Has Axl ever actually hit the high notes?

ags_rule

I'm just wondering, has Axl ever actually hit that high note in 'IRS' at a concert before? I still consider it one of the most impressive vocal sections I've ever heard in any song, although I'm don't know if Axl hit that note without the use of some sort of editing on the demo, considering the fact he never seems to hit it or even try to hit it at concerts, or at least the ones that I've heard.

Maybe it's the reason why 'There Was A Time' is never played live? It has a big section with nothing buy high notes near the end.

ok,axl never hit that high note in i.r.s or even tried to hit it before the solo in the end, but in the demo he IS hitting in without

no editing help... in manchester I believe, he didn't hit that note but he held it in a lower octave and that

my friend, was impresive...

i'm sure he can hit it but remember he has to sing for 2 hours in a show...he just picks his moments

(smart singing)

Edited by Rovim

I agree, that high F sharp he hits right before Buckethead's solo is spine tingling...and it lasts for ages!! I just don't think he's able to do it live without blowing out his voice for the rest of the show, pity :(

Monty

Edited by BLSMonty

You honestly think he's cheating on I.R.S. Fatness? I mean it's pretty obvious to me he just sings better in the studio. One song is a lot easier to be perfect on than a 2 1/2 hour setlist.

Edited by Mav23

You honestly think he's cheating on I.R.S. Fatness? I mean it's pretty obvious to me he just sings better in the studio. One song is a lot easier to be perfect on than a 2 1/2 hour setlist.

It's obvious to you that he sings better in the studio, huh? So why do you think that is?

I don't think of it as cheating. That's just the new style of Axl's sound. Processed, recorded seperately, over dubbed, tweaked and polished to his liking. But that's the times, I guess. Just listen to that Hoobastank douche live vs. on an album.

It's not that he sounds a little better in the studio. He sounds COMPLETELY different. Way better. Way stronger. He hits notes on the album that he won't even try live. Just listen to his scream at the last VMA's. Sounded like a 12-year-old girl. Then listen to "I never wanted you to be so full of anger..."

Honestly, what do you think they're doing in the studio for 14 years? Playing cards?

Oh I'm confident that he layers his vocals and sings parts seperately then splices them together and all that, I was referring to actually digitally tweaking recordings of his voice, I don't think he does that unless it's an obvious thing for effect like on the UYIs. I was saying I would be disheartened if he tried to pass off a digitally tweaked vocal as a legit, unaltered voice.

Edited by Mav23

He definitely sounds better in the studio. That may be because he does a million takes per song until he nails it or it could be done with a digital pitch-shifting effect. Digital recording technology has advanced to the point that we'll never know, but I have heard quite a few bootlegs from this tour and I have not heard him hit that note once.

Okay, obviously everything from the studio is better. He gets as many chances as he wants to perfect his voice. I.R.S. comes at the end of concerts so he may just be tired or he wants to save his voice for the rest of the songs. He only gets one shot when he is live. Either way, I think his voice is amazing.

First off, as just said, check out Rock Am Ring.. weak voice? Pffft..

And, seriously.. better voice in the studio? Compared to who? He's one of the few singers out there that from time to time beats his studio recordings by far at live performances. I agree though that he doesn't have the same strength in his voice as he had in the 80s, that's easy to hear when you listen to different WTTJ performances.

Like 9 out of 10 singers can't come near their studio recordings live , Axl is not one of them.

The scream in IRS isn't done "justice" live because it's a pretty hard song to sing live and I think it's more the fact he is - not out of breath - but can't hold a not that long.

Like say YCBM - when did he ever get near the long scream on the UYI tour?!! That's right never. The over-dubbed Live Era was how he obviously wanted it (like the album version), but he didn't get near it live. In fact he does a better job in the concerts nowadays than he did back in 'the day'.

I think it's exactly the same with IRS. It's not that his voice is shot or it's lost power or any of that horse shit.

So everyone stop talking shit and realise it's a hard thing to do because there's no real time to get your breathing 'normal' before attempting that note in IRS. Especially after running about for 2 hours.

In the studio he has lots of time to have a break before singing "you know it's truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue yeah, yeah" so of course it sounds better on record. As do most singers.

LP