Great Nineties Alternative Artists...

Guest Judas

Exile in Guyville is American indie rock singer-songwriter Liz Phair's debut album. It was released in June 1993 to widespread critical and commercial success, still appearing today in many critics' best-of lists. It is also considered a landmark in alternative rock music. As of July 2010, the album had sold 491,000 copies.

Track Listing:

1. 6'1''

2. Help Me Mary

3. Glory

4. Dance of the Seven Veils

5. Never Said

6. Soap Star Joe

7. Explain It to Me

8. Canary

9. Mesmerizing

10. Fuck and Run

11. Girls! Girls! Girls

12. Divorce Song

13. Shatter

14. Flower

15. Johnny Sunshine

16. Gunshy

17. Stratford-On-Guy

18. Strange Loop

Sonic Youth are fucking fantastic, that run of albums from Confusion is Sex right the way up to like, Dirt/Goo etc, i cant even remember all the names, was fantastic.

Sister is a good one. Not only is the music good, but as a band, they are just on it. I saw Pearl Jam in like, 2002 or something like that. Sonic Youth opened. I'm like damn, these cats have been around for almost twenty years, made some great fucking music, influenced shit loads of bands, and here they are playing opener to one of the bands they influenced over 10 years ago. And they rocked the shit out of it like it was nothing. They were nothing but smiles and thank you's to the crowd when they finished. Just a good damn band.

Where do you stand on REM?

Sonic Youth are fucking fantastic, that run of albums from Confusion is Sex right the way up to like, Dirt/Goo etc, i cant even remember all the names, was fantastic.

Sister is a good one. Not only is the music good, but as a band, they are just on it. I saw Pearl Jam in like, 2002 or something like that. Sonic Youth opened. I'm like damn, these cats have been around for almost twenty years, made some great fucking music, influenced shit loads of bands, and here they are playing opener to one of the bands they influenced over 10 years ago. And they rocked the shit out of it like it was nothing. They were nothing but smiles and thank you's to the crowd when they finished. Just a good damn band.

You know what...Pearl Jam are right up there too. Have they ever made a bad album? Not only that, they're fan friendly, they've released countless b-sides and fan club singles and endless amounts of live albums...their concerts are always epic, their setlists are always changing. Drives me nuts when people only cite Ten.

The early 90's was bad for me. I didn't like any Seattle bands much.

I was glad when the pop era started in like 96 and then late 90's and early 2000's when metal/rock bands like Godsmack and Disturbed and Slipknot and many 80's rock bands began to tour again.

The Seattle music was too depressing for me. I wasn't a teen and didn't relate to that music at all.

REM = IRS Records.

The label also used to produce a show called "The Cutting Edge".

(Wiki) The Stranglers, The Buzzcocks, The Go-Gos, Bel Canto, Belinda Carlisle, Jane Wiedlin, Gary Numan, The English Beat (North America), General Public (North America), Camper Van Beethoven, The Cramps, Wall of Voodoo, Squeeze, The Animals, Wishbone Ash, Marillion (US & Canada only), Henry Badowski, Karel Fialka, Tom Robinson, Murk, Nuclear Assault, Human Switchboard, The Fleshtones, Oingo Boingo, Doctor and the Medics, Suburban Lawns, Over the Rhine, The Alarm, Skafish, John Cale, Renaissance, Sahotas, Caterwaul, Gren, Dread Zeppelin, The Surfing Brides, Show of Hands, Lords of the New Church, Fine Young Cannibals (North America), The Truth, Foxy Shazam, Chrome Molly, Black Sabbath, Let's Active, Concrete Blonde, Sea Stories, hHead and Striking Matches.
Many of these acts were also featured in Urgh! A Music War.
Edited by dalsh327

REM are cool, they're OK, not my a particular favourite but i like an appreciate em. Radio Free Europe is probably my favoritest song of theirs. Can't stand Pearl Jam.

• Like 1

You know what...Pearl Jam are right up there too. Have they ever made a bad album? Not only that, they're fan friendly, they've released countless b-sides and fan club singles and endless amounts of live albums...their concerts are always epic, their setlists are always changing. Drives me nuts when people only cite Ten.

Yeah I can't even listen to Ten anymore. Vs and Vitalogy. Love those. I'm a big fan of Yield too. It's kind of cool how they maintained that big popularity after Ten. After that album they kind of carried themselves like some non-mainstream band. They seriously said fuck it, we aren't going to do tv shows anymore and no more mtv and no more magazines, no more interviews, we are just going to make albums and tour.

Yeah I can't even listen to Ten anymore. Vs and Vitalogy. Love those. I'm a big fan of Yield too. It's kind of cool how they maintained that big popularity after Ten. After that album they kind of carried themselves like some non-mainstream band. They seriously said fuck it, we aren't going to do tv shows anymore and no more mtv and no more magazines, no more interviews, we are just going to make albums and tour.

i have a problem with bands like that. It's like showing up to a party and wilfully not enjoying yourself. It's just a fucking boring attitude quite frankly. I mean i like bands like The Clash and they often chose not to appear on Top of the Pops or whatever but like, no interviews, no magazines etc? Well why the fuck court all that in the first place, why sign to a major record label, why go through all that?

I think if you're an alternative band and you find yourself or rather you choose to plunge into the mainstream whatever then fuckin' do it, do something, make a splash, do some kinda mad stunt, make a statement, whats all this 'i'm not talking to you' bullshit. There's something so...maudlin and boring about it. Nirvana just did interviews and took the piss, I enjoyed that.

You can tell a lot about a band by watching their videos. Watch the video to Jeremy. I rest my case. i can't stand Pearl Jam, I think they were dreadful. The acceptable face of grunge, ugh. Come to that, grunge per se what the acceptable face of alternative music so I guess that kinda dampens my critque a little.

Edited by Len B'stard

Knut Hamsun? Not really in the same league as Dostoyevsky. Not even close.

Dostoyevsky is right there with Shakespeare, he's one of the greatest, if not the greatest novelist ever. I was referring to him because Cowper Powys used to call Prince Mychkin "the noble Jesus Crazy Idiot"...

;)

I agree with you completely, or at least up until the greatest novelist ever bit. I wasn't giving you a comparable, just thought if you liked him you might like Hamsun. I might have to think hard about the 'right there with Shakespeare' bit too. At any rate, semantics, easily one of the best novelists I've ever read. I generally tend to forget in detail what books are about but Dostoevsky stays with you for days, months after.

• 2 weeks later...

Not alternative, surely not rock, some say hip hop but they weren't really that either. Anyway, they were a great band...

"That's the story yall, of a black man, actin like a hooray for tolerance! and gettin stomped by an African"

• Like 2