) for a couple of hours was not the most enjoyable experience. We heard many people saying throughout the ordeal that they would give him ten more minutes and then they would go home.

I was heard saying Craig on more than one occasion, 'How can he do this to his fans? We have paid nearly £50 for these tickets and he just doesn't care.' By this point the crowd was booing raucously, unlike anything I have ever heard after ten years of gigging. I really did not think that Axl would come out at all after hearing this.

As the clock hit 10:15, however, the lights went down, the fireworks went off and out came Axl, and his ever growing, band of merry men. They ripped through an awesome rendition of Welcome to the Jungle, before following it up with possibly the best moment of the night (It's So Easy) and then Mr. Brownstone.

The show plodded along at a good rate from here, as the crowd went mental for classic covers of Live and Let Die and Knockin' on Heavens Door.

Now, I understand that GN'R have always incorporated solos into their live show, but what happened tonight was a joke. All three guitarists, and keyboard player Dizzy Reed (who looked painfully thin) all had their own solos. To me this meant one thing - time wasting. An example was when one of the guitarists used his solo to play a full instrumental version of Don't Cry. It left me asking why Axl didn't just come out and play the song, vocal and all.

The night did pick up, however, with storming success as they belted their way through Sweet Child, November Rain and You Could Be Mine, and Madagascar.

At around half eleven, Sebastian Bach came out for his usual rendition of My Michelle and then Axl invited 'Old Friend' Izzy Stradlin onto the stage for a moment of jamming (although by this point we have four guitarists, a bass player, two keyboardists...) and a rundown of some old classics.

I was surprised when the band ripped into one of my personal favorites (and most underrated GN'R songs) Think About you, although when they played Patience I was in Guns heaven.

By this point I had forgiven Axl for all the stupidity earlier in the evening, and was already considering trying to get tickets to another show on the tour. Things soon can change in this business…

The band burst into Nightrain, with the crowd going crazy, singing every word in unison. Then something very strange happened. A fan threw a pound coin which hit Axl in the face. He muttered something, told the band to stop playing and then walked off the stage, mid-song, and said ‘Good night.’ He then returned a few minutes later, told the crowd to tell security if they saw anyone throwing anything, and started Nightrain again.

The song drew to a close, the lights went out and Axl simply said ‘The show is over,’ and the houselights came on.

I couldn’t believe this childishness. We had just seen a GN’R set without Paradise City. Everyone expected an encore but none came. I was so angry that for the entire journey home I cursed the man and promised to end my musical relationship with him.

Having slept on it I stick to my Guns (no pun intended). The man walked off stage like a spoilt brat and didn’t finish his set. I understand that he did play for 2 hours (by this point it was 12.15am) but by not playing Paradise City it was like going to see Sabbath and them not playing Paranoid.

All in all, much of the set was fantastic, but there were too many signs of the lack of respect which Axl has for his fans. He couldn’t care less what we think of him, because he knows we will still all listen to his music, and if the album ever comes out, we will buy it in droves.

That is all except me, however. Axl, you have lost a fan of twenty years with you dummy-spitting performance tonight.

I understand how you feel as I missed Paradise City in Detroit 2002, but it was due to an AXL fuck up and he ended the show a few minutes later. GN'R are and will always be my favorite band and stuff like this comes with the territory. I say, if you follow GN'R then be prepared for this to happen. It is part of the unknown ! :question:

Thanks for that review Deicide. i was going to do one but i don't thing i could follow that one. i agree with you for most of it, but if someone threw a coin at me when im on stage i would tell them where to go. I respect Axl for coming back on stage.

I've been to loads of gigs ok and that was the first one that didnt have a encore. I was gutted about that because its one of the best parts of a show for me. it feels like the start again. But you never know. Axl could have ben planning a encore but Newcastle Arena turned the lights on 30 seconds after they left stage and everyone left. if they kept the lights of for a bit longer you never know what could have happened.

I enjoy Guns set, but it could have included new songs such as Better and There Was A Time. and one of the best songs Guns Wrote Rocket Queen. Also they didnt play Madagascar it was the Blues. Was a good Review thank you.

P.S it isnt a GNR gig if Axl doesn't walked off stage :P haha

Peace out!

It was an amazing gig, I loved it.

Yeah he walked off but at least he came back on, so what we missed one song, we had them for 2 rocking hours. By that time was 12.15 anyway, so the venue would have been under pressure to stop gig.

Axl was in a great mood all concert and had a laugh, even spraying the crowd with water at one point.

His voice is sounding fantastic. What an ace night! :D

I mean no offense here, but after reading your post, I have to question it. I will analyze this first

"PLEASE bare in mind that I am a huge GNR fan"

If this is true, you would sure as hell know that when you go to see GNR you can wait up to 2 hours +

Anyone who knows about Guns N Roses should know about this. The first time I saw them at MSG in 2002, I knew that might happen.

"Little did we fans realize that Axl would keep us waiting until 10:15 before he came on" - They certainly realized.

"We heard many people saying throughout the ordeal that they would give him ten more minutes and then they would go home" - Not true fans

"I was heard saying Craig on more than one occasion, 'How can he do this to his fans? We have paid nearly £50 for these tickets and he just doesn't care.'"

On the contrary, he cares very much. He doesn't need to do this tour. He doesn't need to put out a new album. he is doing this for the fans. All he wants is to be treated with respect, and when you get hit in the face with a coin, that isn't respect. He doesn't even have to play the gig - its his choice. I think he just tries to weed the fans that just don't give a shit - out of the crowd when he waits that long. Also, you waited til 10:30 pm - big deal - I waited til 12:30 am on a weeknight when I went to the 3rd Hammerstein show.

"All three guitarists, and keyboard player Dizzy Reed (who looked painfully thin) all had their own solos. To me this meant one thing - time wasting." That is called giving everyone else in the band a chance to get the spotlight. Not many bands do this and we should give Axl credit for giving up the spotlight.

"An example was when one of the guitarists used his solo to play a full instrumental version of Don't Cry. It left me asking why Axl didn't just come out and play the song, vocal and all." This is because Shannon hoon is dead, and he won't play the song anymore as a dedication.

"The night did pick up, however, with storming success as they belted their way through Sweet Child, November Rain and You Could Be Mine, and Madagascar." A true fan huh? Well then you should be ablt tell the difference beetwen Madasgar and the Blues.

"At around half eleven, Sebastian Bach came out for his usual rendition of My Michelle" His usual rendition? You act like you saw it before.

"and then Axl invited 'Old Friend' Izzy Stradlin onto the stage for a moment of jamming "

You should consider yourself lucky that you even got to see Izzy, let alone see him and axl play a Stones song with Maracas! I saw NO izzy at the Hammerstein show. It was a major bumer to hear he came out the next night - and then to hear the news that he does it every show - it killed me. I never got to see him.

A true guns fan would have emphazied the point that they got to see Izzy and Axl back together again. I woulf give anything to see them on stage together.

"I was surprised when the band ripped into one of my personal favorites (and most underrated GN'R songs) "

Surprised? Why? This has been a staple in the live show since 88. They never stopped playing that live. You pretty much here it every show.

"The band burst into Nightrain, with the crowd going crazy, singing every word in unison." Thats the worst part about a guns show - I come to hear Axl sing, not the crowd. I know that you are all into it, but I want to hear axl's voice live, not some dick that is singing a sloppy drunk version.

"A fan threw a pound coin which hit Axl in the face. He muttered something, told the band to stop playing and then walked off the stage, mid-song, and said ‘Good night.’ He then returned a few minutes later, told the crowd to tell security if they saw anyone throwing anything, and started Nightrain again"

You should consider yourself lucky that he even finished the show. That is true dedication. So he didn' tplay Paradise City? Big deal. That is the most played out and overrated Guns song ever. It does suck that they didn't do it though because you have all that confetti coming down and such, and the crowd going wild. I think they should change the setlist personally. Why play the same show for almost 20 years now? Its Duff's song, he probably is pissed, and Axl should just write another kick ass song to always be the encore, or just end it with Coma or something crazy.

"The song drew to a close, the lights went out and Axl simply said ‘The show is over,’ and the houselights came on." You are mad because of this, but we don't know if security said thats it, we don't know why it happened. We assume it is because of the coin. Security could have seen a possible cause to end the show right then. We have no idea.

'I couldn’t believe this childishness. We had just seen a GN’R set without Paradise City." How about the childness of the guy that hit Axl?' How about the childness of you, who can't understand why someone would be enfuriated by being hit on stage. Why do you think Axl owes you Paradise City. He doesn't owe you anything. He doesn't owe the guy that hit him. You shuold be glad that he doesn't cancel the whole tour.

He is the greatest musican ever, and it is his way or the high way. That is something the fans have to accept. He is not some guy that writes crappy songs and doesn't care about the music. he is one of the few musicians that care deeply about his music. If the fans stop caring about the music - i.e throwing shit and being violent - than that is when the show ends.

"He couldn’t care less what we think of him" He cared enough to end the show. He thought you thought of him as a target.

"I totally agree with Deicide. I've heard the 'supposed' coin ( I don't care what anyone says, no one saw it), hit him in the leg.

But that’s' ROCK AND ROLL!!! Axel is old school, he'll have had much worse chucked at him in the past."

And if he was hit in the eye and blinded, I guess you wouldn't give a shit about that would you? Because that is rock n Roll! Wrong. Just as long as you get to see your precious Paradise City , that is all that matters huh? Fuck axl right? Its all about you you you.

And if he was hit in the eye and blinded, I guess you wouldn't give a shit about that would you? Because that is rock n Roll! Wrong. Just as long as you get to see your precious Paradise City , that is all that matters huh? Fuck axl right? Its all about you you you.

Who saw him get hit with a coin? I saw no flinch, and I've yet to speak to anyone who 'actually' saw it.

And he did this tour for himself, he's a musician at the end of the day. This is what he does. We're the ones who should be thanked for coming out in numbers to support him.

First off, thanks to everybody who spotted my DELIBERATE mistake by putting in Madagascar and not 'The Blues'. Interestingly, it was only people on this here website who noticed that mistake (this review has been posted all over the net today!) so well done!

I appreciate all the comment made here tonight, but the one below got me so wound up that I though i would address each and every point individually.

Here goes:

I mean no offense here, but after reading your post, I have to question it. I will analyze this first

"PLEASE bare in mind that I am a huge GNR fan"

If this is true, you would sure as hell know that when you go to see GNR you can wait up to 2 hours + [

Anyone who knows about Guns N Roses should know about this. The first time I saw them at MSG in 2002, I knew that might happen. Are you trying to say that I am not a true fan because I expected them to finish the set instead of just going off because he had had enough? I have been to well over a thousand gigs in my time and I have never seen anything like what happened last night. Also, are you syaing that it is okay to cut a set short JUST because it is Axl? Why do we go on treating him like a god, in that he can do anything he wants just becasue he is Axl?

"Little did we fans realize that Axl would keep us waiting until 10:15 before he came on" - They certainly realized.

"We heard many people saying throughout the ordeal that they would give him ten more minutes and then they would go home" - Not true fans Why are they not true fans then? This is the single stupidest, childish comment i have ever read in my life! How can somebody have unconditional love for a band? I mean, I worship the Beatles, but if I was about in the 60's and was pissed off at a gig they did I wouldn't just say it was great because of who they are!

"I was heard saying Craig on more than one occasion, 'How can he do this to his fans? We have paid nearly £50 for these tickets and he just doesn't care.'"

On the contrary, he cares very much. He doesn't need to do this tour. He doesn't need to put out a new album. he is doing this for the fans. All he wants is to be treated with respect, and when you get hit in the face with a coin, that isn't respect. He doesn't even have to play the gig - its his choice. I think he just tries to weed the fans that just don't give a shit - out of the crowd when he waits that long. Also, you waited til 10:30 pm - big deal - I waited til 12:30 am on a weeknight when I went to the 3rd Hammerstein show.How old are you mate? Twelve? If you truly belive he plays these gigs because he wants to please his fans then you are either off your face on drugs or you have some sort of undying love that I can't understand.

"All three guitarists, and keyboard player Dizzy Reed (who looked painfully thin) all had their own solos. To me this meant one thing - time wasting." That is called giving everyone else in the band a chance to get the spotlight. Not many bands do this and we should give Axl credit for giving up the spotlight. Again, silliness. The reason everybody in the band gets a solo is to give Axl a break. I am all for solos, don't get me wrong. I thought Dizzy's solo was absolutely outstanding, one of the highlights of the show, I was simply saying that I didn't believe four seperate solos (including a rendition of Christina Agularia's 'Beautiful') were necessary.

"An example was when one of the guitarists used his solo to play a full instrumental version of Don't Cry. It left me asking why Axl didn't just come out and play the song, vocal and all." This is because Shannon hoon is dead, and he won't play the song anymore as a dedication. If this is true then I appologise. I admit I don't know every last fact about the band recently, as I have things going on in my life other than music.

"The night did pick up, however, with storming success as they belted their way through Sweet Child, November Rain and You Could Be Mine, and Madagascar." A true fan huh? Well then you should be ablt tell the difference beetwen Madasgar and the Blues. MISTAKE - I appologise. Does this mean I'm not a fan? Tell that to my bank manager who has to put up with me spending more than I really should on GN'R related gear. Being a trainspotter does not make you any more of a fan than me mate.

"At around half eleven, Sebastian Bach came out for his usual rendition of My Michelle" His usual rendition? You act like you saw it before. I act like I have read it in reviews and seen it at Download. I wasn;t having a go here by the way. I meant it as in he does it every night - i.e. not a bad thing (although I do think that in this song i would rather here just Axl's voice.

"and then Axl invited 'Old Friend' Izzy Stradlin onto the stage for a moment of jamming "

You should consider yourself lucky that you even got to see Izzy, let alone see him and axl play a Stones song with Maracas! I saw NO izzy at the Hammerstein show. It was a major bumer to hear he came out the next night - and then to hear the news that he does it every show - it killed me. I never got to see him.

A true guns fan would have emphazied the point that they got to see Izzy and Axl back together again. I woulf give anything to see them on stage together. Where do I say there is anything wrong with seeing Izzy? I went absolutely wild when he came on! I couldn't believe my luck. I don't know why you are having a go at me for this

"I was surprised when the band ripped into one of my personal favorites (and most underrated GN'R songs) "

Surprised? Why? This has been a staple in the live show since 88. They never stopped playing that live. You pretty much here it every show. Again, I didn't realise they played this often. Interestingly, though, this brings up something else I've been thinking about, in that Axl doesn't seem to think that any GN'r songs are B-sides. I mean most artists release an album. They release 2-4 single, then there are a couple of good tunes and the rest are considered B-sides. Because GN'R never released many albums it comes across like he thinks most of the songs are worthy of playing live (because he doesn;t have much alternative. I'm having trouble explaining what I mean here, but I would bet that at some point every GN'R song has been played live (even rubbish such as 'So Fine'. Sorry, I'm getting away from the point here. What I mean was that I didn't realise that Think about You was a 'Staple' of a live GN'R set.

"The band burst into Nightrain, with the crowd going crazy, singing every word in unison." Thats the worst part about a guns show - I come to hear Axl sing, not the crowd. I know that you are all into it, but I want to hear axl's voice live, not some dick that is singing a sloppy drunk version. What do you want the crowd to do? Stand at the back and quietly applaud him for being a genius? John Lennon he ain't mate. Of course the crowd will go mad and sing-a-long. Axl asks them to with his 'Knockin on Heavens Door' routine.

"A fan threw a pound coin which hit Axl in the face. He muttered something, told the band to stop playing and then walked off the stage, mid-song, and said ‘Good night.’ He then returned a few minutes later, told the crowd to tell security if they saw anyone throwing anything, and started Nightrain again"

You should consider yourself lucky that he even finished the show. That is true dedication. So he didn' tplay Paradise City? Big deal. That is the most played out and overrated Guns song ever. It does suck that they didn't do it though because you have all that confetti coming down and such, and the crowd going wild. I think they should change the setlist personally. Why play the same show for almost 20 years now? Its Duff's song, he probably is pissed, and Axl should just write another kick ass song to always be the encore, or just end it with Coma or something crazy. I personally don't think Paradise City is a great song - but it is the trademark of a GN'R show and I expect to hear it. I would personally have loved to have heard 'Estranged,' 'Bad Apples,' 'Dead Horse' or 'The Garden,' but I was over the moon with what he did play, because the mojority of fans would want to hear the more famouse tracks. Paradise City (Along with Sweet Child) are GN'R's most famous songs so I would expect to hear them at a GN'R gig. Also, he always ends with this song, which made it obvious that he left it out!

"The song drew to a close, the lights went out and Axl simply said ‘The show is over,’ and the houselights came on." You are mad because of this, but we don't know if security said thats it, we don't know why it happened. We assume it is because of the coin. Security could have seen a possible cause to end the show right then. We have no idea. I initially thought he had been told to cut the show short because of the time - fair enough. But on refelction I don't think this was the case, and if it was, then why did he make us wait for nearly 2 hours before coming on? Why didn't he start within an hour of BFMV finishing, then he could of played till his heart was content? Also, if he was told to hurry things aling, why did he restart Nightrain? Why didn't he go straigh into Paradise City? I don;t underatnd why You seem to think we OWE him something, like we should be gratefull that he turned up at all.

'I couldn’t believe this childishness. We had just seen a GN’R set without Paradise City." How about the childness of the guy that hit Axl?' How about the childness of you, who can't understand why someone would be enfuriated by being hit on stage. Why do you think Axl owes you Paradise City. He doesn't owe you anything. He doesn't owe the guy that hit him. You shuold be glad that he doesn't cancel the whole tour.

He is the greatest musican ever, and it is his way or the high way. That is something the fans have to accept. He is not some guy that writes crappy songs and doesn't care about the music. he is one of the few musicians that care deeply about his music. If the fans stop caring about the music - i.e throwing shit and being violent - than that is when the show ends. If anybody reading this believes what is written here then I have have no place trying to defend what I believe. This is like a 14 year old girl defending why she loves Robbie Williams

"He couldn’t care less what we think of him" He cared enough to end the show. He thought you thought of him as a target. Again, a load of bolony

"I totally agree with Deicide. I've heard the 'supposed' coin ( I don't care what anyone says, no one saw it), hit him in the leg.

But that’s' ROCK AND ROLL!!! Axel is old school, he'll have had much worse chucked at him in the past."

And if he was hit in the eye and blinded, I guess you wouldn't give a shit about that would you? Because that is rock n Roll! Wrong. Just as long as you get to see your precious Paradise City , that is all that matters huh? Fuck axl right? Its all about you you you. I travelled 191 miles from Bristol to see this concert. I didn't get home until around 5am. I took a holiday from work. The whole day cost me more than i would like to even think about. Not to mention that this was the most important night of my life - after a lifetime of worshipping this man. Last weeks I wrote a piece on Planet Sound (C4 teletext) saying how Vlevet Revolver mean nothing to me and that Axl is a musical God. Do you think really think I should unconditionally worship the man after being let down by what should have been a life defining moment? Unbelievable!

Edited by Deicide

due he missed one song. your making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure he left in 2002 without an explanation throughout patience. you enjoyed everything else just go see him again next year. to be honest you shouldnt be worshipping one man theres many other great muscians out there. But ya i feel for ya its not fair that the newcastle gig was the one to get fucked up but im afraid thats life

due he missed one song. your making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure he left in 2002 without an explanation throughout patience. you enjoyed everything else just go see him again next year. to be honest you shouldnt be worshipping one man theres many other great muscians out there. But ya i feel for ya its not fair that the newcastle gig was the one to get fucked up but im afraid thats life

I did enjoy the gig. I think i make that clear in my review. I really fucking enjoyed it. But the waiting about at the start and the end marred what could have been perfect.

I appologise to those who do not agree with what ive been trying to put across - im an old synic with an opinion, that's all!!!