Nevermind vs. Ten vs. The Black Album vs. the UYI

Vincent Vega

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can any body say anything other than UYI

Because UYI is overproduced and only has a handful of good songs. If Appetite was an option in the poll, it would have been my second choice.

the problem the illusion albums is they came out at the wrong time. i bet if they released them in 89' or 90' they would have left a bigger impact.

What, wrong time? They sold 7x Platinum each, I can't really see how it is a commercial failure to produce and release those albums at that time.

And what impact could they make? It was just plain, overproduced rock.

mainstream rock dude. trust me it would have done even better if released earlier.

nevermind by far. i'll leave it up to people with ears to understand why because divinity defies description (and its probably people like me that encourage the kind of cock-rock backlash that denies the essential truth behind my vote, nevermind is where rock n roll HAD to go).

Nevermind is what, in the end, led to the death of Rock N' Roll.

Nevermind is the album that exposed the bloated mess rock and roll had become.

It was stripping down of wankery and it took rock and roll back to its bare bones essentials.

If anything,it set the stage for the next great influx of amazing rock and roll....go ask Duff.

nevermind by far. i'll leave it up to people with ears to understand why because divinity defies description (and its probably people like me that encourage the kind of cock-rock backlash that denies the essential truth behind my vote, nevermind is where rock n roll HAD to go).

It was stripping down of wankery and it took rock and roll back to its bare bones essentials.

If anything,it set the stage for the next great influx of amazing rock and roll....go ask Duff.

It paved the way for Emo.

What, wrong time? They sold 7x Platinum each, I can't really see how it is a commercial failure to produce and release those albums at that time.And what impact could they make? It was just plain, overproduced rock.
mainstream rock dude. trust me it would have done even better if released earlier.
thats why they debuted at the top of the billboard charts number 1 & 2 right? :rolleyes:
Nevermind is the album that exposed the bloated mess rock and roll had become.It was stripping down of wankery and it took rock and roll back to its bare bones essentials.If anything,it set the stage for the next great influx of amazing rock and roll....go ask Duff.
i think you'll find Emo came out of the Hardcore scene, something that predates Nirvana dude. and no, it paved the way for the immediate influx of bands in its time, dont assign it to a genre that went overground like 6 years later.

Well if I was going to throw wild statements like that out...I'd be pointing my finger at Trent Reznor for the planting the emo seed.

I think you need to take a look beyond the Pistols to find the death of rock and roll.

Need a clue?....music videos.Go watch what the kids think is "hot" today.

There's actually a thread in My World discussing what an awesome song Umber-ella-ella-ella is for fuck sakes!

Faux imagery enhanced through marketing videos is what's killing rock and roll.

Take a look around...closely...how many Lindsay Lohan/Christina Aguilera wannabe look-alikes are filling the malls in your city?

Nevermind isn't killing rock and roll....superficial shallow youth culture sold via strategic marketing schemes is.That,and the refusal of today's youth (for the most part) to recognize they are being raped up the butt by a marketing campaign masquerading as music.

No, UYI didn't sound nothing like Warrant, Poison and all that other pussy rock back then. UYI was pure mainstream hard rock, not hair metal.

1.hair metal was going downhill by the time 88' hit. 89 and 90 rap was owning.

2. did i say uyi sounded like hair metal? No

3.trust me i know plenty of people that were around and knew what was going on during that time. UYI was expected to come out in 90. but then something fucked up and it was released in 91'. you think that before grunge hit hair metal was at it's peak but it wasn't. talk to people that were old enough to know what was going on. trust me hair metal was going downhill before grunge hit.

Well if I was going to throw wild statements like that out...I'd be pointing my finger at Trent Reznor for the planting the emo seed.

I think you need to take a look beyond the Pistols to find the death of rock and roll.

There's actually a thread in My World discussing what an awesome song Umber-ella-ella-ella is for fuck sakes!

Take a look around...closely...how many Lindsay Lohan/Christina Aguilera wannabe look-alikes are filling the malls in your city?

Nevermind isn't killing rock and roll....superficial shallow youth culture sold via strategic marketing schemes is.That,and the refusal of today's youth (for the most part) to recognize they are being raped up the butt by a marketing campaign masquerading as music.

come on man, the kids are alright :lol: its the same as it has always been man, people get too hung up on assigning motives and reasons to things, people have been saying rock n roll was/is dying since the early 70s dude.

UYI-I like 24 songs that/those albums. 13 off UYI 1 and 11 off UYI 2

Black-I like 8 songs of that album

Tie between ten and nevermind- I like 6 songs off each!

That's how I pick between my favorite albums, depending on the ratio between the number of songs I like and the number of songs on the album.

Edited by LAMER

No, UYI didn't sound nothing like Warrant, Poison and all that other pussy rock back then. UYI was pure mainstream hard rock, not hair metal.

3.trust me i know plenty of people that were around and knew what was going on during that time. UYI was expected to come out in 90. but then something fucked up and it was released in 91'. you think that before grunge hit hair metal was at it's peak but it wasn't. talk to people that were old enough to know what was going on. trust me hair metal was going downhill before grunge hit.

1. Then please tell me why, in 1989, Skid Row's self-titled debut, Mötley Crüe's Dr. Feelgood (their best selling album), White Lion - Big Game, Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue and more became such big selling albums, if hair metal was going downhill? And why did Poison's "Every Rose has Its Torn" become one of the biggest hits of that year? Why did Warrant enjoy the success from Cherry Pie in '90?

2. No, but that was what was dominating the charts, and in order to be a hard rock band and break through with a follow-up, you had to be a part of the mainstream rock that was going on.

3. The people you are talking about were probably from the same place or state; perhaps hair metal wasn't as popular in that particular state or town, as it was in the rest of the US?

Edited by Lithium

you hit the head of the nail there, great post

1. Then please tell me why, in 1989, Skid Row's self-titled debut, Mötley Crüe's Dr. Feelgood (their best selling album), White Lion - Big Game, Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue and more became such big selling albums, if hair metal was going downhill? And why did Poison's "Every Rose has Its Torn" become one of the biggest hits of that year? Why did Warrant enjoy the success from Cherry Pie in '90?

2. No, but that was what was dominating the charts, and in order to be a hard rock band and break through with a follow-up, you had to be a part of the mainstream rock that was going on.

3. The people you are talking about were probably from the same place or state; perhaps hair metal wasn't as popular in that particular state or town, as it was in the rest of the US?

1. skid row was not exactly hair metal dude. sure there were few bands that were at their peak. but hair metal was weakening while rap was strengthening. if it wasn't for grunge rap would have took over and ended hair metal.

2.Yes i realize that. gnr's uyi albums were kicking ass. but it did not do what axl wanted it to do. and that was out due afd.

3. talk to anyone from that time they will tell you the same thing i told you. sure few hair metal bands were kicking ass. but alot were sucking ass. and it effect on the youth and pop culture started going down as well.

and ten sucks.

:no:

ok, maybe crap is a harsh indictment but...i dunno, i find it lyrically a little too...pretencious?? a dilute version of pretencious maybe, somewhere lower on the pretencious totem pole than out and out pretencious?

Like affected? It's not my favorite by them by a long shot, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

1. Nevermind

2. UYI I

3. Ten

4. UYI II

5. The Black Album

(I refuse to consider the UYI's one record for any purpose)

only really remember Ten well and it just has the most trite lyrics. i've always maintained that the absolute best of rock n roll lyrics only really amount to very cheap third rate attempts at poetry and i've always thought that the best rock lyricists have been the people who have understood that and consequently made fun of songwriting to some degree (a'la Kurt Cobain or John Lennon) and oftentimes (though by no means always) allowed music to take the lead. and rock lyricists that make an effort to write good lyrics more often than not come off REALLY badly, really pretencious and just...stale. example:

Son, she said, have I got a little story for you

What you thought was your daddy was nothin' but a...

While you were sittin' home alone at age thirteen

Your real daddy was dyin', sorry you didn't see him, but I'm glad we talked...

Oh I, oh, I'm still alive

Hey, I, I, oh, I'm still alive

Hey I, oh, I'm still alive

see now that to me is really really REALLY corny , really 3rd rate.

I always considered Ten to have some of the best lyrics I've ever heard, when I discovered Ten I was looking for something new, something with: Great lyrics, great instrumentals, great vocals. And I found all 3 things on that album, when I hear those specific lyrics I think "Fuck, that really happened to that guy", the raw emotion of that song alone is enough to make me appreciate it, but Alive is just a rock masterpiece, with it's infectious chorus, sweeping riffs and rampant solo it seems to me like a very unique and fresh song.