Trivia: Johnny Depp Studied Axl/Slash For Petty Video

jsmith

I've seen a few mentions of the "Into the Great Wide Open" Tom Petty video, which stars Johnny Depp as Eddie, the Rebel Without a Clue, a hayseed who catches a midwest bus bound for Hollywood, picks up a guitar, a tatoo, a bandana and a bottle, and becomes a famous rock star.

To my knowledge, nothing was officially (or unofficially) said about Eddie being based on Axl, or at least an Axl/Slash amalgamation -- it's fairly generic -- but that seems to be the case. Sources confirm that Depp asked to hook up with the Illusions tour for a few dates back in '91 and spent the show(s) in the pit closely studying Axl and the band.

Just weeks later, 'The Great Wide Open' was shot and released to MTV.

Draw your own conclusions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kivYonE386I

Johnny Depp always great!! I loved the video, although I don't see the resemblance... apart from the beginning when he arrives at the city, which reminded me a bit of WTTJ video, but it's cliche anyway.

Boring song :sleeper: and the most irritating thing is that I repeat the melody and the lyrics of the refrain to my head and I can't stop that!!! <_<

I don't really see any direct reference to Axl or Slash. Maybe Depp hooked up with Guns in order to tap into the rockstar mentality, since that is what Method actors do, but the story of a small town kid who makes it big in the city was a common tale back then. Watch Poison's 'Fallen Angel' video and there's a similar story there. There's a shot of a chick getting off the bus that is almost exactly like Axl's entrance in Jungle.

I don't really see any direct reference to Axl or Slash. Maybe Depp hooked up with Guns in order to tap into the rockstar mentality, since that is what Method actors do, but the story of a small town kid who makes it big in the city was a common tale back then. Watch Poison's 'Fallen Angel' video and there's a similar story there. There's a shot of a chick getting off the bus that is almost exactly like Axl's entrance in Jungle.

I agree.

Have always loved the video and the number - well, Depp is there :krider:

I see some Axl stuff in there:

-The way he wears the cap before he gets on the greyhound.

-The big mansion.

-Swimming to the surface with his girl (Axl and Steph).

-Tom Petty looking like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

Boring song :sleeper: and the most irritating thing is that I repeat the melody and the lyrics of the refrain to my head and I can't stop that!!! <_<

isn't that usually considered the mark of a good song?

axl wishes he could write lyrics as good at tom petty's. not a slam against axl necessarily, as tom petty is god. even izzy can't touch him.

This is definitely the mark of a catchy song and not necessarily of a good one.

Personally I didn't like that.