GNR changes music again..

Gunzen

I have put alot of thought into what might happen with the forthcoming album? I dont need any smartass comments like "if it ever comes out", or "maybe with slash at guitar" etc. So Dead Weight or Flower or whatever, save your jabs for another post.

There are a few scenarios I think are possible;

1..it could tank, though that isnt likely, with internet downloads and myspace, media etc, it will make money and recieve notority regardless. So I doubt that.

2..It could get just average sales with some critical acclaim for music. We have all heard some of the music, and while not revolutionary, it seems up to par with even the most edgy rock out there. So this scenario is more likely.

3..It could do very well, a few awards, maybe a grammy, comeback band of the year. 6-7 million sales (thought that would be tough with all the music downloading). Maybe a top five 5 hit? Axl on Howard Stern, Dont know what shows on mtv, cause I dont watch that. But maybe an apperance there. Etc.

4..Or maybe, just maybe, Axl and the guys start ANOTHER musical genre evolution from the vapid state it is in now? Maybe "The Blues" crosses over into markets rock music has not been in for years. Kinda like Beth did for Kiss. Maybe Pittmans/Dizzy's influence and keyboards will differentiate there music from other Rock Bands (we all see it but maybe the masses will.) Maybe the tour with the proper promotion, and an MTV appearance on VMA, Billboard, Grammy's etc. GNR just explodes?

I realize that he last one seems unlikely, if not impossible, but after seing them live, I just feel if they could just get the word out and promote, with the right timing and critical reviews it could concievable catch fire. I mean who else is out there? If there ever was time for another rock n roll revolution it is now. I was there for the first GNR revolution, and I would love for all you fans (even the negative ones) to see another. Lightning can strike twice.

I know I sound like a polyanna and have ben accused of being an Axl lover. What I love is Axl's music, and his showmanship, and the great times he gives me and my friends/family. I would love to see it again.

Again, assuming the album cones out (please no "Thats a big if" type posts) How do you think it will do?

And more importantly, do you think it could blow up? Or do you think by what you have heard/seen it will just be good, not great?

One more thing, Slash, Bucket, Duff, Matt, Adler, and Izzy are gone. They do not figure in this duscussion. I dont want to speculate on if they were there. Just go by what you are seeing, hearing right now, along with lame ass rap/funk/metal fusion metal that is out now.

Lemme know ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This band wont change music, from the sounds of it they are about to merge right up along side it. Either that or the album will tank, those are the only conclusions I can come to from what I have heard. Most likely, CD will be very succesful, but I dont see it making #1 or changeing the music industry as we know it.

Well, I think it'll likely be in between 2 and 3, but 4 is at least possible. They need a couple of really huge singles and the right promotion. That's all it takes. To get to 4 IMO they need some timeless songs on the album as well to propel the record to strong long-term sales and critical acclaim (CITR is the closest song they have to this). It's all possible, Axl is that good and maybe the band is too. Of course it's a lot harder than I'm making it sound.

I don't think they will create a revolution though. You need a band that is younger and more prolific than I think GN'R could be. But they could help to swing the tide.

I know you don't want this to be said but they also have to release the damn thing soon. Axl isn't getting any younger. He still looks cool, the band looks cool, his voice is right, the band is pretty tight. It all ties in to creating mass market success. If this is delayed another year or two or more that could all be lost.

Edited by KBear

Well, I think it'll likely be in between 2 and 3, but 4 is at least possible. They need a couple of really huge singles and the right promotion. That's all it takes. To get to 4 IMO they need some timeless songs on the album as well to propel the record to strong long-term sales and critical acclaim (CITR is the closest song they have to this). It's all possible, Axl is that good and maybe the band is too. Of course it's a lot harder than I'm making it sound.

I don't think they will create a revolution though. You need a band that is younger and more prolific than I think GN'R could be. But they could help to swing the tide.

I know you don't want this to be said but they also have to release the damn thing soon. Axl isn't getting any younger. He still looks cool, the band looks cool, his voice is right, the band is pretty tight. It all ties in to creating mass market success. If this is delayed another year or two or more that could all be lost.

Actually that is a valid point, i was just trying to avoid the "it might not ome out ever" type thing, but you are right, if he waits too long, regardless of how good it is, it wont be as big. I got that. Thanks for the reply.

I think it'll be a good album. But will I ever get to hear it? :no:[

I knew you couldnt resist, damn you are predicatable, as well as unoriginal.

because rock doesn't really need saving

You may be right about GNR not saving rock, but it is in a bad state in my opinion. The other bands out there? Who exactly is filling stadiums? Dont you dare say VR ( which you would) cause they arent even close.

GNR may or may not be the cure, but there is a sickness out there. Rock music is just not inspirational or grand in any way right now. Again just my opinion.

there is not one band out there half as good as Guns. Until there is a real band in the mainstream(in this case, GNR), there will be no good music. thats just the way it is in the music world right now. CD will at least put a end to that. will CD be a revolution, i doubt it. but it will be a breath of fresh air that will spread.

I can see it bobbing along modestly.

I really don't see GN'R selling millions upon millions in this day and age. And they certainly won't 'change music'. I'd love it to happen, of course, but eh...I just don't think it will. Axl and the guys are doing nothing new.

And Fridayfan13, if you don't think there are bands out there at the moment that are half as good as Guns you need to get a wider taste of music.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

Maybe you'll be able to go to your local music store and purchase a foot guitar. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I think the album is going to be huge, but I doubt it will change music. Guns N' Roses are a Led Zeppelin or Who type band. They're just so much better than everybody else that their style is not really easy to imitate. The reason Rolling Stone cares so much about Axl is because he's a one of a kind. They don't have characters like Axl Rose in modern music. Axl is a Jim Morrison type character, the difference being that Axl lived to be midldle age. Axl is attempting to again elevate himself to his pre-Cobain suicide days of being the biggest rockstar on the planet. I think the only influence he might have though, is to motivate older bands like Metallica and U2 to try and make halfway decent albums again. Axl is going to be like a really pissed off Michael Myers coming back to Haddonfield on Halloween night. 20 Years after Appetite for Destruction appeared, Axl Rose is back, and he appears to be set to dish out a little Chinese Democracy for all of us in 2007.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Maybe you'll be able to go to your local music store and purchase a foot guitar. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I think the album is going to be huge, but I doubt it will change music. Guns N' Roses are a Led Zeppelin or Who type band. They're just so much better than everybody else that their style is not really easy to imitate. The reason Rolling Stone cares so much about Axl is because he's a one of a kind. They don't have characters like Axl Rose in modern music. Axl is a Jim Morrison type character, the difference being that Axl lived to be midldle age. Axl is attempting to again elevate himself to his pre-Cobain suicide days of being the biggest rockstar on the planet. I think the only influence he might have though, is to cause older bands like Metallica and U2 to try and make halfway decent albums again. Axl is going to be like a really pissed off Michael Myers coming back to Haddonfield on Halloween night. 20 Years after Appetite for Destruction appeared, Axl Rose is back, and he appears to be set to dish out a little Chinese Democracy for all of us in 2007.

Every once in a while you plesantly surprise me. rock3 Well said. I dont think it will be evolutionary as well, but it could be. And if Nickelback is the most popular band out there right now, they got a shot. rock1

I really don't see GN'R selling millions upon millions in this day and age. And they certainly won't 'change music'. I'd love it to happen, of course, but eh...I just don't think it will. Axl and the guys are doing nothing new.

And Fridayfan13, if you don't think there are bands out there at the moment that are half as good as Guns you need to get a wider taste of music.

oh please. give me one band that can even come close to the music we have heard the GNR this year.

oh please. give me one band that can even come close to the music we have heard the GNR this year.

*crickets chirping*

*crickets chirping*

exactly

i can believe that somebody can actually enjoy the music out there today. my god, what happened to music? every band sounds the same. same vocals. same guitars. same power chords over and over. what happened to someone pouring their heart into lyrics or solos? i am thankful that GNR saved me from becoming a zombie listening to modern rock. i never really listened to music up until a few years ago. i listened to some modern rock, but it wasn't really a part of my life yet. then a friend introduced me to GNR. next thing i know im addicted to classic rock, and even play the guitar. GNR inspired me to look for more in music, and hopefully it will do the same on march 6th.

*crickets chirping*

exactly

i can believe that somebody can actually enjoy the music out there today. my god, what happened to music? every band sounds the same. same vocals. same guitars. same power chords over and over. what happened to someone pouring their heart into lyrics or solos? i am thankful that GNR saved me from becoming a zombie listening to modern rock. i never really listened to music up until a few years ago. i listened to some modern rock, but it wasn't really a part of my life yet. then a friend introduced me to GNR. next thing i know im addicted to classic rock, and even play the guitar. GNR inspired me to look for more in music, and hopefully it will do the same on march 6th.

maybe the reason axl waited so long to release this album is he wanted the musical climate to favor it, and if music ever needed a change, it is now.

Maybe you'll be able to go to your local music store and purchase a foot guitar. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I think the album is going to be huge, but I doubt it will change music. Guns N' Roses are a Led Zeppelin or Who type band. They're just so much better than everybody else that their style is not really easy to imitate. The reason Rolling Stone cares so much about Axl is because he's a one of a kind. They don't have characters like Axl Rose in modern music. Axl is a Jim Morrison type character, the difference being that Axl lived to be midldle age. Axl is attempting to again elevate himself to his pre-Cobain suicide days of being the biggest rockstar on the planet. I think the only influence he might have though, is to cause older bands like Metallica and U2 to try and make halfway decent albums again. Axl is going to be like a really pissed off Michael Myers coming back to Haddonfield on Halloween night. 20 Years after Appetite for Destruction appeared, Axl Rose is back, and he appears to be set to dish out a little Chinese Democracy for all of us in 2007.

Niiiice Halloween reference there, one of my all time favorite movies.

i doubt he will ever come right out and say it, but you just know Axl wants to release the album and be on top of the world again. the ultimate "Fuck You" to everyone that doubted who was the heart of GNR, and that he could create a new version of GNR and be successful. i have no doubt that the album will be great. anyone who hears Better or TWAT will say the same.

the thing that makes me so confident in the albums success is simple: Axl is trying to get it released. if he is showing it off so much to so many people, he must be proud of it.

Stolen Babies, Agalloch, Tool, Opeth, Woods of Ypres, Muse, 65daysofstatic, Iron Maiden, Novembers Doom, Isis, Cult of Luna, Sculptured, The Gathering, Winds, Neurosis, Green Carnation, Frantic Bleep, Explosions in the Sky, Drudkh, The Who, Porcupine Tree, Nevermore, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum...

Need I go on?

Music today is fucking amazing, and all of those bands have either released an album or done a tour.

Anyone who thinks the music scene today is bad, and that GN'R is the peak of music, is very ignorant.

One things for sure the album won't "tank", im sure all the magazines will jump on the Axl bandwagon soon enough (purely for sales ofcourse), couple that with all the hype and with real promotion - people will know about this album (if they don't already). If enough people know about this album - and with good reviews (which it will get -lets face it.) this album could truly be huge.

I hope we get a single - a little taster of things to come for the general public, the sucess and impact of the single will play a big part in album sales from the average joe's. The promotion needs to be like a kick in the ass though, it has to make people sit up and listen - it's got to be loud and proud, something similar to those 2002 promo(s) are what we need!

I have put alot of thought into what might happen with the forthcoming album? I dont need any smartass comments like "if it ever comes out", or "maybe with slash at guitar" etc. So Dead Weight or Flower or whatever, save your jabs for another post.

There are a few scenarios I think are possible;

1..it could tank, though that isnt likely, with internet downloads and myspace, media etc, it will make money and recieve notority regardless. So I doubt that.

2..It could get just average sales with some critical acclaim for music. We have all heard some of the music, and while not revolutionary, it seems up to par with even the most edgy rock out there. So this scenario is more likely.

3..It could do very well, a few awards, maybe a grammy, comeback band of the year. 6-7 million sales (thought that would be tough with all the music downloading). Maybe a top five 5 hit? Axl on Howard Stern, Dont know what shows on mtv, cause I dont watch that. But maybe an apperance there. Etc.

4..Or maybe, just maybe, Axl and the guys start ANOTHER musical genre evolution from the vapid state it is in now? Maybe "The Blues" crosses over into markets rock music has not been in for years. Kinda like Beth did for Kiss. Maybe Pittmans/Dizzy's influence and keyboards will differentiate there music from other Rock Bands (we all see it but maybe the masses will.) Maybe the tour with the proper promotion, and an MTV appearance on VMA, Billboard, Grammy's etc. GNR just explodes?

I realize that he last one seems unlikely, if not impossible, but after seing them live, I just feel if they could just get the word out and promote, with the right timing and critical reviews it could concievable catch fire. I mean who else is out there? If there ever was time for another rock n roll revolution it is now. I was there for the first GNR revolution, and I would love for all you fans (even the negative ones) to see another. Lightning can strike twice.

I know I sound like a polyanna and have ben accused of being an Axl lover. What I love is Axl's music, and his showmanship, and the great times he gives me and my friends/family. I would love to see it again.

Again, assuming the album cones out (please no "Thats a big if" type posts) How do you think it will do?

And more importantly, do you think it could blow up? Or do you think by what you have heard/seen it will just be good, not great?

One more thing, Slash, Bucket, Duff, Matt, Adler, and Izzy are gone. They do not figure in this duscussion. I dont want to speculate on if they were there. Just go by what you are seeing, hearing right now, along with lame ass rap/funk/metal fusion metal that is out now.

Lemme know ;)

if it ever comes out lol

Because of the 12+ year time to create it, it has set itself up for failure, because no album is worth that much time...Not saying it won't be good, but it will come under criticism because they'll pit the music v. the 12 year wait...and likely the 12 year wait will win out.

I think it'll get **1/2 out **** from most media.

That's GNR's sound, who wants to sound like GNR these days? Most bands are busy sounding like themselves.

But there's some great music out there that you guys haven't even listened to because it doesn't have Axl Rose on vocals....

Stolen Babies, Agalloch, Tool, Opeth, Woods of Ypres, Muse, 65daysofstatic, Iron Maiden, Novembers Doom, Isis, Cult of Luna, Sculptured, The Gathering, Winds, Neurosis, Green Carnation, Frantic Bleep, Explosions in the Sky, Drudkh, The Who, Porcupine Tree, Nevermore, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum...

Need I go on?

Music today is fucking amazing, and all of those bands have either released an album or done a tour.

Anyone who thinks the music scene today is bad, and that GN'R is the peak of music, is very ignorant.

Dude, there is no disputing that there is great music out there. It is just what is popular that is the problem. It sounds great to name bands like Opeth, Muse , November Doom etc, but lets be realistic, hardly anyone could even name a song from them. Most of the bands you named are underground/myspace type bands. They are literally invisible. With the exception of Tool and maybe Muse in Europe. In the US noone knows who they are.

When I say blow up I mean commercially and in the main stream. Nice try, but not one of those bands are enarly as popular as Nickelback or Justin Timberlake etc. That is sad, cause I love Opeth, but it is true. But I dont want to go to myspace to hear good music. Anyway, we will see and thanks for the responses. I feel somewhere in betwen 3-4 is where the band will fall. Probobly closer to 3.