Kurt Cobain was a Hypocrite

Vincent Vega

He claimed he didn't want fame and success and that part of his Punk ideal was that to have success was to sell out. Yet, then he and Nirvana sign with the biggest, richest Rock label at the time--Geffen. Still, while claiming he doesn't want success, him and his band make videos and they air on MTV--Making him and his band a whole load of money and gaining the attention of millions.Then he seeks out the press and gains attention by attacking the most popular band in the world at that time-- Guns N' Roses--and also criticizes Pearl Jam, whom were hugely successful themselves. He displays his punk ethic by performing one of the biggest Music shows (which was produced by the most popular, most successful music channel, MTV.) Maybe I didn't read it, but I don't think he shunned the loads of money he reaped from the successes of Nevermind, In Utero and Incesticide. While claiming to be against the establishment and the mainstream pop business, he sold himself and his band into it. Fucking hypocrite.

Edited by Mr. Miser

when he first signed to geffen he was just looking for a way to get his cd out. he grew up in a small quiet town and always said that he hated the way it was hard to buy music, saying wallmart was all he had. maybe he was thinking about availability of his music to people who weren't city slickers? thats why he changed the in utero cover, because wallmart refused to stock it and he wanted people in a situation similar to him as a youth to have the choice to get his cd

he regretted signing to geffen( the same label as gnr) afterwards due to all the fame. if he really wanted fame why would he quit music? (yes i believe he was murdered but lets not get innto that again :P ) and as for doing music videos on MTV, the record company obviously had a big imput and influence ;) they'd hardly pay him millions and not try to make money off him. plus i'm sure there was a big demand from nirvanas fans for music, videos and merchendise.

Edited by vicious

i don't think he was a hypocrite nirvana paid thier like x amount of copies of thier 1st cd they were promoting it the record co. made alot of money they were borrowing money to eat and sleep they were basically promting thier own cd and not reaping the benifits also many of his friends couldn't even buy the cd because it wasn't widley distributed so he made sure that wouldn't happen again. also you can never know all the negitives fame brings you way until you are there. axl has spoken about this too. its just very hard for anyone to understand until your there i don't think he could have forseen what nirvana was going to become and all that it would bring him bad or good

Edited by chesire78

He claimed he didn't want fame and success and that part of his Punk ideal was that to have success was to sell out. Yet, then he and Nirvana sign with the biggest, richest Rock label at the time--Geffen. Still, while claiming he doesn't want success, him and his band make videos and they air on MTV--Making him and his band a whole load of money and gaining the attention of millions.Then he seeks out the press and gains attention by attacking the most popular band in the world at that time-- Guns N' Roses--and also criticizes Pearl Jam, whom were hugely successful themselves. He displays his punk ethic by performing one of the biggest Music shows (which was produced by the most popular, most successful music channel, MTV.) Maybe I didn't read it, but I don't think he shunned the loads of money he reaped from the successes of Nevermind, In Utero and Incesticide. While claiming to be against the establishment and the mainstream pop business, he sold himself and his band into it. Fucking hypocrite.

If it makes you feel any better, he blew his brains out 12 years ago! :(

when he first signed to geffen he was just looking for a way to get his cd out. he grew up in a small quiet town and always said that he hated the way it was hard to buy music, saying wallmart was all he had. maybe he was thinking about availability of his music to people who weren't city slickers? thats why he changed the in utero cover, because wallmart refused to stock it and he wanted people in a situation similar to him as a youth to have the choice to get his cd

he regretted signing to geffen( the same label as gnr) afterwards due to all the fame. if he really wanted fame why would he quit music? (yes i believe he was murdered but lets not get innto that again :P ) and as for doing music videos on MTV, the record company obviously had a big imput and influence ;) they'd hardly pay him millions and not try to make money off him. plus i'm sure there was a big demand from nirvanas fans for music, videos and merchendise.

Pearl Jam didnt make more than one video.

My assumption is that Kurt Cobain was a hypocrite and a knob. Sadly he didnt realise that someone else had done what he did like 15 years before, they wre called the Sex Pistols.

Anyone also noticed how all the lead singls off In utero are based on the same paaterns as the lead singles of Nevermind, this proves that his music was also a bunch of unintelligent shite. He had to get Dave Grohl to write half the guitar parts on In Utero anyway.

Kurt Cobain = Overated Hypocrite.

If he was alive today he'd probably be doing duets with U2 and critising the US government. He would be a walking cliche just like he was in the early 90's.

I think hes a hypocrite. I agree with the first poster. If he hated MTV so much, why play MTV unplugged? If he was all about his art, he coulda just been lik that guy from the brianjonestown massacare, whats his name, anton newcombe? He gives his albums away for free, refuses to sign with a mjor label etc. I like a few nirvana songs, but i think they're the most overated band in music history. I hate when theyre mentioned in the same breath as the beatles and how kurt cobain is the modern day john lennon, he couldnt tie john lennons boot laces.

Who cares if he was? I know that the reason I like Nirvana isn't because of any of Kurt's views. The music just plain rocks.

Nirvana were good. :)

No they weren't people just keep saying they were and you believe them!

Who cares if he was? I know that the reason I like Nirvana isn't because of any of Kurt's views. The music just plain rocks.

Haha. No.

I downloaded Smells Like Teen Spirit before I had even heard of Nirvana, and then got Nevermind without anybody telling me how great they are.

Just because someone likes Nirvana doesn't mean that they are just following the crowd :rolleyes:

Just like me saying you like Guns just because people say they are good...

Nirvana were alright, a few good songs but largely boring and dull. i have how ever in the past stated my pure hatred for Kirk Cocaine. Any yes, above all other things he was a glory hog. And he forever got his place in history when he blew his brains out...

Come on, none would deny geting some more money by doing what he loves.

I think Kurt meant that he wouldn't sell his music out and write songs under order.

And they are not overated, their music had a great appeal to many people, you didn't live their era, so you can't judge. And what I can't understand is why so many people in this forum deal with Nirvana.

R.I.P. Kurt

Guest knerken

Just because he said he didn't want fame, he stil wanted to make money from his music like very real musician wants. And the best way to make money from music is to sign with a big record copmany and make videos. He probably did what felt like the right thing to do, and I don't blame him.

RIP

Edited by knerken

Haha. No.

I downloaded Smells Like Teen Spirit before I had even heard of Nirvana, and then got Nevermind without anybody telling me how great they are.

Just because someone likes Nirvana doesn't mean that they are just following the crowd :rolleyes:

Just like me saying you like Guns just because people say they are good...

If you were able to download smells like teen spirit there's a pretty good chance you had heard of Nirivana.

And I agree Kobain is a hypocrite and I hate Nirvana.

I've never liked Nirvana, and I can't understand what is so special about Kurt like krissirgesaid he is the most overrated rock musician in history to me 2

:book:

i can sum it up n 5 words, honesty, passion, artistic integrity, energy.

he's not over rated. there is no such thing as over rated. he had talent and used it to get many fans. most of the haters just wanna be "hardcore" and stand up against what everyone else likes. you can deny it, but 99% of nirvana haters i came across are exactly that!

he's not over rated. there is no such thing as over rated. he had talent and used it to get many fans. most of the haters just wanna be "hardcore" and stand up against what everyone else likes. you can deny it, but 99% of nirvana haters i came across are exactly that!

I'm not a Nirvana hater (I own all of their albums ),but I'm a Kurt Cobain hater,because he managed singlehandedly take the fun out of rock n roll. Brett Michaels,Jani Lane,David Lee Roth - Cobain dosen't hold a candle to either one of them . Heck Kip Winger or Fred Durst we're more rock n roll than him.