Why are we waiting?

Vincent Vega

Allright, just want to vent a little frustration.

I've been a fan for a while, not as long as a lot of you, from about 2000 or 2001. I loved all the albums as soon as I heard them, my personal favorites are Lies and UYI II. I've tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to convert my friend to Guns N Roses fans, I've had heated debates with my Nirvana loving friends over GN'R. I went nuts when I saw Axl on the VMAS back in '02, even though that performance was a shit fest. I lost interest in 2003-2004, and stopped listening to GN'R during that time. I started getting back into GN'R in mid 2005, don't know why. I've seen the band two times, in MSG 02 and Hammerstein '06. I have all the records and the Tokyo DVD's, so I've spent a bit of my money on this band, like all of you here have.

As a fan, Merck's new statement pissed me off. I'm certain it's more than a rumor, I mean look at the wording! It's classic Merck (which, by the way, we ought to collect all of Merck's statements on GN'R and make a Greatest Hits, "The Greatest Missayings and Gunjumpings of Merck (and Pittman)." To be released this Christmas season for family enjoyment. As a special offer, we'll bundle this little sack of joy along with "Kaneda: More Flip Flopping Fun")

Merck is so verbally cute--he dances around the topic and slips around it, saying obvious things like "There are 13 Tuesdays Left in the Year." Well, thank you Mr. Merck, I had no clue how many Tuesdays were left before you told me. Kind of like Axl's "People Will Hear Music This Year" statement. They make purposefully vague comments so that they can't be called on their shit later. Or, if the album doesn't come out this year, they would say "Well, people did hear music this year didn't they?" and Merck: "Well, check your calenders, there were 13 Tuesdays left in the year, so I wasn't lying." The only problem was Axl promising the album would be released this year, not once, but multiple times.

I am seriously beginning to think that Axl and Merck get their jollies stringing us along. They build us up, just to break us down, and have done so for years now. And we fall for it every time. We buy the tickets, and get all hyped and pumped up and think "OMG it's really coming, fuck yeah!" I know the feeling, because that's the way I felt most of the year with regard to this album and band.

I told all my friends, and got them pumped. I spent over $160 on tickets thinking this was the real thing, the Big Comeback. And I would gladly spend a hundred more dollars to see Axl and the band again, if I knew an album was coming out. I was so fucking thrilled, from Axl's reappearence in February right up until the ''Better'' Ad was pulled . I still felt very optimistic, thinking it was a teaser of what was to come, but Merck's comment that it will come out "some time" doesn't sound very encouraging.

And what's this jazz, an announcement announcing an announcement. WHY NOT JUST GIVE US THE FUCKING ANNOUNCEMENT?! Announce the announcement that you're announcing will be announced "Soon" right now and stop making us wonder what this announced announcement will be about, fuckface! A lot of us have wondered for quite a while already....

Soon is such an overused word in the GN'R world. In the world of Monty Python, "Nii!" is a word that causes those who hear it to have pain, and in the world of a GN'R fan, soon is equivalent.

Merck Muckupgunsnroses isn't a manager; he's managed to bungle every chance at publicity (specificially good publicity) in his tenure as manager of this fucking 8 Ring Circus. When you look at other managers, like Peter Grant, and how they pushed and whored their bands to get the most success and recognition possible, it's kind of dissapointing when looked at in comparison to the great achievements of Mercky Boy, and the many wonderful things to further GN'R's career...Not!

The only thing he's done as manager is 1) Spread false hope and 2) Line his pockets with GN'R's wealth and 3) Let people down.

These last few months have been truly depressing to me as a GN'R fan, and if the album doesn't come out this year, I personally think it'd be a smart move for all of us just to move on. It's proven to be a cycle that just continues on over and over again, and we constantly get duped. Maybe when nobody comes to the shows, Axl will see just what the fuck he's doing. You'd think being able to sell only 3,000 tickets would show him something....

Let's face it, we're no further on the path then we were in 2001. In 2001, we got live shows, and we heard new songs, with an album supposed to be coming out in a few months (June if I remember correctly).

Sounds familiar.The details are a little clearer and a little bit prettier, the band looks and acts more like a unified band, Axl sounds better, better, and we get press releases a bit more often but other than that, this story is still on the same page as it was in 2001.

For five years, we've retraced the same steps, and it's looking worse and worse for the band in terms of creditability as time goes on. I mean, to the majority of the mainstream music world, Axl and the band is a running joke. Doesn't Axl give a shit at all? If he doesn't plan on delivering what everyone wants, why did he come out of Malibu? Is this tour sort of like his retirement fund? Or is it so he buy a John Lennon painting, or so he can pay for the new ferari or the next glass of expensive liquor?

What band pulls this? Sure, the Stones and Aerosmith came late to shows in the '70s, but at the same time, they consistently put out albums, most of them awesome. What band shrouds it's music and nature in secrecy? It's not the Da Vinci Code, it's Rock N' Roll...or in Axl's case, Rock N' Industrial Experimentation.

I mean seriously, have a little more respect for your fans...GN'R fans are one of the most dedicated groups of people out there. If it wasn't (partly) for us, Axl would be pumping gas tanks in Lafayette. and yet he repays our dedication by consistently shitting on us, and we, like fools, come back with our hands out for more. I seriously think that being a GN'R fan is similar to having Battered Wives' Syndrom (not dissing any abused women here)

Sorry for the long rant, just had to express some of my feelings that some of you may share.

Edited by Mr. Miser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely respect your frustration and agree with most of your sentiments but I admit I just skimmed your post as it's too long for my dumb ass to read. I would like to say that if you substitute Axl for everytime you say Merck it would make more sense. He works for a dick who keeps fucking up and (1) he's likely scared to say much to protect his reputation (2) he's likely been told to keep his mouth shut (3) he doesn't trust what Axl says and (4) he doesn't know what the hell is going on. I'd bet you money he hates Axl more than many of us. He comes off as a dick but he probably can't help it.

the big thing point, is that new GNR arent as young as they were in 2002! ..so this was the year to end all the jargon and final chance, finally release it, the songs we've heard are just ok ....nothing mind blowing except maybe "the blues" ....so personally i think they've SCREWED up big time

Edited by motownjunkie

I completely respect your frustration and agree with most of your sentiments but I admit I just skimmed your post as it's too long for my dumb ass to read. I would like to say that if you substitute Axl for everytime you say Merck it would make more sense. He works for a dick who keeps fucking up and (1) he's likely scared to say much to protect his reputation (2) he's likely been told to keep his mouth shut (3) he doesn't trust what Axl says and (4) he doesn't know what the hell is going on. I'd bet you money he hates Axl more than many of us. He comes off as a dick but he probably can't help it.

you are right about the dumb ass part. of course you agree with the negative aspect of his post, all you ever do is bitch, you must be a blast at parties.

you are right about the dumb ass part. of course you agree with the negative aspect of his post, all you ever do is bitch, you must be a blast at parties.

Gunzen's post is the perfect example of how people with their heads up Axl's (and unfortunately even Merck's) ass have absolutely nothing strong to say in defense of GNR. All they can do is make witty attacks against someone's beliefs about the band.

The only one who says anything insightful is Matt.

if the album doesnt come out this year are you still going to defend Axl after he has lied to everyone?

ive still got my fingers crossed.....but things arnt lookin' good.

the big thing point, is that new GNR arent as young as they were in 2002! ..so this was the year to end all the jargon and final chance, finally release it, the songs we've heard are just ok ....nothing mind blowing except maybe "the blues" ....so personally i think they've SCREWED up big time

The definition of 'mind blowing' is a subjective one. However, I personally feel that studio versions of each and every demo we've heard (with the exception of 'Silkworms') will destroy the Nickleback's, Green Day's etc that we currently have to endure as far as popular rock music is concerned. With that said, this BS with the CD release is inexcusable at this point.

Edited by Ions

:sleeper:

Am I the only one who is tired of these "Fan Confession" threads? They always start with "I've been a loyal fan forever" and then after the BUT degrade quickly in a quicksand of uselessness and Oprahfied rhetoric that makes me ... :sleeper:

... what?? ... another thread ... a whole page long ... who cares? who cares? who cares?

Am I the only one who is tired of these "Fan Confession" threads? They always start with "I've been a loyal fan forever" and then after the BUT degrade quickly in a quicksand of uselessness and Oprahfied rhetoric that makes me ... :sleeper:

... what?? ... another thread ... a whole page long ... who cares? who cares? who cares?

LOL @ 'Oprahfied'. - :lol: - (I hate her)

"You always had the power ladies!!!" - :devil:

Edited by Ions

LOL @ 'Oprahfied'. - :lol: - (I hate her)

"You always had the power ladies!!!" - :devil:

stupid oprah! :fuckyou::anger:

this has quite possibly the most frustrating year for gn'r die-hards. it's one thing to hear nothing, but when the album keeps getting dangled in front of your face and then yanked away, it's a bit insulting.

my personal thoughts on merck:

axl would not have hired merck if he couldn't control everything he does and says. i wouldn't trust a single thing that comes from him. if he's being vague it's because axl is giving him no other choice. it's in merck's personal interest to for the record to come out ASAP. merck had nothing to do with the original band, so he ain't seeing any percentages from the old stuff. merck only gets paid on what axl does after he became his manager. so leave merck out of it. there is only one man who is soley responsible for all this bullshit, and that is axl.

hehe, we all wait in the hope of something, you know, we do nearly come here every day, when we get to come online.. it sorta makes the days go longer when your in here everyday..

some people stopped comming to these forums, because of this problem, which is the delay-delay-delay of chinese democracy. Just that the most of us say we have given up in anger, hell i do it all the time, but we still come back here, hoping for something to change, and all we get is a oneliner from merck spinning shit that doesnt really mean anything.. (heres my frustration =) )

as far as im concerned, the more attention they get, the more withdrawn the damn gnrlineup seem.. they werent secretive when they started the damn gigs, but now have gone silent.

so fuck em, dont ask anymore, fuck that.. it gets us nowhere, and you want someone to get your attention, its simple, just ignore what they are doing, then they will want you to know what they are upto.

as hard as it is, just dont goto their gigs.. fuck it.. they are using you for your cash for this "chinese democracy tour" which is nothing but afd revisited. you payed for chinese democracy, and your getting 90% of 1987..

and not even a straight answer, except the "albums comming out this year" which doesnt seem likely.

"And what's this jazz, an announcement announcing an announcement. WHY NOT JUST GIVE US THE FUCKING ANNOUNCEMENT?! Announce the announcement that you're announcing will be announced "Soon" right now and stop making us wonder what this announced announcement will be about, fuckface!"

:lol:

Enjoyable read, excellent points, basically the same old song but I can feel your frustration 'cause I'm feeling exactly the same. I've already lost interest in following this tour closely, and I will not a give a shit about that album or any other Gn'R related news after 2006 if there is no album this year. If the guy can't deliver, what's there to follow or support? I already saw this band 4 times this summer and I have no interest in seeing them again without an album. It's the same old set, same old secrecy and same old manners and quite frankly I'm so damn tired of it.

damn right, i think theres a breaking point in everyone.. and that breaking point is soon for alot of us.

just for him being all secretive, ill download the damn album.i flamed someone in a topic about downloading it.. but now, just like someone said, you wanna get back at axl? dont buy the album untill 13 years after its released (if cds are still around)

and ill do that, because im a stubborn fucker

Its obvious why it isn't coming out. They got everyones hopes up so they could rake in a bunch of money on this tour. Thats why they keep stringing people along. If all these shows were sold out, they would have already released an excuse for why its not coming out.

This tour aint nothing but a fucking cash grab.

Enjoyable read, excellent points, basically the same old song but I can feel your frustration 'cause I'm feeling exactly the same. I've already lost interest in following this tour closely, and I will not a give a shit about that album or any other Gn'R related news after 2006 if there is no album this year. If the guy can't deliver, what's there to follow or support? I already saw this band 4 times this summer and I have no interest in seeing them again without an album. It's the same old set, same old secrecy and same old manners and quite frankly I'm so damn tired of it.

totally agree with that, interest is fading fast

ive lost interest now, and i think if it comes out next year the excitement will have vanished, i will be mildly interested ...its taken too long that it doesnt feel sincere to me, like all this delay is either about money .....or Axl getting himself sorted, demos have been around for ages, he's had plenty of time to just work and finish the album, they dont take over ten years .....he's never had a dedicated band with a real drive, its the Axl solo circus

Edited by motownjunkie

If you're "waiting" (I hate that term because it creates the idea you're doing nothing else with your life until cd is out), feel free to stop at any time and leave. If this is a waste of time, go. Stop being like emo kids telling the whole world they're gonna slit their wrists without ever doing it.

Is it SO hard to understand that there is no "waiting". There is just doing what you normaly would and if CD drops along the line that's great. If you're sick of being here, go.

Agreed. All of these whinos say they've lost interest. Well, if that were the case, they wouldn't be posting here.

It's as simple as that. Nothing but drama queens... or people with absolutely no lives.

Remember, whinos, if you post here, YOU'RE INTERESTED ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!

So shut up already. The violins and negative bandwagon crap has gotten old.