We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Stokes is gone.

I once watched some poor kid try and get Ben to sign a Durham shirt when he came out the pavilion. Ben said, ''aye, i'll sign it later. Got to do some fielding practice and I will sign it when we go out to field'' or some other bollocks and basically stays on the field for the duration, never going near the gate again for the whole of the innings. The poor kid drapes his shirt on this bin thing near the gate in expectation that Ben will return and gets increasingly crestfallen.

My brothers mate threatened to spark Wasim Akram out once for refusing to sign an autograph for em once :lol:

Cricketers are weirdly, antagonistic to autographs. Botham relates one of the worst stories in his autobiography, when he was a kid and he was trying to get an autograph from his hero at Somerset - who is nameless but I do not believe it is that hard to work out - only to be told to 'fuck off'. His dad said, ''come on son, you do not want an autograph from a man like that''.

Cricketers are weirdly, antagonistic to autographs. Botham relates one of the worst stories in his autobiography, when he was a kid and he was trying to get an autograph from his hero at Somerset - who is nameless but I do not believe it is that hard to work out - only to be told to 'fuck off'. His dad said, ''come on son, you do not want an autograph from a man like that''.

With my brothers mates they went all together to go see em or something and they caught him, asked for an autograph and he was just like... he said it in our language but it translates to 'get out of the way!' but this lads a bit of a hot-head and he was like you fuckin' what?!? etc, squaring up to him and his mates and another player got in between and he was like no, fuck this guy, we stay up all nights watching these fuckers, supporting them, travel miles and miles to go see em, if he don't wanna give an autograph he don't have to but don't be fuckin' rude, who do you think you're talking to, y'know what actually, fuck your fuckin' autograph, i don't want one off you and say another world I'll flatten you!'. I think Basit Ali (don't quote me on that, I'm terrible with cricket) was among the peacemakers but it nearly got messy.

Why are they like that then? And whoose the Somerset fella, it ain't obvious to me!

Thats why I'd never ask for no ones autograph. I don't even wanna meet em, none of em, no matter how much i rate em seeing em on the telly, i ain't on nobodys dick to go shuffling up to some stranger goin 'kun ahh huv ur orta-gruff pleeeetthh' like a fuckin' window licker, you're just putting yourself out there to get mugged off by some twat, fuck em.

Edited by Len B'stard

With my brothers mates they went all together to go see em or something and they caught him, asked for an autograph and he was just like... he said it in our language but it translates to 'get out of the way!' but this lads a bit of a hot-head and he was like you fuckin' what?!? etc, squaring up to him and his mates and another player got in between and he was like no, fuck this guy, we stay up all nights watching these fuckers, supporting them, travel miles and miles to go see em, if he don't wanna give an autograph he don't have to but don't be fuckin' rude, who do you think you're talking to, y'know what actually, fuck your fuckin' autograph, i don't want one off you and say another world I'll flatten you!'. I think Basit Ali (don't quote me on that, I'm terrible with cricket) was among the peacemakers but it nearly got messy.

Why are they like that then? And whoose the Somerset fella, it ain't obvious to me!

Thats why I'd never ask for no ones autograph. I don't even wanna meet em, none of em, no matter how much i rate em seeing em on the telly, i ain't on nobodys dick to go shuffling up to some stranger goin 'kun ahh huv ur orta-gruff pleeeetthh' like a fuckin' window licker, you're just putting yourself out there to get mugged off by some twat, fuck em.

I will work it out. I never bothered to try but he is fairly detailed in his description and it shouldn't be hard to pull up the old Somerset team and work it out.

I have Collingwood's and a few others. I got snubbed by Graham Onions and have never asked for one since, for the reasons you stated. Colly is a nice chap. He is not somebody who would snub you.

But I am not even bothered about sitting near the pavilion now. Those are the most popular seats because the cricketers pass right by you and you hear what they say, etc. I found out that the temporary seating on the opposite side of the ground, which has the cheapest seats during England tests, the ones they flog to the Barmy Army, is actually closer to the wicket! It is pure chance because I was following the sun. How do you judge a seat? I would personally judge the best as being closer to the wicket. So I sit there most of the time.

PS

What a great recovery by the middle. It is hard to believe that England could make 400 plus now, going from a position of 30 for 4. Test cricket is bloody brilliant, isn't it?

Edited by DieselDaisy

400?!?! Once u said they were getting done i didnt bother listening!

I didn't know the middle order was going perform so well and you seemed to be busy. Watch the highlights when they appear,

http://www.channel5.com/shows/cricket-on-5/episodes/eng-vs-nz-1st-investec-lords-day-1

And tune in tomorrow. NZ will want to restrict England to around 380. England will hope to make 400 plus.

Friend of mine got snubbed by Ponting at a warm up game at Northants a couple of years back :)

I reckon England can make it to 400 if they bat sensibly and dont lose an early wicket, if NZ get one early they could knock the tail over pretty quickly