NOT releasing Chinese Democracy works in Axl's Favour

The Sandman

Why you ask? We've all waited for it for years upon years. Desire, wanted, hell - lusted for it.

It works in his favour - why?

The Name, and the Group will sell out most places. Why? People love the group, the music, the stigma and the fact that anything can and will go wrong - anything can happen! Whilst this can also be bad, it's the fact it's live and dangerous - you don't know what's gunna happen next - and with such a volatile frontman...

So, he's making money without releasing anything. Not to mention, record sales, merch, tickets, etc. The music gets enough radio play to attract new people, and the fact that they are still around (no matter that the guitarist Slosh, or whatever it was isn't there, and everyone's idols Tracii Guns and Paul Huge left for pastures new).

The leaks satisfied people, and shows that Axl still has it in him. That, almost as precursor to the tour, gives a taster, but not too much. These are only demos, yet even as a Velvet Revolver fan, but managed to show up a bunch of their catalogue. And, they are only FREAKIN' DEMOS! People crave finished versions, as with the Live Tunes we've heard over the years. Studio Madagascar, Studio Blues, Studio Riyahd, etc.

And why do people also go to the concerts? Aside from music and atmostphere... - the fact that a NEW song might be played there, that they could be part of history, a release date announced. It may not have happened dozens of times, but people will still do it.

Sanctuary needs Axl, and he needs them. They provide the backing, he delivers the tours and will produce the goods. But by NOT releasing it, they make easy money before even dropping the album! The stigma attached to Chinese Democracy is like that of the Holy Grail - the stuff of legends. People claim to have heard it, but very conflicting views to say the least 'conflict' over it. Not releasing it adds to the infamy, the speculation over the years and money spent in production.

So, in fact, NOT releasing it does work in his favour - which could've been his plan all along ;)

Sandman.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed man. GNR have everything to loose by releasing the album, at the moment they have hype going for them - there is no way the album will match the hype no matter how good it is - at the moment the build up of anticipation is getting tickets sold.

wonder how long they can go on just hype and old hits though...

ye but it may not be out this year remember 2002 people thought it would be then then what happened gnr went back into...well hiding again for a few more years so who is to say they wont do that again........

i would be so dissapointed :anger:

Even if it is in GnR´s favour, it was worth the money I payed for the show. A show I would have gone to anyway. Simple as that.

I was hyped to hear the new songs live.. But with or without them I would have gone to the show anyhow

Snap, seeing them live was one of the best decisions I've ever made, it rocked.

Even if it is in GnR´s favour, it was worth the money I payed for the show. A show I would have gone to anyway. Simple as that.

I was hyped to hear the new songs live.. But with or without them I would have gone to the show anyhow

Snap, seeing them live was one of the best decisions I've ever made, it rocked.

Yes it was :) And you got some good points. For me I was a gunner between 10 and 15 years old. Then I had some "time off" for a couple of years. Then a friend of mine I putted on Nightrain Live Era on a party. It hooked me for life. Day after I searhed the net for GnR and quickly founded out that an album was on the way(It was 2001 I think). Since then I´ve been waiting obsessed.. :P So in some way it was that "an album coming" thing made me coverage it all. And maby, maby was the thing that gave me the attentivity that there even was a concert and GnR were rolling again..

Guest cherry_bomb

i'm not so sure. i mean, theyre gonna have a hell of a lot of curious people buying it, among die hard fans. so i guess there's money to be made there. though, i think a lot of critics will slate it purely because they dont think it's worthy of 13 years (or what ever its been now) of isolation, silence and mystery.

That would be wierd, but thats a hell of a way to think about it. But hopefully that isnt Axl's plan, and if it ever was the public would have his ass for it. So it wouldnt work out for him in the long run, not in a million years. The album will be released.

You guys might change you tune here once you see what sort of venues they are playing.

If you think they are selling out 20,000 areans across this great country, you are kidding yourself. Not based on a band made up of people most people have never heard of playing 20 year old material they didn't even write.

No, Axl has to get the damn thing out there. Time to start letting these guys play more of what they actually wrote. Think about it. Would they rather play something they wrote...or 'Out Ta Get Me'?

I don't think its even close.

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Yeah, I suppose so, I mean, you are a Velvet Revolver fan who knows that their band has to put out records every couple of years in order to pay for their drugs, and courts cases with estranged wives.

I don't know how being laughing stock of music business works in Axl's favour. Most people think not releasing any music for 10 years is ridicilous. Except for us so-called true fans :P

I pretty much agree with this.

This theory of not releasing the album really only applies to the diehard fans, and others who are just plain curious. And even those with enough common sense are becoming increasingly impatient with the wait for an album and the setlist on this tour. Chinese Democracy is still used as a punchline in the media. Sure people are going to see these shows right now, no one had seen or heard from Axl in 4 years. But it's already starting to wear thin. The clock is ticking.

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Yeah, I suppose so, I mean, you are a Velvet Revolver fan who knows that their band has to put out records every couple of years in order to pay for their drugs, and courts cases with estranged wives.

That's the second dumbest thing I've ever read.

On that I can agree with you..