Guitarists

GNRrocks3

Guitarists  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm for emotion. But to achieve a greatness you have to have a equal amount of both, like SRV. He can play very emotional blues but he is a very technical player. Steve Vai too. But yeah, some of the best players arent technical at all. Like BB king. Simple four note solos or something and all he does is add vibrato and bends. good stuff.

I'm for emotion. But to achieve a greatness you have to have a equal amount of both, like SRV. He can play very emotional blues but he is a very technical player. Steve Vai too. But yeah, some of the best players arent technical at all. Like BB king. Simple four note solos or something and all he does is add vibrato and bends. good stuff.

SRV says of Hubert Sumlin: "Hubert is the heaviest, most original guitar player I've ever heard in my life and that's the truth."

And Hubert Sumlin was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist. That should give you some measure of how totally awesome he is.

SRV says of Hubert Sumlin: "Hubert is the heaviest, most original guitar player I've ever heard in my life and that's the truth."

And Hubert Sumlin was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist. That should give you some measure of how totally awesome he is.

I always thought Buddy Guy was his favorite. I liked how he used Buddy's 'talking guitar' techinque. I was watching some film in Jimi and it showed him at some Buddy Guy show, recording his performance. So he can learn from him. cool beans.

Null vote. There should be no excuse not to have both in your playing arsenal...

Of course.

Let me rephrase this, which do you prefer in a guitarist?

Not which kind of guitarist you prefer.

I'm confused by my own question now. :huh:

Edited by GNRrocks3

I always thought Buddy Guy was his favorite. I liked how he used Buddy's 'talking guitar' techinque. I was watching some film in Jimi and it showed him at some Buddy Guy show, recording his performance. So he can learn from him. cool beans.

Buddy Guy was a favorite of Hendrix's, but I've found the quote where Hendrix names Sumlin as his favorite on many different websites.

And the song Hendrix played for Clapton the first time they met was "Killing Floor".

You should really listen to some Howlin' Wolf.

if you have enough technical skill you would know how to make it sound like you are "emotional" just by knowing what notes to play.

example- a good technical player would know that to sound "soulful" all you do is play your solo in the blues or pentatonic scale, with throwing in some bends here and there.

thal, BH, EVH, becker, satch, rusty and vai all know this, and if you had their complete collection you could find solos from each that even blow comfortably numb out of the water.

i'm sure you guys will disagree, but remember: your opinion is not well founded unless you have several records of the "virtuosos"-wheras mine is. :book:

Technical skill is important, but not as much as emotion. So thats what I voted for.

Anybody can spend all day practicing guitar to become really technically skilled, but if they dont have the emotion to piece together meaningfull solos and riffs, they wont get very far.

On the other had, you can have the god given gift to write good solos and put your emotion into your guitar, but if you dont have the technical skill to do so, you hit a dead end. Thats what I think Robin Fincks problem is. He plays with great emotion, there is no doubt, he just has some real butter fingers on his hands.

if you have enough technical skill you would know how to make it sound like you are "emotional" just by knowing what notes to play.

example- a good technical player would know that to sound "soulful" all you do is play your solo in the blues or pentatonic scale, with throwing in some bends here and there.

thal, BH, EVH, becker, satch, rusty and vai all know this

And Yngwie Malmsteen

thal, BH, EVH, becker, satch, rusty and vai all know this

And Yngwie Malmsteen

I disagree. I really think Yngwie does NOT know this. According to him, any guitarist that isn't him is a piece of crap.