Clark Gable vs. Humphrey Bogart

Vincent Vega

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Arguably Clark Gable and Humphrey are the most iconic cinematic figures of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Both of them were incredibly popular throughout the three decades and I think when we think of screen idols of the 1930s/1940s, their names are the ones that we associate with the era most. Until his death in late 1960, Gable was considered The King of Hollywood. Bogart was a definitive icon especially in the 40s and 50s playing rogues.

I'd argue that while Bogart got the more memorable films, Gable was the better actor with more range. Bogart didn't have that much range as an actor.

Clark+Gable.jpg

Gable-Bio02.jpg

clark_gable.jpg

MV5BMjAxODg3MTI3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTAzODI1NA@@._V1._SX640_SY798_.jpg

Humphrey-Bogart-9217486-1-402.jpg

humphrey-bogart.jpg?d=600

bogart2.jpg

8070673534_58ee834033.jpg

Edited by Vincent Vega

I'll take 'what the fuck' for 300 Bob.

:lol:

Miser, how many movies of Bogart's and Gable's have you actually seen or is this simply tache vesus no tache?

I own:

Bogie-

Virginia City (he has a supporting role)

High Sierra

The Maltese Falcon

Casablanca

The Big Sleep

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Key Largo

Gable:

Manhattan Melodrama

It Happened One Night

Boom Town

Wife Versus Secretary

China Seas

Band of Angels

Gone with the Wind (w/ Vivien Leigh)

San Francisco

Comrade X (w/ Heddy Lamar)

The Hucksters

Dancing Lady

The King and Four Queens

Soldier of Fortune

Mogambo (w/ Ava Gardner)

Run Silent, Run Deep

Teacher's Pet (w/ Doris Day and Mamie Van Doren)

The Misfits (w/ Marilyn Monroe)

Edited by Vincent Vega

Guest Len B'stard

So really, particularly in the case of Bogie, hardly any. In fact, with Bogie, you've seen a few of the big ones and not really very many at all in general of his films. Can i ask, all these other actors you rate, like Bob Mitchum, Erroll Flynn, all these other actors, have you actually seen any of their films except for like, 4 or 5 of their bigguns? Thinkin' about it, you make a helluva lot of threads about em but you never like, actually talk about the films, just about image things that, with respect, everyones known since they were five.

How the fuck can you talk about Bogies range when you've seen 5 of his movies?

And he didn't look like fuckin' Lurch from the Addams Family by the end like ol' overrated Bogie did. Bogie was great at playing gruff, worn out sort of characters--that's about it. It's kinda like comparing Johnny Depp to Harrison Ford. Both leading men, one's rather dynamic and charming and whatnot, the other's great at his trade but in the big picture is kind of wooden.

Guest Len B'stard

And he didn't look like fuckin' Lurch from the Addams Family by the end like ol' overrated Bogie did. Bogie was great at playing gruff, worn out sort of characters--that's about it. It's kinda like comparing Johnny Depp to Harrison Ford. Both leading men, one's rather dynamic and charming and whatnot, the other's great at his trade but in the big picture is kind of wooden.

You haven't seen hardly none of the films of the actors you talk about, have you? :lol: You're such a fuckin' classic Miser, honestly. What the fuck would possess a person to do that?!?! :lol:

You haven't seen hardly none of the films of the actors you talk about, have you? :lol: You're such a fuckin' classic Miser, honestly. What the fuck would possess a person to do that?!?! :lol:

Of course I have.

DEPP

Gilbert Grape, Public Enemies, Donnie Brasco, Willy Wonka, Blow, Chocolat, Ninth Gate, Sleepy Hollow, From Hell, Pirates of the Carribean, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Finding Neverland

Ford

Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones films, American Graffiti, Apocaylpse Now, Blade Runner, Working Girl, Regarding Henry, Patriot Games, Fugitive, Clear and Present Danger, Air Force One, Six Days and Seven Nights, What Lies Beneath, K19 The Widowmaker, Firewall.

Bogie got the better scripts and overall more memorable movies. But that doesn't mean he himself was necessarily the better actor, just that he picked better scripts. He IMO was a very limited player, one or two note really--Noir gruff Bogie and old tired jaded Bogie. Basically, in every movie, it's like, "Humphrey Bogart Playing....". Gable got the lesser films (but many of his are underrated) in many cases but he also displayed a lot more range and if you've ever read about him he worked at his craft as an actor and didn't just settle. He was no Brando, but he had more range and depth as an actor than Bogart.

Same goes for Depp and Ford. In every Harrison Ford movie I've ever seen, it's basically "Harrison Ford as...." He never blends into a role. He's himself whether he's in a fedora or being The Fugitive. It's not like say, Garry Oldman, who's like a chameleon and slithers into every role. You could argue Harrison did with Indy and Han Solo but after that he just sort of was himself as whoever he was cast as. Depp is no Brando either but he blends into a role much more than Ford ever did. He also is just more charming, more classy, than the rough hewn Ford, who is really awkward as hell in interviews and the like. Bogart was the same, average Joe, rough hewn sort of guy.

Edited by Vincent Vega

I mean Bogart and all these old time actors.

Of course I have. All the movies I listed that I own of Gable and Bogart I watched. Same with the films of Errol Flynn, William Powell, Ronald Colman and some others like Cagney from that era. Now, I don't own any Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart films but I've seen several of both on TV over the years or Netflixed them.

Edited by Vincent Vega

Guest Len B'stard

Christ man, are you really qualified to make the kinda endless topics and posts about em then if thats all you've seen of their shit? Goin on about their range as actors and the sorts of movies they made and their image and all this and you don't even really watch their movies? Christ, there's actors out there i detest that i've seen more than five movies from.

Watch the fuckin' movies then come back and make the threads. It's really funny, there's like, all these fans of these actors and i been up in the Film Thread posting bout the ones i've seen and not-a one person has ever mentioned anything about em or nothing and then sometimes there's all these fans of these guys about.

When you know about something you make it known that you know about it so like, i dunno, seemed funny to me how you always made these threads about these old time actors but hardly ever mentioned anything specific about their shit that ain't obvious just from reading those paragraph long IMDB bios.

Watch the movies man, they really are something :)

Christ man, are you really qualified to make the kinda endless topics and posts about em then if thats all you've seen of their shit? Goin on about their range as actors and the sorts of movies they made and their image and all this and you don't even really watch their movies? Christ, there's actors out there i detest that i've seen more than five movies from.

Watch the fuckin' movies then come back and make the threads. It's really funny, there's like, all these fans of these actors and i been up in the Film Thread posting bout the ones i've seen and not-a one person has ever mentioned anything about em or nothing and then sometimes there's all these fans of these guys about.

When you know about something you make it known that you know about it so like, i dunno, seemed funny to me how you always made these threads about these old time actors but hardly ever mentioned anything specific about their shit that ain't obvious just from reading those paragraph long IMDB bios.

I have watched all the movies I've said I watched, though.

Guest Len B'stard

Im not saying you haven't Miser i'm just saying they ain't really enough for you to make like, all the judgements and statements you do about the shit. You kinda see a couple of then just fill in the blanks about their image and what kinda men they were and what they "represented" and all this stuff.

I mean, you seem to be a huge Clark Gable fan, he appears to be the only one you've really seen a respectable amount of movies from to really be like, pontificating about their shit.

Im not saying you haven't Miser i'm just saying they ain't really enough for you to make like, all the judgements and statements you do about the shit. You kinda see a couple of then just fill in the blanks about their image and what kinda men they were and what they "represented" and all this stuff.

I mean, you seem to be a huge Clark Gable fan, he appears to be the only one you've really seen a respectable amount of movies from to really be like, pontificating about their shit.

I've done my share of reading about both of 'em in terms of their biographies and careers, though, as well.

Guest Len B'stard

I've done my share of reading about both of 'em in terms of their biographies and careers, though, as well.

You just gimme the feeling that you like the image of being a film buff or like to give off the image that you're knowledgable in certain areas without actually really being so.