Cocaine

adnan

Cocaine  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, the news of the collaboration got me thinking about this, I couldn't find any studio versions on youtube, so here's two very good live versions.

Cale: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dnVXREkzIdw

Clapton: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mJqgxjUy7lc

I enjoy Cale's version more, even live. Cale's mellow sound suits my personality better. I love the solo he does on this particular recording.

I haven't heard Cale's version so I'd have to say Clapton for now. The solo is among the best of the 70's. I do like Cale's version of After Midnight but I've only heard it live (claptons crossraods guitar festival). It sounds mellow and has that 'Texan' feel to it. Eric awknoledges his songs and prefers to play his versions. Shows how much of a good and open musician clapton is.

You are aware that Cale's is the original?

Not that covers aren't sometimes better, but I thought you might be one of those purists that don't like covers.

I know that J.J. Cale wrote that song. but clapton is god what am I supposed to say?

normally I think that no cover can beat the original but there are some exceptions to the rule and Cocaine is one of them.

Tough choice, but EC. Clapton, to me, is the greatest guitar player who ever lived. He also has more power than Cale. I love the collaborations that those two do together though. When they played together at Crossroads, it was absolutely electric. I'm really stoked for Road to Escondito. It should be the greatest blues colaboration since Riding with the King: Clapton, Cale, and the late Billy Preston.

I'm seeing EC on Wednesday. Cannot wait to hear this song live!

Clapton and Cale playing After Midnight

Edited by axlslash

Tough choice, but EC. Clapton, to me, is the greatest guitar player who ever lived.

To me too. I spilled a can of beans when I said that on this board.

All the fans of overrated dead bodies started popping up and e-yelling at me...

I just prefer Cale's laid back version, and sound, nobody will ever touch Clapton as a guitarist.

Tough choice, but EC. Clapton, to me, is the greatest guitar player who ever lived.

I just prefer Cale's laid back version, and sound, nobody will ever touch Clapton as a guitarist.

No one's ever e-yelled at me. And I've ranted and raved about the greatness of Eric Clapton. Oh no, that one time where I posted the US tour dates <_< fags.

Arcatching him on this tour? Supposedly his duets with Cray are stunning. Clapton and Cray are two of my fave guitar players (Clapton's my #1 ever as I said). This will be my second time seeing Cray (saw him open for Buddy Guy in August) and my first time seeing God. I'm uber psyched for Wednesday!

Arcatching him on this tour? Supposedly his duets with Cray are stunning. Clapton and Cray are two of my fave guitar players (Clapton's my #1 ever as I said). This will be my second time seeing Cray (saw him open for Buddy Guy in August) and my first time seeing God. I'm uber psyched for Wednesday!

If this was meant towards me (since i mentioned the tour), no im not. i wish i could but i cant afford it. that and the set list looks wack since its from i think the reptile cd(from past shows). id rather see him on like a 'farewell' tour or something, where he'd play his classics and special guests and junk. kind of like "the last waltz." :)

No one's ever e-yelled at me. And I've ranted and raved about the greatness of Eric Clapton. Oh no, that one time where I posted the US tour dates <_< fags.

Ever said he was better than overrated dead bodies #1 and #2?

The setlists have actually been pretty good, IMO. Mixing it up with D&TD era stuff, solo stuff, and Old Love (a song written by Clapton and Cray). Here's the list from last night (kickoff of the US tour):

Pretending

I Shot The Sheriff

Got To Get Better In A Little While

Old Love (with Robert Cray)

Everybody Oughta Make A Change

Motherless Children

Back Home (sit down accoustic)

I Am Yours (sit down accoustic)

Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out (sit down accoustic)

Running On Faith (sit down accoustic)

After Midnight

Little Queen Of Spades

Further On Up The Road

Wonderful Tonight

Layla

Cocaine

Encore

Crossroads (with Robert Cray)

if dead body #1 is Jimi Hendrix, I'm into him now more (at the mo) than clapton. not that hes number one, but ive been in the Jimi mood.

axlslash, what the hell! the set lists from the euro tours didn;t have any classics, from what i remember. now i regret not saving money <_< too late now. i think the show here in Miami is on oct 26 and im going to a show on the 21 and fucking gnr. im not going to gnr, i can care less :P:monkey: but yeah, i regret not saving money now. get some pictures and a good review, man!

if dead body #1 is Jimi Hendrix, I'm into him now more (at the mo) than clapton. not that hes number one, but ive been in the Jimi mood.

axlslash, what the hell! the set lists from the euro tours didn;t have any classics, from what i remember. now i regret not saving money <_< too late now. i think the show here in Miami is on oct 26 and im going to a show on the 21 and fucking gnr. im not going to gnr, i can care less :P:monkey: but yeah, i regret not saving money now. get some pictures and a good review, man!

I'm really hoping I can get a camera in. I'm in the first row of the second deck, directly over the stage. Ace view for pics if they let cameras in.

As far as the overrated boddies, Jimi is over rated. If you are calling SRV overrated, though......just no. The guy, given time, would have far surpassed Clapton. While the same argument could be made for Hendrix, I see Stevie differently. While Hendrix was able to do crazy things on the guitar, SRV did even more incredible things with the guitar. The guitar was as much a part of Stevie's body as his nose, and he was lightyears ahead of Clapton at that age.