Axl hates UYIs?

Newbie Rose

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean come on, only four songs out of 30 are being played. Well okay, all four are played each night, but WTF, two covers (Live & Let die, KOHD) and two obvious smash hits (YCBM & November rain) and thats it?

We all know that theres so much more to "Use your Illusion"s than just those songs;

"Dont cry"(fuck the Bumblefoot "solo"), "Civil war", "Estranged", "The Garden", "Garden of eden"... the list goes on. Some of these songs could well work with the new material, and some of them would be full-on straight forward adrenaline rush rocknroll... not to mention most of them being big hits aswell...

In comparison they play 8-10 songs from "Appetite" each night, and songs like "Think about you" or "My michelle" are indeed fan favourites but hardly smash hits or songs that a wider audience would like to hear instead of say "Dont cry" or "Civil war".

The setlists during this tour have been GREAT, but not surprising at all, especially if you think what theyve played from UYIs.

Or might AXL just be afraid how the not-so-familiar UYI songs get across... But that cant be since theyre playin the new songs...

So PLEASE play MY WORLD atleast just once...

Just my toughts tough...

I guess Axl wants to show the world his band is an actual rock band. And AFD songs soud very actual. But UYI song are too 90' and many people thinks this kind of soud is dated or 'has been'.

I mean come on, only four songs out of 30 are being played. Well okay, all four are played each night, but WTF, two covers (Live & Let die, KOHD) and two obvious smash hits (YCBM & November rain) and thats it?

We all know that theres so much more to "Use your Illusion"s than just those songs;

"Dont cry"(fuck the Bumblefoot "solo"), "Civil war", "Estranged", "The Garden", "Garden of eden"... the list goes on. Some of these songs could well work with the new material, and some of them would be full-on straight forward adrenaline rush rocknroll... not to mention most of them being big hits aswell...

In comparison they play 8-10 songs from "Appetite" each night, and songs like "Think about you" or "My michelle" are indeed fan favourites but hardly smash hits or songs that a wider audience would like to hear instead of say "Dont cry" or "Civil war".

The setlists during this tour have been GREAT, but not surprising at all, especially if you think what theyve played from UYIs.

Or might AXL just be afraid how the not-so-familiar UYI songs get across... But that cant be since theyre playin the new songs...

So PLEASE play MY WORLD atleast just once...

Just my toughts tough...

How many screen names do you have, Kanada?

Elmir, I think the overwhelming consensus would be not to drop the classics(of course you have to have SCOM, PC, WTTJ, etc), but do drop the covers and some of the solos. Just fitting in Civil War and Don't Cry over KOHD and LALD would be a significant improvement...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Elmir, I think the overwhelming consensus would be not to drop the classics(of course you have to have SCOM, PC, WTTJ, etc), but do drop the covers and some of the solos. Just fitting in Civil War and Don't Cry over KOHD and LALD would be a significant improvement...

i agree with most of the replies here, but 3/4 of the songs on that setlist are there for a reason other than just because....KOHD is a great (if not the only) way to get the crowd involved, which is a must, especially for this new band, as they need the audience to react favorably to them....

LALD could be dropped though, as well as the solos....they don't do much other than to allow Axl time to change his shirt...as intro's to songs, yes, but they could be cut down a whole lot...yes...

That's a good question and I think a lot of us are wondering about it. Why is it the UYI songs are not making it onto the setlists? They seem very much suited to this band. It's not like they haven't had plenty of time to learn the whole catalogue by now.

Axl was never a big fan of the AFD style songs, if anything he has always alluded to the fact that he made that record so that he could do UYI which was his grand vision.

If he hates UYI now it would be very ironic since that whole project was pretty much his baby.

It's really too bad, I wonder if we will ever hear UYI tunes like civil war, estranged, pretty tied up,etc ever again...

Edit: There is no way an audience would rather hear cover tunes like KOHD and LALD or AFD's weaker tunes like My Michelle and Out ta get me over "Don't Cry", "Civil War", "Estranged",etc. No freakin way. There is really no excuse to not play Don't Cry, that is the first guns n roses song ever written and an absolute classic. It has every right to be on that setlist along with November Rain.

when did axl say he didnt really like appetite style songs because if he didnt why would he even want to be in gnr from the start or hollywood rose and others?? :question:

That's a good question. :unsure:

I think they are trying to play all the hits (most from AFD)....everyone knows them for that which attracts older fans that forgot about them and same with new fans. Its just a matter of how many songs (outside the hits) they can fit on the setlist I suppose.

But who cares...at least Guns are up and going again... rock3

this is from an August 14th 2002 interview:

"I gave into a lot of pressure on Illusions both internally in Guns and externally in the press, those albums suffered as a consequence, it's not something I'm too excited to have to live with again."

source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/article...hp?articleid=82

Maybe Axl is disappointed in the illusion albums?

I'm pretty sure the reason they don't play Don't Cry anymore is because the guy that Axl sang it with, Shannon Hoon (I think it was his cousin, not sure though), died and that it's to painful or something like that.

they weren't related. shannon hoon is the singer of blind melon. he's also from lafayette, but he didn't meet axl there, he met him in LA.

this is from an August 14th 2002 interview:

"I gave into a lot of pressure on Illusions both internally in Guns and externally in the press, those albums suffered as a consequence, it's not something I'm too excited to have to live with again."

source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/article...hp?articleid=82

Maybe Axl is disappointed in the illusion albums?

Damn you. I was going to quote that.

I think it's understandable really. Whilst I love the Illusions, it's clear Appetite is miles and miles ahead of it. He realises AFD is his best work, which is why he plays it every night.

...maybe he really does hate that time period, because LALD and KOHD are both cover songs, and NR and YCBM were both written in the same sessions as Appetite, so truthfully, he plays NOTHING from that time period.

Then again, maybe he's trying to mix the first songs the original GNR wrote and recorded, with the first songs the new GNR wrote and recorded....kind of an introduction.

I do not have any real problems with the songs they are playing. Of course I would realistically like to hear Civil War, Back Off Bitch and maybe Shotgun Blues. The new band would be able to do justice of these songs. If he would throw in Civil War and swap out LALD or KOHD I would be happier. Cut down on two solos and add another CD trac. Remove Out Ta Get Me and add another CD trac. And I am not even talking about anything we havent heard.

UYI was partly the reason Nirvana got big.

UYI as good as it was, was too much. Not enough emotion and rawness. Nirvana had that.

If UYI was recorded in the same style as AFD with raw emotion and with the occasional piano bits (NR, Estranged etc) and none of that synth shit, it wouldv'e smashed Nevermind (I love that album aswell)

So in brief, Axl was upset that his vision didn't do aswell as he wanted and he knows this. So as of late, he says that the Illusions was all Slash etc. He tried to "bury Appetite" but couldn't and he wants to forget about them.

With that being said, I still love the Illusions because thought the old GnR were artistic gods with some of the songs on that Album.

Uh, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but didn't Nevermind only sell like 15 million copies? The Illusions each sold 15 million+. Also, the UYI tour went into 1993, lasting for 2 years. Nevermind came out in 91 and In Uetero came out in 93. I've heard some people make the claim that grunge killed GN'R. This is just crazy talk. Not saying you, Mr. Manson, are saying that though.

I'm also under the impression that a large amount of the Illusions should be credited to Slash as far as the different sort of era is concerned. He is the one who assembled the illusion tour band. The horns and backup singers were his idea and him and Duff pretty much picked Matt Sorum.

Here's an idea. Axl changes GNR's name to something else, they release the Chinese Democracy record, play new material at the concerts and change music again, conquer the world and only play a few GNR classics. You know, Axl's babies.

Ah, screw it. It's just easier and faster to use the name Guns N' Roses.

Axl, I'm glad you're getting cool again. Keep it up.

I'm also under the impression that a large amount of the Illusions should be credited to Slash as far as the different sort of era is concerned. He is the one who assembled the illusion tour band. The horns and backup singers were his idea

..Seriously?

Actually, Slash was instrumental in pursuing the 'Skin N' Bones' leg of the Illusion tour. He and the band felt it was necessary to scale everything back and eliminate the theatrical elements of the show (i.e.) blow up dolls, horn section, back up singers, etc.

It was rumored that the live arrangements during this period were what the albums were going to sound like before Axl chose the more polished, albeit overproduced sound..

-Kickingthehabit

That's a good question and I think a lot of us are wondering about it. Why is it the UYI songs are not making it onto the setlists? They seem very much suited to this band. It's not like they haven't had plenty of time to learn the whole catalogue by now.

Axl was never a big fan of the AFD style songs, if anything he has always alluded to the fact that he made that record so that he could do UYI which was his grand vision.

If he hates UYI now it would be very ironic since that whole project was pretty much his baby.

It's really too bad, I wonder if we will ever hear UYI tunes like civil war, estranged, pretty tied up,etc ever again...

Edit: There is no way an audience would rather hear cover tunes like KOHD and LALD or AFD's weaker tunes like My Michelle and Out ta get me over "Don't Cry", "Civil War", "Estranged",etc. No freakin way. There is really no excuse to not play Don't Cry, that is the first guns n roses song ever written and an absolute classic. It has every right to be on that setlist along with November Rain.

my michelle and out ta get me actually suit the band perfectly. Some of the most energetic songs of the performance. you'll see what i mean in a couple weeks :)

I actually agree. Also throw in LALD. These songs are all great live. But they have also run their course IMO, as there are other songs this band can do that would have a similar impact. KOHD is a big momentum killer - it gets the crowd involved, and hey I think that's great. Cuz towards the end of the song something is needed to wake them up!! Honestly, if they have to do a cover I propose Since I Don't Have You instead. It would freshen things up a bit.

ONE.

you've been a gnr fan for as long as you can remember...you have all the records, collected more bootlegs than anyone else, own more merchandise than any other fan...but you've never been to a concert....

then you hear that they're coming to a venue near you...and you freak out...you can't believe it...you queue for tickets, stand all day just so you can get a place near the front, all of your favorite gnr songs are going through your head, you're imagining what the outro to NR sounds like live, what the SCOM solos are like, does he really use the wow wow pedal or not....a billion questions....then...the show ends....they play none of those songs...instead you got Garden of Eden and Don't Damn me...

would you be disappointed?

I think if you're a lifelong fan and have all the albums and all the boots, anything they play (aside from real bizarre choices like My World or something) would excite you. Dead Horse and Breakdown are two of my absolute favourite songs, and I would love to hear these over almost any other song you could possibly choose. I've been to only one Guns show, back in May at Hammerstein, and I can tell you unequivocally I would have loved to have heard these songs at that gig. SCOM, WTTJ, LALD? Man, if you've got all the boots you've seen and heard those dozens of times.

As for point TWO, honestly, I can't say I care about the casual fan. If you've got no clue about the band or it's songs that is your fault and you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you have no idea what is going on then don't blame the band - blame yourself! I mean, it's not like anyone is arguing to get rid of SCOM, WTTJ, or PC. Casual fans will still have those and probably a few others. But they can't reasonably expect a full set of only hit songs.

Edited by KBear

I'm also under the impression that a large amount of the Illusions should be credited to Slash as far as the different sort of era is concerned. He is the one who assembled the illusion tour band. The horns and backup singers were his idea

..Seriously?

Actually, Slash was instrumental in pursuing the 'Skin N' Bones' leg of the Illusion tour. He and the band felt it was necessary to scale everything back and eliminate the theatrical elements of the show (i.e.) blow up dolls, horn section, back up singers, etc.

It was rumored that the live arrangements during this period were what the albums were going to sound like before Axl chose the more polished, albeit overproduced sound..

-Kickingthehabit

Ah, that makes much more sense.

Does anybody else think the band doesnt practice the UYI songs? I wonder if they have played everything GNR have released, it would be interesting to hear some of those recordings if they practice them and if they exist, the recordings that is. But Coma should be left untouched by the new band, something has to and I think Coma is that song if anything

UYI suits this band much more than AFD or Lies, in my opinion

But Coma should be left untouched by the new band, something has to and I think Coma is that song if anything

Actually Coma is the one song they really need to play. It's probably the most challenging GNR song ever made. If they want to show how skilled they are, Coma is the way to go.

Great signature Karri-

Coma would seal the deal for these guys and show of their talent if they could pull it off.

The few live versions are just too amazing, it is a shame to leave it behind in the dust even if they have to practice forever to get it done.

quit crying and enjoy what we have

God you ppl suck so bad sometimes

always bitching about something

im sure axl has a better feel concering what should be played than any of us....so let it go and enjoy it

seriously

another thing

UYI was a collaboration...thats why we saw 2 cds.... axl wanted to change the style a little bit, and slash wanted to stay raw and hard core. you cannot say UYI should be credited to slash (regardless of who picked the band) b/c some songs were what slash would have preferred and others had axls preferences.

quit makin shit up, quit speculating on shit you dont know, and enjoy the damn music for whats its worth.

the greatest frontman of all time is touring and all you can do it pick different problems out (albeit things that really are NOT problemental)