What do you need to be a fan?

FunkyMonk

What do you guys think that someone requires to be a 'fan'? To rightfully be able to y that you really 'love' a band?

Most of the time I hate when people say that they really love a band and are a big fan...when in reality they only have a Greatest Hits album. I'm pretty against Greatest Hits albums, so I always dissmiss people as not being a real fan when that's all they've got.

I think at the bare minimum you should have 1 real album to say that you are a fan. Sometimes it's not realistic to have a bands whole discography and live up to crazy hardcore fans expectations...but you need to have a true album for christ sake. Probably 2 albums to be able to say that you love the band.

This might not have made sense but whatever....your thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Agreed. Sometimes i even get pissed when a "fan" got his mouth full of a band but when you talk about the albums they only have a Greatest hits. I for myself got a copy of Appetite from a friend in 1988. It was the first time for me that i hearded a rock band. I letted the album grow on me and after a while i started to search for some more information (press articles,bootlegs,..) about the band. After a while i loved G N' R so much that i started to collect almost anything that has to do with the band (official releases,more bootlegs,more press articles,...). That's how i became a fan and after all these years still am.

To love the music. That's all you need to make you a fan of any band, regardless of how much trivia you know or how many albums you own. :)

Totally - I think it is also stupid to say that someone isn't a fan because they've not seen the group live - which I've seen done before.

It is about the music.

To love the music. That's all you need to make you a fan of any band, regardless of how much trivia you know or how many albums you own. :)

This sums it all. We could as well close the topic now.

All that stuff in the first post is total bullshit.

Well, some people can say they are fans, but it doesn't make it true.

For example, a friend of mine says he is a Sex Pistols fan, but when he heard the lyrics "I am an antichrist, I am an anarchist" on Never Mind The Buzzcocks, he genuinely thought it was I Am The Walrus.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Since nobody else have agreed with you, I'd like to say this is the true words! rock3

I disagree. You self-righteous prick. :fuckyou:

yeah!...what an assclown!....take a hike!

...harsh! :cry:

Oh shuush you guys, none of you can honestly say that you don't get a lil' pissed when someone says they love a band and are a big fan (say Metallica) and you ask them their fave song and they are like 'ummm....enter sandman'. That just about pisses me off more than anything else. I don't care how much they love Enter Sandman, they aren't a Metallica fan. If anything, hopefully a greatest hits album should only be a stepping stone to real albums. I'm sorry, but I just don't think that knowing a few of the radio singles is enough to make a fan. Go right ahead and say you like the band...but a fan is something else.

...harsh! :cry:

Oh shuush you guys, none of you can honestly say that you don't get a lil' pissed when someone says they love a band and are a big fan (say Metallica) and you ask them their fave song and they are like 'ummm....enter sandman'. That just about pisses me off more than anything else. I don't care how much they love Enter Sandman, they aren't a Metallica fan. If anything, hopefully a greatest hits album should only be a stepping stone to real albums. I'm sorry, but I just don't think that knowing a few of the radio singles is enough to make a fan. Go right ahead and say you like the band...but a fan is something else.

Well yeah I get your point but I was talking about real fans rather than people who listen to it just because it's cool.

But you know the "loving music" -part pretty much covers that.. Or if you love the music by all logic you would want to hear more of it ;)

wtfs that about? :unsure:

on topic, what does it take to be a fan? liking the music, all this degrees of fan-dom shit is just pointless and fucking boring. is it necessary, the real fans over HERE and the weekenders over THERE, what is it with this possessive mentality? like you have some kinda stronger affinity to whoever because u buy more shit or attend more gigs than someone else. dont really indicate shit other than you have differing inclinations and guess what? we all do. i remembering hearing people a coupla weeks back goin "oh i hate when i see such n such with a sex pistols t shirt on and they dont even know who the band isssss" yada yada, get a hobby.

Edited by frankwhite

wtfs that about? :unsure:

Just us sorting some little shithead out. :shades:

first be passionate with the music , then knowing everything about the band including their personal lives , having all the albums-dvds , defending them always no matter what , be there for them in good & in bad times & be at least in one concert of them... :heart: