Nothing in the GnR world makes sense

SylvesterStallone

What was Axl doing in 2004-2006 without a lead Guitarist? someone brought this up in another thread and I'm just curious here, but from 2004-2006 after Bucket quit, GnR had no lead guitarist. What kind of recording was even taking place during that time? Did Axl just take a 2 year sabbatical?

Why would bumblefoot be hired like a month before touring began?

It's all very strange and doesn't add up.

Then we get news that he delayed the tour to finish up the album and put the finishing touches and that Bumblefoot and Frank were recording songs on the album?!

Can someone explain what is going on here because the chain of logic doesn't quite add up here.

He was nearly done in 2004. It's almost 2007. What happened in between? :question:

Am what about the other guitarists in the band?? Are you saying that they cant play lead. In the trunk interview he said that they were recording a song that wouldnt be on the album. My guess sir, and its purely a guess, is that they just kept recording more and more. Just because theres 13 songs on the album doesnt mean that theres not a mountain of demos some where. Any more then 13 songs would be considered over indulgant by critics. Short albums are good albums these days...

Yeah, this was what I had posted in another thread:

What I find strangest is that, if they only hired a new lead guitarist in 2006, what was Axl doing for two years? Buckethead quit in 2004. This probably means they weren't recording anything after he left if they needed Ron for '06 to play the songs. So why didn't Axl just finish up the album in '04, and have it COMPLETELY ready to be released on this tour? He should have hired BBF in '04, finished the extra work, and then gone on tour with the album totally mastered and ready for distribution.

It was reported that Axl had gone back into the studio after the European tour to put "last minute touches" on it.

It's been over ten years. What kind of last minute touches are needed?!

Axl released a press statement after the RIR04 cancellation saying that BH had left the band and that he would return to the studio to finish work and hopefully announce a release date "within the next few months."

I suppose we won't know for quite a long time.

I'd love for a "Making of Chinese Democracy" DVD to come along with CD! The backstory would be just as interesting as the album itself...providing the absolute, 100% truth about the album's recording ever comes out.

What I find strangest is that, if they only hired a new lead guitarist in 2006, what was Axl doing for two years? Buckethead quit in 2004. This probably means they weren't recording anything after he left if they needed Ron for '06 to play the songs. So why didn't Axl just finish up the album in '04, and have it COMPLETELY ready to be released on this tour? He should have hired BBF in '04, finished the extra work, and then gone on tour with the album totally mastered and ready for distribution.

It was reported that Axl had gone back into the studio after the European tour to put "last minute touches" on it.

Axl released a press statement after the RIR04 cancellation saying that BH had left the band and that he would return to the studio to finish work and hopefully announce a release date "within the next few months."

I'd love for a "Making of Chinese Democracy" DVD to come along with CD! The backstory would be just as interesting as the album itself...providing the absolute, 100% truth about the album's recording ever comes out.

That would be cool. Didnt richard go into the studio at the start of the year??...

Yeah you hit the nail on the head, I'd really love to hear a definitive answer on why Buckethead left the band and how close they were to releasing an album in 2004....

Nah, come on. Surgery? I don´t think so. He wasn´t in shape, that´s all. U can still advance without a lead guitar player and both Richard and Robin is just that. They are more scilled then many other guitarists in other bands. AND the lead(solos and stuff) is in general the last parts that be recorded for an album. Nothing to do with Bucket leaving. According to Axl himself they could make further on the album instead, and actually maked more time work on the CD when bucket leaved..

What was Axl doing in 2004-2006 without a lead Guitarist? someone brought this up in another thread and I'm just curious here, but from 2004-2006 after Bucket quit, GnR had no lead guitarist. What kind of recording was even taking place during that time? Did Axl just take a 2 year sabbatical?

Then we get news that he delayed the tour to finish up the album and put the finishing touches and that Bumblefoot and Frank were recording songs on the album?!

Can someone explain what is going on here because the chain of logic doesn't quite add up here.

He was nearly done in 2004. It's almost 2007. What happened in between? :question:

Why do you need to know? OH! you don't. maybe that's why. You are told what the band chooses to tell you

and what they don't is their business. Period. OK?

Wow, and I though this was the section to discuss GNR. If all we can talk about is what we know, they may as well close all the forums because none of us, including you, know anything since you can't even believe what GNR says anymore.

I'd love for a "Making of Chinese Democracy" DVD to come along with CD

that woul be awesome. but axl wouldnt allow it to come out. he doesnt want people to see the truth . and he doesnt want people to see him getting fat and all that stuff.

I remember an article maybe from a year or two ago where someone (an engineer or someone at the label) had said Axl would not show up at the recording studio for months at a time. I also remember Dizzy saying at one point he hadn't seen Axl in at least a year.

A DVD would be great, and it would probably show lots of gap in the timeline.

1. Trying to get Buckethead back in the band - also sorting out the legal issues regarding Bucket
  2. Settling legal issues about Montreal and Philly 2002 - Still unresolved to this day
  3. Writing new songs
  4. Letting the other guys focus on their side projects

Also - I read somewhere Guns N' Roses were barred from touring for 3 years due to the Philly incident.

That'd explain alot of it.

Also - I read somewhere Guns N' Roses were barred from touring for 3 years due to the Philly incident.

That'd explain alot of it.

Sorry but that's bullshit, they were scheduled to play Rock in Rio in 2004

But no US promoter wanted any part of them.

In less then a month on the road in 2002 (11/7/02 through 12/06/02) he had 2 no shows, 2 riots, and one time he cut the show short and just walked off the stage.

It's all a mystery. Honestly, I don't buy the whole BBF joining right before the tour tag line. I bet he's been around for longer than we all are made out to believe. The tid bits they do throw us... esp BBF... just could all be a smokescreen.

If that's not the case, yea, what the hell was going on for so long? Who knows... nobody. We'll all learn one day.

It's all a mystery. Honestly, I don't buy the whole BBF joining right before the tour tag line. I bet he's been around for longer than we all are made out to believe. The tid bits they do throw us... esp BBF... just could all be a smokescreen.

If that's not the case, yea, what the hell was going on for so long? Who knows... nobody. We'll all learn one day.

Bumblefoot doesn't seem like the type of guy who would lie to fans, and he said he wasn't selected until this year to be the lead guitarist. He said a rumor had begun in 2004 that he was in negotiations, but that it was bullshit, and BECAUSE of this rumor this is actually how management noticed him and took an interest in him for '06.

Yeah, it's all a mystery. I still stick by what I said earlier - a Bonus "Making-Of" DVD would be very interesting.

Bumblefoot doesn't seem like the type of guy who would lie to fans, and he said he wasn't selected until this year to be the lead guitarist. He said a rumor had begun in 2004 that he was in negotiations, but that it was bullshit, and BECAUSE of this rumor this is actually how management noticed him and took an interest in him for '06.

Yeah, it's all a mystery. I still stick by what I said earlier - a Bonus "Making-Of" DVD would be very interesting.

I don't think they are lying about BBF. From those May performances you can tell he wasn't in the band long. He seemed somewhat uncomfortable in those shows, and his playing wasn't it's best. As he's gotten more familiar with the material over the summer, his playing has improved.

Axl could have been doing something over those years though. Remember he was recording for GTA and then obviously tried to beat the game. :lol: No seriously - he could have been writing lyrics to completed music, recording those lyrics. They could have been creating and reviewing a lot of different mixes. Cover art. Etc. I'm pretty sure you don't go two years between work on a project this big. The way Axl seems to work I think he takes a lot of time off when he feels like it, but I'm sure he also dabbled on the album frequently.