St Anger

FunkyMonk

What's everybodys problem with St Anger? I've always liked it.

I know there are no solos :( which sucks, I know. There should have been a few short angry solos (no need for huge solos like other Metallica songs). But seriously, this album just doesn't let up in raw energy. It's agressive. It rocks. I have always seen it as more of a new beginning for Metallica, which is why it's wrong to compare it to Puppets or anything.

But yeah...it just plain ol rocks.

I know there are no solos :( which sucks, I know. There should have been a few short angry solos (no need for huge solos like other Metallica songs). But seriously, this album just doesn't let up in raw energy. It's agressive. It rocks. I have always seen it as more of a new beginning for Metallica, which is why it's wrong to compare it to Puppets or anything.

It's wrong to compare any Metallica album to Puppets or to any other Metallica album for that matter.

I've liked the album since I first put it in my CD player. It was loud, agressive, and raw. Like you said, it was like a new beginning for Metallica, kinda like wiping the slate clean and starting scratch all over again.

1. It sold out to the times, it sounds like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park in it song structure as in riffs,no solos, and chrous

2. The drumming was horrible

3. Its basically nu-metal

nu metal = crap

4. It worse than Load & Reload combined

About the solos - Kirk said in the SKOM commentary that he DID try out solos for some of the songs, but they didn't fit well. He didn't leave them out simply because Lars made a "rule," like the film sort of implies.

I like St. Anger as well. Unnamed Feeling is the sex. ^_^

All songs sound the same, except for the vocal melody. If I listen just two ot three songs, then it rocks, but it's impossible to listen to the whole album, because everything sounds the same. And there are no solos and Lars' drumming is just horrible. The worst Metallica album by far.

St. Anger has some of the best riffs on a Metallica record. I don't like the album that much, but the riffs are incredibly memorable. I love the feel of the album, but the vocals are shit. Some songs are actually well done though, like Sweet Amber or SKOM.

I think the album is way too long too. When they edited SKOM down to 5 minutes and remixed it, it sounded like a damn fine Metallica song, without a solo. If the rest of St. Anger sounded like that edit, it would be a great record, IMO.

I think the album is way too long too. When they edited SKOM down to 5 minutes and remixed it, it sounded like a damn fine Metallica song, without a solo. If the rest of St. Anger sounded like that edit, it would be a great record, IMO.

I'll agree with that. For songs that have no solos, they do kind of stretch out too long.

1) The lyrics are awful. Awful. Embarrassing, especially because James is usually an alright lyricist.

2) Terrible production.

3) Pro-Tools assisted songs go on forever and sound like they were organized on a computer - There's no structure, just cut and paste verse/chorus stuff.

4) Did I mention the lyrics?

"People shouldn't criticize them because they were trying to revolutionize Metallica with a new era of low standards. You can't compare new sub-standard stuff to the old excellent stuff, even though it's basically the same guys and they should therefore be capable of the same or even better level."

I'm not trying to pick on the topic starter here, but I'm getting pretty sick of people making excuses for people making shitty, half-asses stuff. I realize some albums are going to be better than others, but sometimes it's just ridiculous. And why not compare two albums from the same band? I hear this all the time, too. "You can't compare Appetite to Chinese Democracy!" Why not? It's the same guy singing. "You can't compare UYI to VR!" Why not? It's three of the same guys. I think it's ridiculous that people are always making excuses. If we don't tear these guys apart when they produce something that is shitty... if we don't tell them that they are capable of something better, then they will never deliver anything decent to us again, because they will think that BS is acceptable.

About the solos - Kirk said in the SKOM commentary that he DID try out solos for some of the songs, but they didn't fit well. He didn't leave them out simply because Lars made a "rule," like the film sort of implies.

I like St. Anger as well. Unnamed Feeling is the sex. ^_^

I'll give the album this: Unnamed Feeling is the only song I like on there - And it's actually quite good.

"People shouldn't criticize them because they were trying to revolutionize Metallica with a new era of low standards. You can't compare new sub-standard stuff to the old excellent stuff, even though it's basically the same guys and they should therefore be capable of the same or even better level."

I'm not trying to pick on the topic starter here, but I'm getting pretty sick of people making excuses for people making shitty, half-asses stuff. I realize some albums are going to be better than others, but sometimes it's just ridiculous. And why not compare two albums from the same band? I hear this all the time, too. "You can't compare Appetite to Chinese Democracy!" Why not? It's the same guy singing. "You can't compare UYI to VR!" Why not? It's three of the same guys. I think it's ridiculous that people are always making excuses. If we don't tear these guys apart when they produce something that is shitty... if we don't tell them that they are capable of something better, then they will never deliver anything decent to us again, because they will think that BS is acceptable.

Yeah I agree that if an album is truly shitty people should say it is. I just don't think most people give St Anger an unprejudiced listen. Everyone screams out 'boo St Anger, stupid sellouts they used to be cool' and then everyone just jumps on the bandwagon.

Ha I'm not saying it's a brilliant album, I'm just saying that it's not terrible. This album fucking rocks, I can admit it. Sure, the album has no solos and it definitely should have. But it represented pretty well what Metallica were going through and a lot of the anger and frustration they were having.

It's not music perfection like their other albums. It just rocks.

Shoot me again I ain't dead yet!!

Horrible...James raps...ST. Anger and Sweet Amber are the same song... the lyrics are terrible... and it got billed as a return to the "old school" of Metallica. It's just a steaming pile of metal shit.

I seen them live when they toured after making St. Anger and I thought that the songs sounded a lot better live than on the album.

I think the production was the main problem with St.Anger, as well whatever Lars did to his drums to make them sound so bad.

When it came out, I thought it was ok. I liked the sound, but I remember not really thinking any song stood out. I shelved it pretty quickly though. Then about a year later I threw it in again and really disliked it. I can't describe it, it just does nothing for me. And I do agree with the other guy who said it is by far their worst album. I like parts of Load and I like parts of Re-Load. St.Anger does'nt touch those two in my opinion.

It's wrong to compare any Metallica album to Puppets or to any other Metallica album for that matter.

I've liked the album since I first put it in my CD player. It was loud, agressive, and raw. Like you said, it was like a new beginning for Metallica, kinda like wiping the slate clean and starting scratch all over again.

x2.

The album isn't as bad as people make out.

1. It sold out to the times, it sounds like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park in it song structure as in riffs,no solos, and chrous

2. The drumming was horrible

3. Its basically nu-metal

nu metal = crap

4. It worse than Load & Reload combined

nu metal? not excatly. In most ifg not all nu-metal there is a hip hop fusion as well and Metallica would never put a hip hop thing int o one of their albums except G.H.E.T.T.O Stories where they did a Ja Rule collaboration........