We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Yeah, my cousins get up for that, mental fuckers. Then again whys that weirder than me staying up for boxing? Whats the deal with England, i thought we were good now? Oh well, back to the days of Atherton i suppose :lol: I might be completely wrong but he figured heavily in the days when England used to get kickings in cricket, didn't he?

We were good, 2008-13 - one of the best cricket teams ever. Since then, since we were whitewashed down under in the 2013-14 Ashes, were went wank! There were a few retirements and new players coming in. It was like what happened to the Gooners. At test level, we did beat India in the summer. We are starting to put things right at that level. Thing is, at limited overs cricket we have always been a bit crappy.

Excellent run chase by Ireland (v W. Indies). They chased 300+ and achieved it with a bit of style, with four overs and four wickets in hand. Just goes to show how limp England were the other night.

Astounding that the ICC keep finding excuses not to promote Ireland to Test status

Excellent run chase by Ireland (v W. Indies). They chased 300+ and achieved it with a bit of style, with four overs and four wickets in hand. Just goes to show how limp England were the other night.

Astounding that the ICC keep finding excuses not to promote Ireland to Test status

I think they probably should. The thing is though, the test schedule is already congested. I would personally like to see some kind of two divisional structure in place, whereby the top ranked teams compete against each other, and the bottom teams compete each other; there would be a relegation/divisional structure, as the lowest ranked top tier team drops out and is replaced by the top ranked lower tier team. This would mean, you would not get lopsided series such as Bangladesh verses Australia. It would mean the top teams playing against each other for numero uno but it would also mean the smaller teams competing on something like a level playing field. It would also leave a bit of room for your Irelands, your Afghanastans - perhaps your Dutch and Scottish in time.

Currently, with the current test rankings in mind, such a system would look like this,

Division One

1/ South Africa

2/ Australia

3/ England

4/ Pakistan

5/ New Zealand

Division Two

1/ Sri Lanka

2/ India

3/ West Indies

4/ Bangladesh

5/ Zimbabwe

If the test playing countries are wanting to expand - and surely that should be the overriding aim - we will need such a system.

Test cricket has needed a global calendar for quite some time now, a two tier system would have some problems but I agree it could work quite well if planned properly, and would allow more teams (Ireland and Afghanistan in the immediate term, but eventually others) to be given test status

I can't see India accepting being placed in a second division. They are cricket mad there, I doubt they would ever sign off on it, IMO.

Having said that, I think a two tiered system would work. Is the Test championship still going, or did that idea never eventuate.

I think it was discussed but didn't get past the discussions, I think the main sticking point was agreeing a sensible way for every team to play each other every few years without completely messing up the calendar

I can't see India accepting being placed in a second division. They are cricket mad there, I doubt they would ever sign off on it, IMO.

Having said that, I think a two tiered system would work. Is the Test championship still going, or did that idea never eventuate.

Their current ranking is 7th though. That is based on performance. I have not just arbitrarily shoved poor India there haha.

If you are going to extend test status to teams like Ireland you are going to have to have some sort of hierarchy, preference of play. If not the above divisional structure, then some sort of seeded ranking, like in boxing where the top contenders fight the champion. Something has to change as the calender is already too congested, and with the exception of obvious money spinners like the Ashes, currently teams play each other once every five or six years!

I watched highlights of that and, honest to god, it was the most one-sided example of cricket I have ever seen. It is impossible to conceive of a more one sided game of cricket. One team were sublime: one team were excrement.

Of course, records have been broken, e.g. fasted half-century in an one day game.

It was a comical mismatch.

Edited by DieselDaisy