Big Flop commercially?

ivarzzz

First off I hope personally the album does very well, being a Gnr fan ever since i heard Rocket Queen :) But deep down i think it won't be commercially successful. I believe that it will be the most downloadable/pirated album ever in history.. I think that a lot of people were pissed off at the last tour and maybe a way of getting back at axl.. thats just one reason..flame if you will but remember my words..

lol, you must be from HTGTH.

There is a big chance that you are going to be right...But something tells me this album is going to sell very well for the download era. I would say about 5 million worldwide at least.

If you will flame, remeber my words

A8R

First off I hope personally the album does very well, being a Gnr fan ever since i heard Rocket Queen :) But deep down i think it won't be commercially successful. I believe that it will be the most downloadable/pirated album ever in history.. I think that a lot of people were pissed off at the last tour and maybe a way of getting back at axl.. thats just one reason..flame if you will but remember my words..

If it's downloaded by a ton of "former fans" who are angry at Axl then who cares? They'll only listen to it, think it's awesome and then go to a show that they wouldn't have went to otherwise and probably buy the follow up album if it comes out too.

...and then there's the tons of new fans GnR will gain from piracy. There's a load of artist I've got into and bought their shit after I dl'd some of their stuff and thought it was cool.

Poeple forget, piracy can be an awesome promotional tool too, just look at the leaks.

It'll be REALLY hard to. You're just one of many singing the same tune. :sleeper:

There's a thread called "Predictions on how CD will sell" or something like that, should post there your opinion instead of making a "new" thread about this.

Kannon.

It'll be REALLY hard to. You're just one of many singing the same tune. :sleeper:

There's a thread called "Predictions on how CD will sell" or something like that, should post there your opinion instead of making a "new" thread about this.

Kannon.

Sorry im new here.

Kannon.

Sorry im new here.

Welcome, friend.

"American idiot" from Green Day sold 16 million albums worlwide..hopefully CD will sell a bit more :)

We live in a "download era",but people still like to buy the album in the stores.

Umm, dude, are you kidding me??? I am a huge fan, and have seen them in the last month, but they will not even come close to 16 million. In this age of downloading and pop/rap/hiphop/wannabegrunge there is no way GNR will get a significant share. I love the music, but you guys are setting yourselves up if you are expecting anything more than decent sales 2-5 million. It will go double plat eventually. The point is not whether it sells, it is whether the music is good and the tour will be successful. Money is made on tour and on endorsements, not on album sales( not significant amounts). Lets just enjoy it and come back down to earth. Greenday is the modern day U2, they are a juggernaut. They are also boring and a bit pretentious as punk bands go. But whatever.

The reason Green Day's CD sold well is cos' it had like over 20 tracks & people are too lazy to arse with downloading that many songs, buying it was easier.

Actually it is because Greenday took the edge off punk rock music by former bands like The Ramones, appealed to the masses and gave people an alternative to grunge, damn I hate it when people dont know shit about history, music or otherwise. Greenday has a huge demographic (look that up in the dictionary) GNR doesnt have this. Eventually with enough touring and goodwill (set by showing up to shows) they can grow a little. Everyone likes a winner, and if Axl ever just came through for a significant amount of time people would forget about his bullshit. Look at Hugh Grant, he got caught getting blown by a hooker in his car and people eventually forgot. He still gets movies. Axl can erase alot of the poor perception if he wants too. But if he did, he wouldnt be Axl, so we get hat we get. I am not complaining, I will take what I can get, but I have no illusions of him. He is a 44 year old guy who was at one time the best front men in Rock and Roll, he is now less than that, but 80 percent of the early 90's is still great. See you guys in Oakland on Dec. 15. section 106.

The reason Green Day's CD sold well is cos' it had like over 20 tracks & people are too lazy to arse with downloading that many songs, buying it was easier.

Actually it is because Greenday took the edge off punk rock music by former bands like The Ramones, appealed to the masses and gave people an alternative to grunge, damn I hate it when people dont know shit about history, music or otherwise. Greenday has a huge demographic (look that up in the dictionary) GNR doesnt have this. Eventually with enough touring and goodwill (set by showing up to shows) they can grow a little. Everyone likes a winner, and if Axl ever just came through for a significant amount of time people would forget about his bullshit. Look at Hugh Grant, he got caught getting blown by a hooker in his car and people eventually forgot. He still gets movies. Axl can erase alot of the poor perception if he wants too. But if he did, he wouldnt be Axl, so we get hat we get. I am not complaining, I will take what I can get, but I have no illusions of him. He is a 44 year old guy who was at one time the best front men in Rock and Roll, he is now less than that, but 80 percent of the early 90's is still great. See you guys in Oakland on Dec. 15. section 106.

I've seen Greenday and have all the albums. There music is pretty cool but nothing spectacular by any means. I would laugh if anyone dared compare there albums to GNR. I am sure CD will sell at least as well as the GH. Of course it will not outsell Britney Spears or Usher. But who cares?

so, I don't get it.. why can't Chinese Democracy have the same impact as American Idiot?? I don't know, call me naive, but I thought a build up of over 10 years of expectations and myth over this album would be enough to make it huge..

what was so special about American Idiot to sell that many copies anyway?? I would say mainly the teen population that converted it in a fashion statement, whoever wanted to be 'cool' had to own American Idiot, it was a fuckin trend for a while...

now, I know Axl doesn't have that kind of power anymore, but if by chance it hits it that big among teens then CD has as many possibilities as American Idiot to sell so many albums, we know the music won't dissapoint and GN'R and Axl's names are big enough to put themselves in that global position. The awards part could be a little tough but if the critic is willing to ease up on them they could have a chance in that aspect too.. just like U2 and Green day the last years

I don't know, one can dream :P

Edited by angel of music

For so long back in early 2000 nobody would have given this record a smoking monkeys chance in hell but over the decades it has grown and grown until it almost seems as if its about to erupt. Like nothing can stop it now. Once the single is on MTV and a video is out there, people are going to be rediscovering GNR. And we'll have to listen to all these people say "Have you got the new GNR record, it's awesome" - won't that be fun. To be honest it's been funny listening to radio DJs spouting the specualtion that fans on internet forums generated as gospel. But the next part will be hilarious, you know, when people who have never bought a GNR record start reviewing the record.

Will Chinese Democracy be on Mini Disc?

I think sales initially will be very strong, but in order to be commercially successful there will have to be several hit singles.

For it to be successful people must keep being devoured by the music so that new people will go to the store and buy cds. Hell, I was born in '86 and didn't know about music when Gn'R was at its best. However when I got older and into music I discovered them and they're now my favourite band and I've got all their cds as I went to the store and bought them one by one. That's what must happen. The new genereations must keep going to the store and buy this album until the end of time :P I might have exaggerated a little as I got near the end here, but you get my point, I hope :)

I think sales initially will be very strong, but in order to be commercially successful there will have to be several hit singles.

For it to be successful people must keep being devoured by the music so that new people will go to the store and buy cds. Hell, I was born in '86 and didn't know about music when Gn'R was at its best. However when I got older and into music I discovered them and they're now my favourite band and I've got all their cds as I went to the store and bought them one by one. That's what must happen. The new genereations must keep going to the store and buy this album until the end of time :P I might have exaggerated a little as I got near the end here, but you get my point, I hope :)

I think you're right. Axl has to appeal to the younger audience. I was 13 when AFD came out, and most people my age that I know personally have lost all interest in GN'R since the original band dissolved. Some of them will return to the fold, but a great many won't.