GNR changes music again..

Gunzen

I can see it bobbing along modestly.

I really don't see GN'R selling millions upon millions in this day and age. And they certainly won't 'change music'. I'd love it to happen, of course, but eh...I just don't think it will. Axl and the guys are doing nothing new.

And Fridayfan13, if you don't think there are bands out there at the moment that are half as good as Guns you need to get a wider taste of music.

oh please. give me one band that can even come close to the music we have heard the GNR this year.

Stolen Babies, Agalloch, Tool, Opeth, Woods of Ypres, Muse, 65daysofstatic, Iron Maiden, Novembers Doom, Isis, Cult of Luna, Sculptured, The Gathering, Winds, Neurosis, Green Carnation, Frantic Bleep, Explosions in the Sky, Drudkh, The Who, Porcupine Tree, Nevermore, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum...

Need I go on?

Music today is fucking amazing, and all of those bands have either released an album or done a tour.

Anyone who thinks the music scene today is bad, and that GN'R is the peak of music, is very ignorant.

Dude, there is no disputing that there is great music out there. It is just what is popular that is the problem. It sounds great to name bands like Opeth, Muse , November Doom etc, but lets be realistic, hardly anyone could even name a song from them. Most of the bands you named are underground/myspace type bands. They are literally invisible. With the exception of Tool and maybe Muse in Europe. In the US noone knows who they are.

When I say blow up I mean commercially and in the main stream. Nice try, but not one of those bands are enarly as popular as Nickelback or Justin Timberlake etc. That is sad, cause I love Opeth, but it is true. But I dont want to go to myspace to hear good music. Anyway, we will see and thanks for the responses. I feel somewhere in betwen 3-4 is where the band will fall. Probobly closer to 3.

Whilst it's true not many of those bands are hugely mainstream (except for Muse, who are probably the biggest band in the world right now, and Iron Maiden), they're hardly 'invisible'. Most of them are signed to quite big labels (Opeth to Roadrunner, for example) or to other big 'indie' labels (The End Records). None of them are Myspace bands, that's highly unfair. They have great success and respect in the music world.

Don't get me wrong - the mainstream scene is shit. I agree. But Fridayfan13 made it sound like GN'R were THE best band in the world right now bar none, and that's simply not true by any stretch of the imagination. Even though they are my favourite. I was just saying there is great music out there if you look for it. ;)

Edited by Slash's Appetite

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see GN'R selling millions upon millions in this day and age. And they certainly won't 'change music'. I'd love it to happen, of course, but eh...I just don't think it will. Axl and the guys are doing nothing new.

And Fridayfan13, if you don't think there are bands out there at the moment that are half as good as Guns you need to get a wider taste of music.

oh please. give me one band that can even come close to the music we have heard the GNR this year.

That's GNR's sound, who wants to sound like GNR these days? Most bands are busy sounding like themselves.

But there's some great music out there that you guys haven't even listened to because it doesn't have Axl Rose on vocals....

I have heard great music all my life dude, but to me there is more to it than being cool and having a myspace account/page. We all know that there are other great bands out there. But if they were that great, they would be more popular. But alas, they are not, because they are not. Please dont try to name some underground music, cause that shit is good, but it isnt epic like GNR, U2(whom I do not like) and bands of that ilk. If I hear one more person say Sum 41, or Dream Theatre etc. They arent that good.

We will see what GNR has in store. Hopefully it will be a great album with good crirical review.

Stolen Babies, Agalloch, Tool, Opeth, Woods of Ypres, Muse, 65daysofstatic, Iron Maiden, Novembers Doom, Isis, Cult of Luna, Sculptured, The Gathering, Winds, Neurosis, Green Carnation, Frantic Bleep, Explosions in the Sky, Drudkh, The Who, Porcupine Tree, Nevermore, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum...

Need I go on?

Music today is fucking amazing, and all of those bands have either released an album or done a tour.

Anyone who thinks the music scene today is bad, and that GN'R is the peak of music, is very ignorant.

Dude, there is no disputing that there is great music out there. It is just what is popular that is the problem. It sounds great to name bands like Opeth, Muse , November Doom etc, but lets be realistic, hardly anyone could even name a song from them. Most of the bands you named are underground/myspace type bands. They are literally invisible. With the exception of Tool and maybe Muse in Europe. In the US noone knows who they are.

When I say blow up I mean commercially and in the main stream. Nice try, but not one of those bands are enarly as popular as Nickelback or Justin Timberlake etc. That is sad, cause I love Opeth, but it is true. But I dont want to go to myspace to hear good music. Anyway, we will see and thanks for the responses. I feel somewhere in betwen 3-4 is where the band will fall. Probobly closer to 3.

Whilst it's true not many of those bands are hugely mainstream (except for Muse, who are probably the biggest band in the world right now, and Iron Maiden), they're hardly 'invisible'. Most of them are signed to quite big labels (Opeth to Roadrunner, for example) or to other big 'indie' labels (The End Records). None of them are Myspace bands, that's highly unfair. They have great success and respect in the music world.

Don't get me wrong - the mainstream scene is shit. I agree. But Fridayfan13 made it sound like GN'R were THE best band in the world right now bar none, and that's simply not true by any stretch of the imagination. Even though they are my favourite. I was just saying there is great music out there if you look for it. ;)

we agree actually, and I did say most bands. I meant mainstream music. fair enough dude.

I have heard great music all my life dude, but to me there is more to it than being cool and having a myspace account/page. We all know that there are other great bands out there. But if they were that great, they would be more popular. But alas, they are not, because they are not. Please dont try to name some underground music, cause that shit is good, but it isnt epic like GNR, U2(whom I do not like) and bands of that ilk. If I hear one more person say Sum 41, or Dream Theatre etc. They arent that good.

Dude, I don't care if a band is popular or not. I think you'll find that as a whole, rock isn't really all that prominent in the mainstream to begin with. Not since Hip Hop and the teen pop craze of the mid/late 90s. It's hard for rock bands with any integrity to compete with ready-made out-of-the-box hits that these "artists" come out with.

What I do care about, is that the stuff sounds good to me. And in that regard, there's quite a few artists that I play in my stereo more than the new GNR stuff.

Oh my god that would be a hughe list.

it will combine curiosity, love and hate. people will want to hear it, either for curiosity or the fan or someone who hates gnr will hear it. i think commercially speaking CD will be huge. it had its promotional campaign over 10 years and will have so much more next year.

now it will depend so much in what the new songs (songs WE havnt heard yet) will sound like. we know better is a lot different from what we are used to hear, if other NEW songs have that kind of effect on people they will love it. and thats when gnr will be all over the place.

now it depends on Axl where he wants GNR to go... its about having a cake and eating it too. <_<

Edited by Kesseli

GnR was the biggest band since Led Zeppelin, when the were originally around. I believe Axl wants this GnR to be the biggest band since GnR. You are insulting Axl by mentioning his name in association with bands like Opeth, Muse, Tool, or Iron Maiden. Axl was, and is, in another league than all those bands. Axl didn't spend 10 years working on this album to compete with Tool or Nickleback. Axl wants to compete with albums like Led Zeppelin IV, Sticky Fingers, and even Appetite For Destruction. In Axl's mind he's in competition with The Beatles, Stones, Zep, and old GnR.

GnR was the biggest band since Led Zeppelin, when the were originally around. I believe Axl wants this GnR to be the biggest band since GnR. You are insulting Axl by mentioning his name in association with bands like Opeth, Muse, Tool, or Iron Maiden. Axl was, and is, in another league than all those bands. Axl didn't spend 10 years working on this album to compete with Tool or Nickleback. Axl wants to compete with albums like Led Zeppelin IV, Sticky Fingers, and even Appetite For Destruction. In Axl's mind he's in competition with The Beatles, Stones, Zep, and old GnR.

rock3

You are an idiot.

Opeth, Maiden and Tool have been consitently amazing, putting out some absolutely legendary records. Opeth and Maiden are basically metal at its best, and Tool are one of the best progressive rock bands ever.

Axl should be honoured he's still mentioned in the same breath as such amazing bands as that. I'm not entirely sure if he deserves it after over a decade of nothing.

Maybe you'll be able to go to your local music store and purchase a foot guitar. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I think the album is going to be huge, but I doubt it will change music. Guns N' Roses are a Led Zeppelin or Who type band. They're just so much better than everybody else that their style is not really easy to imitate. The reason Rolling Stone cares so much about Axl is because he's a one of a kind. They don't have characters like Axl Rose in modern music. Axl is a Jim Morrison type character, the difference being that Axl lived to be midldle age. Axl is attempting to again elevate himself to his pre-Cobain suicide days of being the biggest rockstar on the planet. I think the only influence he might have though, is to motivate older bands like Metallica and U2 to try and make halfway decent albums again. Axl is going to be like a really pissed off Michael Myers coming back to Haddonfield on Halloween night. 20 Years after Appetite for Destruction appeared, Axl Rose is back, and he appears to be set to dish out a little Chinese Democracy for all of us in 2007.

NICE POST DUDE

PEACE

You are insulting Axl by mentioning his name in association with bands like Opeth, Muse, Tool, or Iron Maiden. Axl was, and is, in another league than all those bands.

GNR perhaps was. Axl alone isn't.

He stil is man, jesus dont even compare them. I like some of those bands mentioned, but please dont even try to put them in the same league as Axl. So I guess they are also in the same league as Paul Mccartney? New Band too. Robert Plant? Give me a fucking break. Dude, I am sorry you have so much angst against Axl for breaking up GNR. You should get over it. You are just a hater and would love to see Axl fail. But he wont.

Edited by Gunzen

You are insulting Axl by mentioning his name in association with bands like Opeth, Muse, Tool, or Iron Maiden. Axl was, and is, in another league than all those bands.

Axl Rose alone is better than all those bands. Better, IRS, Madagascar, The Blues, and TWAT are all better than those bands entire catalogs.

He stil is man, jesus dont even compare them. I like some of those bands mentioned, but please dont even try to put them in the same league as Axl. So I guess they are also in the same league as Paul Mccartney? New Band too. Robert Plant? Give me a fucking break. Dude, I am sorry you have so much angst against Axl for breaking up GNR. You should get over it. You are just a hater and would love to see Axl fail. But he wont.

Oh give me a break. Axl's not in the same league with The Beatles, Stones or Zeppelin...

Axl has AFD to call an all time classic. Those bands have many, many albums that are timeless.

Edited by moreblack

Axl Rose alone is better than all those bands. Better, IRS, Madagascar, The Blues, and TWAT are all better than those bands entire catalogs.

:rofl-lol:

Ignorant fanboy alert.

I don't think I'm an ignorant fanboy. You guys just named mediocre bands to compare the new GnR to. If you had named somebody like Oasis, maybe we could have a conversation.

Ahahaha. It gets worse.

I hate to break it to you, but Oasis are a billion leagues lower than both GN'R and the bands I mentioned. They have the skill of your average pub band and put out music so simple my 5 year old cousin could rival it with some pots and pans.

You clearly don't know what makes good music.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

Oh give me a break. Axl's not in the same league with The Beatles, Stones or Zeppelin...

Axl has AFD to call an all time classic. Those bands have many, many albums that are timeless.

Why are you even here? Seriously. I think Axl Rose and NuGNR and OldGNR are every bit as good as the Rolling Stones. I actually think the stones are overrated. I am not a sheep and think the stones are great just cause I am supposed too. How often do you listen to a stones album? Really? I am on this site bacause what Axl , Slash etc did was in my opinion epic. I was in college when AFD hit and it changed my life as much as music can for a person. (not in a band, lol) So I do put them in that league. If you dont, why even be here? I am not telling you to go, cause I dont give a fuck about your lame posts, but really, why be here. Go to MYRollingStones.com or MyLEDZEP.com. I would have more respect for you that way. By the way, enough with the sig, slash is gone and in a mediocre rock/pop band now.

Hey, call me nuts but that new Justin Timberlake CD has some catchy tunes on there man. Plus you gotta give the guy some props, he single handedly brought Sexy back! :P

But ya, New Guns isn't going to do much.

Average sales, maybe 1 or 2 rock radio hits with very little impact in the mainstream and then just fizzle out, like every other Hard Rock band in the last decade.

Edited by da_pope

This ain't about me. You're the one overhyping GNR to the hilt to make them seem like they are the top of the all-time rock heap. FYI I listened to a Stones album just this morning. I don't give a fuck about your life story so you could've skipped that in your post.

But you are right. You are not telling me to go, you are not telling me to leave because I disagree with you. You're not gonna tell me to do anything.

I will say when it's enough with the sig. :kiss:

I think it will do just fine. The people that hate - ''omg it iznt g'n''r witoutt zlash'' - still to my discussions, wanna see what this new band holds. So, I think, atleast the curiousity will be there.

And for that my friend is the internet.

You need more then curiousity to sell albums these days seeing how if someone is curious about an album and they don't wanna risk there money on it then they'll just go and get it for free. And no matter how good it is once they have the product for free, they ain't gonna go pay for what they already got.

Hey, call me nuts but that new Justin Timberlake CD has some catchy tunes on there man. Plus you gotta give the guy some props, he single handedly brought Sexy back! :P

But ya, New Guns isn't going to do much.

Average sales, maybe 1 or 2 rock radio hits with very little impact in the mainstream and then just fizzle out, like every other Hard Rock band in the last decade.

Maybe your right, that is why I asked. Justin is a pimp for what he does, just not my style thats all. I wish rock and roll would be more mainstream, and I wish GNR could help that cause. But either way, the shows I saw this year were great, and the new music has been great so far, so, it beats having to go to a fall out boy concert. ;)

Maybe your right, that is why I asked. Justin is a pimp for what he does, just not my style thats all. I wish rock and roll would be more mainstream, and I wish GNR could help that cause. But either way, the shows I saw this year were great, and the new music has been great so far, so, it beats having to go to a fall out boy concert. ;)

Hey man I agree with you and wish Rock was more mainstream aswell.

I wasn't trying to diss new GNR in anyway. It's just that thats the most likely scenerio.

But hey, maybe if Guns do a throw back to there 80's roots they could muster atleast some mainstream success (kinda like VR did with Fall To Pieces). I mean look at Disturbed and there cover of Land Of Confusion. I see that video on Much Music and MTV all the time.

Edited by da_pope

This ain't about me. You're the one overhyping GNR to the hilt to make them seem like they are the top of the all-time rock heap. FYI I listened to a Stones album just this morning. I don't give a fuck about your life story so you could've skipped that in your post.

But you are right. You are not telling me to go, you are not telling me to leave because I disagree with you. You're not gonna tell me to do anything.

I will say when it's enough with the sig. :kiss:

*yawn*

damn your post are boring. I gt like halfway through.... :sleeper:

Look at Metallica's St. Anger album - that had absolutely MASSIVE sales in it's first week of release. After that, they completely tailed off because people had heard all the negative reviews about it. Let's face facts here - nearly everybody interested in rock music has heard of Chinese Democracy, and like St. Anger, which was full of twists and turns in the band of Metallica, the very image of Chinese Democracy on the shelves will sell records.

I expect it to do very well in it's first week of release, based on GNR fans purchases of the album and pure curiosity from those who want to see what Axl has managed to do with a new line-up of the band. After that, it's going to be down to the MUSIC as to whether the CD is successful or not - and we cannot fully judge that until it is finally released.

Look at Metallica's St. Anger album - that had absolutely MASSIVE sales in it's first week of release. After that, they completely tailed off because people had heard all the negative reviews about it. Let's face facts here - nearly everybody interested in rock music has heard of Chinese Democracy, and like St. Anger, which was full of twists and turns in the band of Metallica, the very image of Chinese Democracy on the shelves will sell records.

I expect it to do very well in it's first week of release, based on GNR fans purchases of the album and pure curiosity from those who want to see what Axl has managed to do with a new line-up of the band. After that, it's going to be down to the MUSIC as to whether the CD is successful or not - and we cannot fully judge that until it is finally released.

good analogy, but damn that cd sucked, and I have already heard three or four songs form CD, and thet are ALL better than St Anger or as I like to call it.......

heh.jpg

yeah, I have some free time on my hands, but I was bored while wife was watching tv.