Young vs Dylan vs Springsteen

johnezz

Young vs Dylan vs Springsteen  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All three men are undoubtebly the 3 greatest American songwriters,

But who do you think is the greatest of the 3?

For me it's The Boss.

I love Bob and Neil to death but Bruce has this honesty and passion about him that i admire so much. Musically his songwriting is much better too i think, and his lyrics are brilliant poetry.

All three men are undoubtebly the 3 greatest American songwriters,

But who do you think is the greatest of the 3?

For me it's The Boss.

I love Bob and Neil to death but Bruce has this honesty and passion about him that i admire so much. Musically his songwriting is much better too i think, and his lyrics are brilliant poetry.

I'd have to say Dylan and Neil is Canadian by the way. Springsteen is great though.

dylan man, no fuckin question. not to rag on anybodys taste but i seriously dont think springsteen n young, as brilliant as they are, are even comprable to ol' Bobby. having said that i've heard very little springsteen but johnezz is makin me wanna hear. what do u reccomend albumwise?

Edited by frankwhite

has anyone here seen neil young perform live? i saw him with CSNY this summer and he was one of the most intense performers i've ever seen. that seals the deal for me.

i know bruce is an incredible performer as well, but something about neil young just makes me shiver sometimes. and i don't think i've been exposed to enough dylan to really weigh in on him yet.

I don't think there's any competition to be honest. Dylan all the way. Neil Young is great but he's also churned out a lot of mediocre stuff and hasn't been as consistent as Dylan. Springsteen is great but some of his '80s stuff was not to my tastes. I don't think he's in the same league as Dylan whatsoever.

Pretty tough choice between Dylan and Springsteen there, seeing as I love both their poetic lyricism, but I'll say The Boss in the end. I've always considered him better at writing actual tunes and melodies and there's just something raw yet at the same time refined about that voice of his.

Although lots of other lyric-oriented songwriters should have been mentioned in this poll as well - Cohen, Waits and Cave, for example, are just every bit as brilliant at writing what may practically end up being poetry.

For me, Bob Dylan and Neil Yound is in a different class than Springsteen, however for me, Neil Young is definitly the best, his rawness, volnerability and honesty does that for me.

Cave and Cohen is also two other favorites of mine, everyone should get the live 1979 record of him, its just magic in that way only fantastic live records can be ;)

Neil Young

oh and...he's Canadian

;)

hahahha, sorry i've always thought he was American, well you learn something new everyday ay :P

Some good responses.

Sorry to all the Dylan lovers,

But none of his albums can come anywhere near Born to Run IMHO.