NOT releasing Chinese Democracy works in Axl's Favour

The Sandman

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Agreed..

If Axl doesn't release the album the US tour will flatline. Europe was a success because it was advertised as the classic Guns N' Roses returning for the first time in 10 years. Hell, Slash was in the television advertisements..

Without an album - there's no selling point. Tell me - what is so enticing about the current band? The mystique? The danger? Get over yourself..

It's taken more than 8 years of songwriting and what has dominated every set-list from 2001-2006? Here's a clue: it was an album released in 1987. Nostalgia is beginning to wear thin..

Rose is going to have an appetite for self-destruction if he follows such a ludicrous rationale..

Asinine thread, Sandman..

-Kickingthehabit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed..

If Axl doesn't release the album the US tour will flatline. Europe was a success because it was advertised as the classic Guns N' Roses returning for the first time in 10 years. Hell, Slash was in the television advertisements..

Without an album - there's no selling point. Tell me - what is so enticing about the current band? The mystique? The danger? Get over yourself..

It's taken more than 8 years of songwriting and what has dominated every set-list from 2001-2006? Here's a clue: it was an album released in 1987. Nostalgia is beginning to wear thin..

Rose is going to have an appetite for self-destruction if he follows such a ludicrous rationale..

-Kickingthehabit

:rofl-lol: Talk about not giving any Europeans any credit whatsoever. I think at least some of them knew it wouldn't be the old lineup returning after 10 years. That's sort of why the crowds were still there once they showed up and started playing. You know, they aren't retarded, and don't live in some kind of reunion fantasy world.

There is no mystique, nor danger in this new band, they just put on a great live show. I'll agree that they need the album to enhance this and $150 for a ticket is too steep, but Guns N' Roses was one of the top-selling tours this summer for a reason. No, it wasn't the advertising of Slash, because people would kind of catch onto that sometime. The tour was strong throughout, and that's because they performed very well, even if it was a lot of AFD.

I don't know how being laughing stock of music business works in Axl's favour. Most people think not releasing any music for 10 years is ridicilous. Except for us so-called true fans :P

There are too many people at GnR sites that think that just because they love the new band, the rest of the world does too, which isn't the case. But you can't tell them that. The truth is that there are too many people that still think Slash is in GnR, there are too many people that have no idea who ANY of the members besides Axl are.

People aren't going to pay big dollars over and over again to see a cover band. They need to release new material and tour using mostly that new material or GnR will cease to exist within a couple years.

Agreed..

-Kickingthehabit

:rofl-lol: Talk about not giving any Europeans any credit whatsoever. I think at least some of them knew it wouldn't be the old lineup returning after 10 years. That's sort of why the crowds were still there once they showed up and started playing. You know, they aren't retarded, and don't live in some kind of reunion fantasy world.

There is no mystique, nor danger in this new band, they just put on a great live show. I'll agree that they need the album to enhance this and $150 for a ticket is too steep, but Guns N' Roses was one of the top-selling tours this summer for a reason. No, it wasn't the advertising of Slash, because people would kind of catch onto that sometime. The tour was strong throughout, and that's because they performed very well, even if it was a lot of AFD.

Again, the European tour was a success because it was marketed as the return of Guns N' Roses. Do you not find it troubling that Slash and Duff were seen in television ads? The current band has more than enough live footage of themselves..

Why has there been absolutely no mention of the 'new' line-up in the promotion of the Inland Invasion?

Without an album, this band deserves no respect or acknowledgement. All of their achievements are tainted because they're making money off of someone else's hard work. The classic lineup busted their asses for years trying to find success -- and these guys get a free trip around the world playing music they had absolutely no hand in creating..

I know I haven't waited since 2001 to hear how this band can 'interpret' songs that were written 20 years ago. Have you?

Sure, they've put on a great live show - but they're covering songs. This will only appease fans for so long, and that time has passed. Without an album, this will be another 2002..

If you guys think that will work in Axl's favor, well.. keep on trucking. I'm much more interested in seeing if this band can stand on their own feet and survive without having to use the past as a crutch. It's been almost six years, and nothing has changed..

They need to show us what they've got, and give us a reason to care..

-Kickingthehabit

Wonder how long they can go on just hype and old hits though...

Not much longer I don't think.

I think the fanbase is pretty much just the "die-hards" now, and the rest are just random people who hear Paradise City on the radio and say "Oh I remember these guys" and then after 6 mintues and 47 seconds( :book: ) they completley forget about them again.

Agreed..

-Kickingthehabit

Again, the European tour was a success because it was marketed as the return of Guns N' Roses. Do you not find it troubling that Slash and Duff were seen in television ads? The current band has more than enough live footage of themselves..

Why has there been absolutely no mention of the 'new' line-up in the promotion of the Inland Invasion?

I must admit, this is very troubling. Wonder how the others feel about it too.

Agreed..

-Kickingthehabit

Without an album, this band deserves no respect or acknowledgement. All of their achievements are tainted because they're making money off of someone else's hard work. The classic lineup busted their asses for years trying to find success -- and these guys get a free trip around the world playing music they had absolutely no hand in creating..

I know I haven't waited since 2001 to hear how this band can 'interpret' songs that were written 20 years ago. Have you?

Sure, they've put on a great live show - but they're covering songs. This will only appease fans for so long, and that time has passed. Without an album, this will be another 2002..

If you guys think that will work in Axl's favor, well.. keep on trucking. I'm much more interested in seeing if this band can stand on their own feet and survive without having to use the past as a crutch. It's been almost six years, and nothing has changed..

-Kickingthehabit

As usual, you're spot on.

He can't leave the album hanging infront of the fans for much longer, after this US tour the setlist will become extremely tiresome to everyone and then they're in trouble.

Getting the album out A.S.A.P is what Axl needs more than anything then. At least then the new band has accomplished something.

Why you ask? We've all waited for it for years upon years. Desire, wanted, hell - lusted for it.

It works in his favour - why?

The Name, and the Group will sell out most places. Why? People love the group, the music, the stigma and the fact that anything can and will go wrong - anything can happen! Whilst this can also be bad, it's the fact it's live and dangerous - you don't know what's gunna happen next - and with such a volatile frontman...

So, he's making money without releasing anything. Not to mention, record sales, merch, tickets, etc. The music gets enough radio play to attract new people, and the fact that they are still around (no matter that the guitarist Slosh, or whatever it was isn't there, and everyone's idols Tracii Guns and Paul Huge left for pastures new).

The leaks satisfied people, and shows that Axl still has it in him. That, almost as precursor to the tour, gives a taster, but not too much. These are only demos, yet even as a Velvet Revolver fan, but managed to show up a bunch of their catalogue. And, they are only FREAKIN' DEMOS! People crave finished versions, as with the Live Tunes we've heard over the years. Studio Madagascar, Studio Blues, Studio Riyahd, etc.

And why do people also go to the concerts? Aside from music and atmostphere... - the fact that a NEW song might be played there, that they could be part of history, a release date announced. It may not have happened dozens of times, but people will still do it.

Sanctuary needs Axl, and he needs them. They provide the backing, he delivers the tours and will produce the goods. But by NOT releasing it, they make easy money before even dropping the album! The stigma attached to Chinese Democracy is like that of the Holy Grail - the stuff of legends. People claim to have heard it, but very conflicting views to say the least 'conflict' over it. Not releasing it adds to the infamy, the speculation over the years and money spent in production.

So, in fact, NOT releasing it does work in his favour - which could've been his plan all along ;)

Sandman.

You're talking about only the hardcore fans and not the casual listener. It's them that he has to impress and put the album out for since the hardcores are already an easy sale

No, it doesnt, having an album out will absolutely be an advantage, there are probably 20,000 people worldwide, who are "lusting" for this album. The tour probably will not do that good at all, unless theyre is a single. Really doesnt matter to me though because im going and im gonna have a great time, just like i did at the last NYC shows.

What rubbish. Every single article I read or saw showed how Axl was the only remaining member of Guns N' Roses since the Appetite days. I never once saw anything saying or hinting that Slash would be there. If you are claiming that 700,000 people in Europe went to see Guns N' Roses because they thought it would be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven then you're vastly incorrect.

TV footage from Sky news that 1) Aknowledges that Axl is the only original member 2) Shows footage of the new band. 3) Shows fans aknowledging that Axl is the only remaining original member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXLC3zPt3uQ

Another example, now admitedly this is in Norwegian but if you listen you can make out the fact that they know Axl is the only original member. It then once more goes on to show footage of the new band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CigBLtP3_sM

Yet again another example of footage shown on the news in Denmark about Guns N' Roses at the Roskilde festival. This is at least 4 minutes of new band footage.

Can you show me any kind of tour promotion depicting the old band?

What rubbish. Every single article I read or saw showed how Axl was the only remaining member of Guns N' Roses since the Appetite days. I never once saw anything saying or hinting that Slash would be there. If you are claiming that 700,000 people in Europe went to see Guns N' Roses because they thought it would be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven then you're vastly incorrect.

TV footage from Sky news that 1) Aknowledges that Axl is the only original member 2) Shows footage of the new band. 3) Shows fans aknowledging that Axl is the only remaining original member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXLC3zPt3uQ

Another example, now admitedly this is in Norwegian but if you listen you can make out the fact that they know Axl is the only original member. It then once more goes on to show footage of the new band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CigBLtP3_sM

Yet again another example of footage shown on the news in Denmark about Guns N' Roses at the Roskilde festival. This is at least 4 minutes of new band footage.

Can you show me any kind of tour promotion depicting the old band?

That's media coverage though. It isn't the band or show promoters saying it. It's a little odd. I don't think anyone is suggesting they want to pass Finck off as Slash. That would be ridiculous. But they aren't exactly trumpeting the fact that the old guys are gone. They will have to soon though...when a video comes out and the band steps into the mainstream everyone will notice it's not Slash and Duff up there.

Frankly it's hard for me to believe some people out there don't know Slash has left, what with VR, the 02 VMAs, the 40 or so shows the new band has performed, VH1 Behind the Music, etc. I mean, damn. If you still think Slash is in GN'R after all that you either don't follow rock much, if at all, or you've gotta be real clueless and probably stoned on top of that.

Still, a great post by KTH (the last one) because the bottom line is they aren't promoting the new guys and this setlist and lack of album is going to get old real soon. We've seen this movie before and that was four years ago, and now 20 or whatever more times this year.

Still, I think we shouldn't judge just yet because if you think about it, leaking a few new songs, then touring over the summer, that's a great way to set up a fall release. You don't just release a single and album. You have to start generating some low level buzz among hardcore fans with a bit of mainstream coverage as well. GN'R has done that so far this summer. Now is the time to take that from point A to point B. VMAs are coming up. An opportunity they may take - who knows? If they do it's a whole new ballgame, right? So how can we judge right now? I don't think we can. Then Inland Invasion September 23rd. I think it'll be a whole new ball of wax by that day.

But the band really needs to do something over the next month. If they don't I will be concerned. And assuming they do I think they will have played their cards almost perfectly this year. They've really got this thing right where they want it. Now they need to capitalize.

Yeah, the next month, let's say til the end of September, is really key. If they are doing a fall release then shit needs to happen over the next forty days. And if a fall release is not happening you gotta wonder what they are thinking. These repetitive shows and no news can't go on much longer.

Dude....the guy in this

video is one of the funniest things I've seen all week. I'm talking about the blonde guy who says something like:

"Axl used to be a cool guy...he used to drink some and smoke some cigarettes..."

"I'm really fucked up right now...I'm gonna drink these two wines... and then I'm gonna party like hell."

This guy deserves our salute.

Without an album, all this tour looks like is a nostalgia act with Axl trying to relive his glory days.
I agree.
Basically, exactly like the 2002 tour.
Don't agree. At least in the last tour, they seemed more creative, instead of now where he's trying to be more like the past and just ends of looking kinda funny jumping around and trying to be sexy or some shit.

Dude....the guy in this
video is one of the funniest things I've seen all week. I'm talking about the blonde guy who says something like:

"Axl used to be a cool guy...he used to drink some and smoke some cigarettes..."

"I'm really fucked up right now...I'm gonna drink these two wines... and then I'm gonna party like hell."

This guy deserves our salute.

I agree with the American guy with the red bandanna in that vid. The old band was the best, but lets just enjoy this one for what it is because it aint changeing anytime soon.

I hate to say it, but pretty much the only people "hyped" about CD are we forum-dwellers and hardcore GNR fans, and we aren't enough to sell out arenas. So I respectfully agree with the original post. Axl NEEDS to release CD, and a hit single, in order to draw a crowd. After the 2002 fiasco, a lot of people don't take the new GN'R "freak show" seriously (as they think Buckethead's still in the band, and he was a joke).

Agreed..

-Kickingthehabit

-Kickingthehabit

Even then, you will still find something to complain about.