We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

It is essentially, Prior/Broad/Swann who he had a problem with. Prior is the 'big cheese' and the other two are the ''little cheeses'. KP truly loathes Matt Prior. There is this funny caption next to a photo where he calls him a 'prat' for decking himself up in the full Team Sky cycling regalia. And Broad was involved in the fake tweeter account which was active around text gate. Text gate destroyed his relationship with Strauss. Strauss was not really a member of the bowling triumvirate but he was tight with Flower and Pietersen hated Moores and Flower.

He seemed to have some allies in the dressing room - and out. Vaughan is still something of a Pietersen fan; Flintoff was defending him just the other day on the radio. He has a lot of good things to say about Duncan Fletcher. He seems to have gotten on well with Bell and wanted him over Prior for the vice captaincy. Cook was 'weak' but admirable. He would look at his shoes during ECB meetings. He basically hates confrontation. Anderson sort of went along with the bowlers group but just because he was an 'introvert'.

It is all hilarious soap opera stuff. Whoever said cricket is boring haha?

Anderson and Cook get on well, can't remember which was round it is but one whispers jokes and the other is brave enough to say it out loud. I thought it was Cook that said them, but that goes against the shy character KP has suggested.

Might have to re-read that bit of book.

We play your lot in the T20 this evening Diesel, I was not aware that Afridi is our overseas player for the first 6 games

I have a ticket with my membership and wouldn't have minded going but had to pass - I tend to focus on the county games and I was at the Notts game. Might try and see a few of the T20s just to see what all the fuss is about; they are attempting a real re-branding and trying to get kids in with bouncy castles and stuff.

PS

Speaking of T20, have a read of this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32745399

This is a good point.

Take Lancashire, for example. The Red Rose county draws support from Manchester and Liverpool, no doubt including fans of both Manchester United and Liverpool football clubs. What would be the impact of changing the Lancashire T20 team to Manchester Magic?

A city based franchise would just be odd for those used to the county system.

Also, a lot of cricket venues are in odd places like Headingly, Edgebaston and Chester-Le-Street.

Any Australian opinions there, fans of Sheffield Shield cricket?

Edited by DieselDaisy

Only an organisation as malfunctioning as the ECB would turn the 'biggest prat in cricket' into a sympathetic martyr type figure haha. They have bungled the entire thing.

PS

Why did they, Strauss included have to have had this big meeting, stating ''you will never be in England ever ever ever''? Players, obvious players, are always not included in the squad for no apparent reason; squad selection is one of the oldest controversies in sport - not just cricket. Granted there would have always been a controversy so long as Pietersen plays well and England bat like morons, but they could have just let sleeping dogs lie rather than make this big massive issue over the thing. And it gives you a bit of leeway just in case you change your mind.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Only an organisation as malfunctioning as the ECB would turn the 'biggest prat in cricket' into a sympathetic martyr type figure haha. They have bungled the entire thing.

PS

Why did they, Strauss included have to have had this big meeting, stating ''you will never be in England ever ever ever''? Players, obvious players, are always not included in the squad for no apparent reason; squad selection is one of the oldest controversies in sport - not just cricket. Granted there would have always been a controversy so long as Pietersen plays well and England bat like morons, but they could have just let sleeping dogs lie rather than make this big massive issue over the thing. And it gives you a bit of leeway just in case you change your mind.

If Clarkson can be a sympathetic martyr so can KP!

If England under perform against the antipodes and KP performs well for Surrey, the ECB are going to have a lot of egg on their face.

I actually think the book was very important, in determining Strauss's decision; let's face it, he completely crucifies the whole Strauss era. In all honesty, I do not see how Pietersen could ever work with Strauss having released that book. But then his allies are increasing: Bell actually broke ranks and said he should play and Simon Jones was defending him on talkSport.

If England under perform against the antipodes and KP performs well for Surrey, the ECB are going to have a lot of egg on their face.

I actually think the book was very important, in determining Strauss's decision; let's face it, he completely crucifies the whole Strauss era. In all honesty, I do not see how Pietersen could ever work with Strauss having released that book. But then his allies are increasing: Bell actually broke ranks and said he should play and Simon Jones was defending him on talkSport.

What a player Simon Jones was, pity that injuries hampered his career he had the potential to be one of the all time great England bowlers

County cricket now on Radio 5 live extra. (I am meant to be studying Japanese but I am listening to that and farting around talking with you). If you wait until Thursday, England begin playing New Zealand in the first of two tests. And then we go straight into the Ashes! There is IPL on right now also if that is your bag.

Curse Sky for taking IPL away from ITV :(

IPL made a stupid decision selling to Sky, just as the ECB made a stupid decision removing test cricket from terrestrial television after the 2005 Ashes triumph. Regular cricket featuring the big stars on free to air television: there is a huge market there and a huge boost for the sport if they adopt a longer term view over, instant pecuniary gain. You only have to mention boxing to see a warning there of what happens when a sport completely disappears from people's homes.

Sky are now a hideous monopoly who aim to grab ever sport for themselves. It is that simple. I have no compunction about streaming them for free. Total wankers.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Jason Gillespie will hold talks with England director Andrew Strauss in the next 24 hours over the vacant head coach's position.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32817359

How embarrassing, an Australian managing England!

is that any worse than a Zimbabwean or a Saffer? I don't care where he comes from if he can sort this lot out he has my support

What's the lineup for the 1st test? I see NZ have put us in

Yes but you know that the travelling Aussies will come up with some songs about that to sing to the Barmy Army, about running 'your' team etc.

Adam Lyth is at the crease now.

PS

Oh, forget I said that!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Stokes is gone.

I once watched some poor kid try and get Ben to sign a Durham shirt when he came out the pavilion. Ben said, ''aye, i'll sign it later. Got to do some fielding practice and I will sign it when we go out to field'' or some other bollocks and basically stays on the field for the duration, never going near the gate again for the whole of the innings. The poor kid drapes his shirt on this bin thing near the gate in expectation that Ben will return and gets increasingly crestfallen.

Stokes is gone.

I once watched some poor kid try and get Ben to sign a Durham shirt when he came out the pavilion. Ben said, ''aye, i'll sign it later. Got to do some fielding practice and I will sign it when we go out to field'' or some other bollocks and basically stays on the field for the duration, never going near the gate again for the whole of the innings. The poor kid drapes his shirt on this bin thing near the gate in expectation that Ben will return and gets increasingly crestfallen.

Bit of a shitty thing to do, also bit of a silly way to get out, leaving a ball that went on to hit off