Is Bumblefoot the greatest guitarist of our time?

Vincent Vega

I mean the guy can play in every genre, he makes amazing albums like Abnormal, he's an awesome singer with lots of range, he can sing in whistle register (99% of males can't), he's an awesome songwriter and he even makes great hot sauces as if he wasn't awesome enough already.

Is Bumblefoot the greatest guitarist alive, or of our time?

When has he sang in whistle register?

@ 5:20 & 5:35

Just let your inner dolphin come out

:lol:

I wish Bumble would get fat again. He was awesome when he was fat.

Bumblefoot is a great technical players out there. I loved his Nightrain Solo at Rock Am Ring. I love the Album Normal, because it makes me laugh my ass off.

Is he a good guy to cary on the GNR Feel. Absolutely F'n Not. Referance: Shacklers Revenge / Riad Solos. Good Guy to cover Slash. Absolutely Not. Referance: 14 Years / Estranged Solo.

When he does cover Slash note for note, it lacks feeling, it's almost like he's board as shit playing the solos and spaces off in Storm Trooper Land. Hate what he did on Catcher. Does not belong in GNR.

Edited by jimb0

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically gifted, very talented but legendary? No,not yet...a good G3'r fit, and in the same league as say, Petrucchi but he hasn't achieved that chutzpah of "legendary" quite yet imo. Not dissing or taking any of his achievements away, Nice guy, but not legendary. Nothing against him, simply being objective and considering all things :shrugs:

not sure, but miser is probaly the greatest poster of our time, at least in mygnr forum. he can make 10000000000000 threads per day.

I wouldn't call someone who is admittedly technically a good writer and able to fill his posts with thousands of letters, the greatest poster of our lives until he actually writes something that people are interested in reading and not just annoying crap and self-absorbed wanking.

lmao, you think i praised that shitty poster?

not sure, but miser is probaly the greatest poster of our time, at least in mygnr forum. he can make 10000000000000 threads per day.

I wouldn't call someone who is admittedly technically a good writer and able to fill his posts with thousands of letters, the greatest poster of our lives until he actually writes something that people are interested in reading and not just annoying crap and self-absorbed wanking.

lmao, you think i praised that shitty poster?

No, you were being sarcastic. Did you get what I did?

When he does cover Slash note for note, it lacks feeling

No. When he does cover Slash note for note it sounds exactly like him except the tone.

Fat Ron kicked ass. He needs to eat with Axl more often.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like fat Bumblefoot was really happy and enjoying himself in that video. I don't see him like that now. Could be the meds?

The reason could be Guns N' Roses. Maybe meds but I don't know if he's taking them anymore, most likely not.

When he does cover Slash note for note, it lacks feeling

No. When he does cover Slash note for note it sounds exactly like him except the tone.

Bumblefoots bends do not sound exactly like Slash, neither do his hammer ons or pull offs. Am I arguing semitones, yes I am. Bumblefoot is way too clean a player to sound like Slash.

Edited by jimb0

Fortus is a better fit for the band than him, anyway. And Satriani or Vai could kick his ass in terms of boyh feeling and technical proficiency.

What's boyh mean?
All right, you should have read "both". That's what people call a typo.

Fortus is a better fit for the band than him, anyway. And Satriani or Vai could kick his ass in terms of boyh feeling and technical proficiency.

What's boyh mean?

OK. Typo it is then. Do you have proof of your statement? Or are you stating your opinion as fact?

What's boyh mean?

OK. Typo it is then. Do you have proof of your statement? Or are you stating your opinion as fact?
Well the thread title itself and the first post are putting an opinion as a fact.

Jimb0, yes, could be. He can sound exactly like Slash sounds when playing very clean or in studio. Case in point: the first runs of the November Rain outro solo.

Satriani or Vai could kick his ass in terms of technical proficiency.

Alright. A professional transcriber said that transcribing players like Vai or Satriani isn't hard, but a player like Ron is the hardest because he has no idea where he is coming from. Not only Ron can play cleaner (his fretting hand is very trained due to several years of fretless playing) and much crazier (meaning harder technically) stuff at a much faster tempo. Vai struggles to get past the 12 nps mark while Ron can reach up to 16 nps, alt picking. Speed is relevant when discussing technical skills, that's why I am pointing this out.

I don't like to argue like some people said. I just point out inaccurate stuff.

Jimb0, yes, could be. He can sound exactly like Slash sounds when playing very clean or in studio. Case in point: the first runs of the November Rain outro solo.

I listened to early 2006 versions of NR earlier today and Bumblefoot didn't really get the Slash tone and sound back then. He is much better now. Almost indistinguishably from Slash. Being able to play music like other does is really a great sign of talent and skill.

No.

and Miser, you clearly stated in the past that you don't like bbf, so this is a cupcake thread

Miser? :lol:

Where did I say that i don't like Bumblefoot? I do like him - I just don't think that he is (one of) the best guitarist. Imo, he's average and in the current GN'R lineup is Fortus way better. But hey, that's just my opinion.

not you, i mean the OP

I listened to early 2006 versions of NR earlier today and Bumblefoot didn't really get the Slash tone and sound back then. He is much better now. Almost indistinguishably from Slash. Being able to play music like other does is really a great sign of talent and skill.
Yes, he used waaaay more bending back then, especially at the european tour. Since 2009 he's doing it closer to the original.

Listen to the RIR lisbon recording - he's bending his ass off, lol. Then listen to rock am ring - he's still bending a lot, but he is doing less of it. Then listen to the Inland Invasion recording - he's way closer to the original solo, but still doing crazy runs.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

Recomended songs from his album Abnormal, from 2008;

Abnormal, Glad to Be Here, Jenny B, Conspiracy, Guitars Still Suck, Spaghetti, Misery, Redeye, The Day After, Dash

To me this proves he´s an amazing songwriter and an amazing guitar player.

amazing songwirter? glad to be here? :rofl-lol: not to mention the others...

nope he just mediocre

but i admit he is a great technically gifted guitar player

This. Amazing guitarist and very nice guy though.

Guest cbgnr666

Super guitarist,glad he's in the band.He does seem too have "this is so easy"look when he's playing,especially the old Slash solo spots.

Edited by cbgnr666

BBF actually is on par if not superior to Vai and Satriani in terms of technical prowess and speed. Not in terms of playing with emotion though.