Robin Finck

FunkyMonk

Now first off i'd like to say that ive got nothing against Finck, i quite like him and all.

This is just a general question i guess....What do we have to judge him on?

I mean is all we have on this fellow is the stuff he does with GnR (mostly old guns...not much of his)? weve heard Better and all the other leaks..and hes got some stuff with NiN, but nothing really to judge him on. im just asking whether we have...i dont know...other recordings from any other bands he's been in?

why did Axl pick Finck when he really didnt have much actual records to judge him by, hes a good choice, i do like him. but yeah...thats it.

:)

I don't really know much about him for various reasons...

But as far as I'm aware, he doesn't have a single album/cd to his name.

NIN was all trent, so he was more or less covering someone elses song live.

He has not got anything with GnR, he plays covers of the old bands songs. Supposedly a few of the new songs are his but they aren't on any album so I couldnt give a rats ass about them for the moment.

He has not got anything with GnR, he plays covers of the old bands songs. Supposedly a few of the new songs are his but they aren't on any album so I couldnt give a rats ass about them for the moment.

Axl said Better was a "Robin song."

I think he meant the style of the song, probably the main riff. I don't think Robin wrote the lyrics, they really seem like "Axl lyrics" and I think Axl has probably written most of the actual lyrics on this album.

I don't really know of anything else he's done...none of his work with NIN really stands out enough to be able to differentiate him - it's hard to pick out guitarists in an industrial band like that.

I think he meant the style of the song, probably the main riff. I don't think Robin wrote the lyrics, they really seem like "Axl lyrics" and I think Axl has probably written most of the actual lyrics on this album.

I don't really know of anything else he's done...none of his work with NIN really stands out enough to be able to differentiate him - it's hard to pick out guitarists in an industrial band like that.

Exactly what i was thinking.

So all we've got for Finck is 1 "Robin song" and a shit load of songs he covers. Nothing of his own stuff really...

Edited by FunkyMonk

Remember, though, that Robin was playing with Cirque du Soleil when Matt Sorum originally "discovered" him, and was impressed enough by him to bring Axl in to see him.

Amazing that a pair of guys like Matt Sorum and Axl Rose, who could pretty much have their pick of guitarists, found Robin to be so impressive, but a lot of the experts around here seem to think he just started playing guitar this year. :drevil:

Remember, though, that Robin was playing with Cirque du Soleil when Matt Sorum originally "discovered" him, and was impressed enough by him to bring Axl in to see him.

Amazing that a pair of guys like Matt Sorum and Axl Rose, who could pretty much have their pick of guitarists, found Robin to be so impressive, but a lot of the experts around here seem to think he just started playing guitar this year. :drevil:

Matt didn't "discover" him to be a lead player. He was looking for a rhythm player, which I think Finck could excel at. His weakness is his solos, they pretty much suck.

What I dont understand is, in '02 people bashed him for his bad playing and "goth" style.

Now its '06, he plays the same but looks more like a "rocker".

I personally like Robin, I did then and I do now, I just want to know why some people are suddenly fans now and hated him then.

He played great then and still does now, he just looks different.

His solo in The Blues is mindblowning and his Better solo is really great. Floppy or not, he have done solos which style I really like and I look forward to hear more of him. And I find it petty obvious that he have had more space for his personal style with the "dictator" Axl then he had with Trent.

Robin has a few songs on the ghost of mars soundtrack with BH and its great.

Robin is a GREAT guitar player, listen to his studio stuff (gnr and GOM). HE plays loose live but thats his style. Listen to his TWAT solos on the demo. Its amazing

Agreed.

His solo in The Blues is mindblowning and his Better solo is really great. Floppy or not, he have done solos which style I really like and I look forward to hear more of him. And I find it petty obvious that he have had more space for his personal style with the "dictator" Axl then he had with Trent.

:laugh:

:laugh:

Thanks that u highlighted the substance in my post :xmasschef2:

Ok, it was a bit fun :lol:

Sloppy is the word :book:

I completely love his style. He's a wild man and personally I think his playing and personality best fit what the "conceptual" GNR is all about. Granted, there are the sour notes, but Jimmy Page's overextended solos in virtually every Led Zeppelin show ever, were chock full of notes worse than Finck could ever manage. I'm judging him on his live performances, and in that realm he's the second most exciting person in the band. I'm judging him on the solos he's done between songs (the one in Worcester was kind of akin to Machine Gun and Since I've Been Lovin You) and the "leaked tracks." Slash is gone. Bumblefoot is a shredder (no thanks) and Fortus has less feel than Zakk Wylde. So all considered, as it is, he wins my hearty approval.

i think the difference between now and the 02 tour is more with the fans, in 02 everyone wanted a replacement for slash, so finck sucked at that, now everyone goes in to see the new gnr (after the first tour and the demos we all got a little more comfortable with the new sound and the way the new band played everything) so a lot of people are now more willing to embrace the new style of the old songs.

Edited by rain_king

that's what I thought and still think, but I still think robin may have had something to do with the lyrics in the chorus, not to say Robin isn't talented lyric writed 'cause I have no idea about it but the lyrics in the chorus of Better are very simple and everything, Axl has alot of metasomatism in his lyrics but it could very well be that those lyrics are also that kind of thing, I personally have no idea how the chorus makes sense to the verse lyrics

Funny, neither of those two are guitarists either. He was probably playing with a shitload of effects, disguising his very sloppy playing. I like Robin, but honestly I could play the old Guns stuff better than him.

Now first off i'd like to say that ive got nothing against Finck, i quite like him and all.

This is just a general question i guess....What do we have to judge him on?

I mean is all we have on this fellow is the stuff he does with GnR (mostly old guns...not much of his)? weve heard Better and all the other leaks..and hes got some stuff with NiN, but nothing really to judge him on. im just asking whether we have...i dont know...other recordings from any other bands he's been in?

why did Axl pick Finck when he really didnt have much actual records to judge him by, hes a good choice, i do like him. but yeah...thats it.

:)

Hes a sloppy player, thats my main reason for not being too keen on him. people say he plays with passion, but i think for Robin, that means WITHOUT concentration lol. Better owns though.

People are starting to settle for the guy. He's not great, he's not spectacular, he's not even that great a player. But without him Axl doesn't play, so for the greater good of Axl, he may as well be there, and Axl may as well keep doing shows...

i'm thinking you've never seen him live to make such a ridiculous comment.

theres a good reason axl won't play without him.