We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

I am not much of a gamer but that definitely sounds like something I would be interested in playing. Is it on the PC?

You seem to know your county cricket so I reckon you'd probably enjoy it. It is on the PC, have alook at the Childish things website: http://www.childishthings.com/downloads.php

The game hasnt changed very much since the series began, so I bought the 2010 version knowing that I was not going to miss out on much in the way of new functionality, only up to date squads which I am not all that fussed about

Sounds a bit like England right now - well, sort of. We have always been cack at the limited overs format.

Durham in the 50 over final. This season could turn out to be excellent after all, not as good as last year granted, but you cannot complain about a trophy. Granted, Durham have to avoid relegation in the cc also (they will probably just do it because of Lancs's recent defeat and Durham's game in hand).

Sounds a bit like England right now - well, sort of. We have always been cack at the limited overs format.

Durham in the 50 over final. This season could turn out to be excellent after all, not as good as last year granted, but you cannot complain about a trophy. Granted, Durham have to avoid relegation in the cc also (they will probably just do it because of Lancs's recent defeat and Durham's game in hand).

Don't complain, your season is still going better than Northants who are bottom of Div1 and havent won a single county game this year, after winning promotion and the T20 last year it's a bit of a come down!

Don't complain, your season is still going better than Northants who are bottom of Div1 and havent won a single county game this year, after winning promotion and the T20 last year it's a bit of a come down!

According to my diary, we play you next week. I might try to go.

I finished my county season unbeaten with 8 wins and 8 draws, enough for me to finish top of div2 and get promoted. I had one match against Gloucs where 21 wickets fell on the first day! :o

Despite losing at home to the Netherlands (embarrassing!) I somehow managed to sneak into the semis of the one day cup, won the semi with ease but got thoroughly out classed in the final.

T20 was a bit of a disaster, but I have signed Chris Gayle and Mohamed Asif as my T20 players for next year so hopefully will see a bit of improvement.

Northants stink. What is going on with your club? Chris Rushworth took 15 wickets in two sessions, 9 in the first innings, Stokes robbing him of a 10th. Durham effectively defeated you in two days as the first day was a wash out. And Durham have not exactly been inspiring this season themselves. Fuck me - 15 wickets.

Northants stink. What is going on with your club? Chris Rushworth took 15 wickets in two sessions, 9 in the first innings, Stokes robbing him of a 10th. Durham effectively defeated you in two days as the first day was a wash out. And Durham have not exactly been inspiring this season themselves. Fuck me - 15 wickets.

I know, it has been such a disappointment this season but the writing was on the wall before the season even started. Key players from last years promotion campaign ruled out with injuries, nobody brought in to cover them, 3 deals for overseas players falling through, it was utter chaos. A lot of rebuilding work now required to prevent us from suffering similar humiliations in the second division next year.

Durham won the new one dayer cup.

winners.jpg

Congrats, season not a total disaster then? :)

In the CC Durham were ham strung by too many early season draws. We had too many injuries (Stokes and the locker incident; Onions; Borthwick struggling back with the ball) so Rushworth and the Aussie overseas signing, Hastings (who has now fucked off to play T20 somewhere) were the only balling attack. We were relying on the part timers to give Chris a break - Colly, Stoneman and Jennings who are the opening batsmen! Didn't help that England grabbed Stokes also. Still, there are no excuses for the way Warwickshire skittled us at home; at that point Durham could have still put up a challenge to Yorkshire. We could still finish second and have avoided relegation so it has not been a bad campaign.

Sadly I missed the Northants game, Rushworth's 15 wicket haul. I did not get to see any of this 50 over competition either. I am a traditionalist in liking my Cricket in the whites but I would have liked to have made the trip down to St John's Wood. It sounded like a good atmosphere.

Yorkshire are such an impressive unit under Jason Gillespie. They deserved to win the CC. Lyth and Lees opening,

• 1 month later...

I have been meaning to read that book - Tony Grieg's classic ''I'm going to make them grovel'', what a wanker. Have you seen this film on DVD, (they are getting really stingy on posting pictures so I will just provide the amazon link),

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Babylon-DVD-Viv-Richards/dp/B00NTY461S/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1414758673&sr=1-2&keywords=fire+in+babylon

I would rank it up there with When We Were Kings, as sporting documentaries go.

Edited by DieselDaisy

yup, as I read it I am finding it very hard to feel much sympathy at all for Greig. Apart from pissing the West Indians off with that comment, he had a strange policy when it came to selection, which was based more on picking batsmen who were difficult to get out rather than who scored more runs. Also his tactics in the field were overly defensive, particularly on the first day of the first test when he had only two slips in and allowed Richards to get his eye in and put on a big score which essentially took that game away from them. His words (and his own style of batting) were very aggressive but he didnt seem to back that up in his captaincy?

I have not seen that documentary, I will have to add that to my list. I wonder if it is available on Netflix?

I think Len might be interested in the above by the way, as you do not need to like cricket to enjoy it. It explores the cultural thing, slavery and humiliating the ex slave masters, unifying a bunch of islands which are fairly disparate - even antagonistic to each other - at most times, except, in the world of cricket. And, it has a great reggae soundtrack and explores the relationship between Caribbean culture and cricket. It seems like something Len might enjoy.

PS

It has a cool looking poster.

Fire_in_Babylon.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy

Been reading about that documentary since Dies' bought it to my attention, I've heard of most of these players from my Dad, Garfield Sobers (although i always thought it was Gary), Clive Lloyd, Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding, Jeff Thompson, Colin Croft, Malcolm Marshall...and of course Viv Richards who everyones heard of.

Probably the greatest era of cricket really, the '70s, early '80s, especially when you consider the fact that Botham arrived in the mid '70s for England and you had Imran Khan and Sunil Gavascar - it was the greatest age of the ''all rounder'', certainly. The Aussies also had Border and the Chappell brothers - it was not all just, Lillee-Thomo smashing everyone to pieces. This was the 'Indian Summer' (no pun intended) of English country cricket, Viv and Botham at Somerset, Holding Derbyshire etc. Big names, big characters.

The West Indian team from, circa 1976 to 1995 had a period of dominance, the like which is unseen in any sport, ever in fact. I think, from about 1980 to 1995 they were unbeaten in a test series which is an astonishing record. Perhaps Marciano's unbeaten record in boxing is analogous?

Test cricket has a see saw momentum so you are either declining or improving. Great teams peak, decline and/or retire and then rebuild - and the process starts again. Occasionally, as with Australia circa 2007 you have too many players retire at once so the team collapses; often though, as with England right now, the process is more fluid with new players amalgamating with old hands. I do not think it is too different from other sports. Didn't Wenger break apart his 'Invincible' too fast (at least this is the verdict of many Gooners)? It is the opposite of that why I am quite optimistic about England because we have older players like Cook, Bell, Anderson and Broad, with new faces emerging like Stokes, Woakes and Ballance. We are in a better position than Australia were when Warne, McGrath, Langer etc. retired.