Tidal: Jay-Z buys streaming service, makes it arist owned

J Dog

How badly has Tidal bombed? So badly that apparently Kanye West no longer wants anything to do with it. Digital Spy notices that West has not only changed the logo on his Twitter feed from the Tidal logo to the artwork on one of his old albums, but he’s also deleted any tweets that mentioned the service.

https://bgr.com/2015/04/22/kanye-west-tidal-tweets-deleted/

• Like 2

Well, found this article. It says that Beyonce and Jay Z are doing an album together and making it exclusive to Tidal. If something like this is done and it's a good album, in the end, I guess it could be the start of making this whole thing worthwhile.

http://411mania.com/music/jay-z-and-beyonce-releasing-exclusive-joint-album-to-tidal/

Edited by Anguyen92

Well, found this article. It says that Beyonce and Jay Z are doing an album together and making it exclusive to Tidal. If something like this is done and it's a good album, in the end, I guess it could be the start of making this whole thing worthwhile.

http://411mania.com/music/jay-z-and-beyonce-releasing-exclusive-joint-album-to-tidal/

Honestly, that just sounds like a one off, make a quick buck and make Tidal look good kind of thing. I mean with Jay and Bey, of course it's bound to make some money. I know a week or two ago when Rihanna released her new song there was a backlash from fans when they went to listen and found out they would have to subscribe and pay just to listen to music.

Now that was funny.

But are they going to get all their other millionaire buddies to pony up exclusive albums as well? Not just a head start versus other streaming services, but exclusive as in you can only get it at Tidal?

Something tells me no. Something tells me people will just torrent the shit out of whatever gets locked behind a paywall on Tidal.

And this is before Apple enters the market, with their hundreds of billions of dollars sitting in offshore bank accounts just waiting to be used as they please. Apple will bury all others if the game is nothing more than offering exclusives.

As it should be, Tidal is DOA. I'm now not even sure Jay-Z and Beyonce will recoup their $60 million investment at this point. Jay-Z probably saw the hundreds of millions (or billions) Dr. Dre made off Beats and thought he could do it too. But he's so out of his league in this space there's no way this takes off. Jay-Z is a rap artist, not a tech entrepreneur. I don't see who'd buy the thing other than perhaps some deluded hedge fund douche. Apple already has Beats, Google has YouTube, Amazon can build their own. Maybe Samsung?

There's no way a Jay-Z and Beyonce album saves this debacle. It's so far gone already. With the amount of promotion this thing got there's no way Tidal succeeds if it's already fallen out of the top 700 apps from the Apple app store. The irony of that promotion is that it only gave Pandora and Spotify more attention, and upped their popularity in app downloads.

It's going to be fun watching the artists turn on each other. Won't be long before Madonna starts slinging mud at others for why Tidal has no traction. Too many bloated egos in the room for any one of them to own this colossal failure.

• Like 1

Jay should have gone on stage with a bunch of unsigned rappers and indie bands and talked about how this would help them. Bringing a bunch of millionaires on stage to promote something with a terrible business plan just looks very snobbish and stupid. Not surprised to see it struggling (I still think they'll recoup that money, however)

Jay should have gone on stage with a bunch of unsigned rappers and indie bands and talked about how this would help them. Bringing a bunch of millionaires on stage to promote something with a terrible business plan just looks very snobbish and stupid. Not surprised to see it struggling (I still think they'll recoup that money, however)

Now see, that's something that might work a little with fans. Some new artists, unsigned artists, underground artists, people like that. Talking about making music and needing support and trying to make it but needing the fans help. Not a bunch of the richest artists in the game sippin champagne. And Jay's speech about how water is free but we pay for it so we should pay for music too or however the fuck he said it.

I still say the artists have screwed this up since the beginning. When all this got started with Napster back in the day, it was these huge acts like Metallica and P Diddy throwing around words like stealing and crying about money. That type of jazz just makes things worse.

Apple already has Beats, Google has YouTube, Amazon can build their own. Maybe Samsung?

Amazon last year actually started their own little thing. You get it if you have Amazon prime. It's not built up like the others yet, but it's enough that I doubt they would even look at Tidal.

Except that it would be online for free in a matter of hours. You simply can't create 'exclusive' content on the internet anymore, without it being ripped and torrented nearly instantly.

• Like 1

Except that it would be online for free in a matter of hours. You simply can't create 'exclusive' content on the internet anymore, without it being ripped and torrented nearly instantly.

This. Exclusives existed in the realm of records, cassettes, albums. Music is now all about convenience. Reason why Spotify is taking over has everything to do with it being a very convenient service.

It's easier to just sign up to spotify than to sort through torrent sites trying to find the song you're looking for. Why steal when you can listen to free legally, save for a few commercials? Or pay a few bucks a month to get rid of the ads. What these self-unaware musicians fail to realize is that most people like their own money more than they like them. Diehards may buy everything, but it's not the diehards who will afford you the mansion in Malibu. Axl knows this, it's why he leans heavily on the hits and back catalogue when comprising a setlist. Think he's going to get enough repeat business to fill an arena if he stuck with nothing but new material and deep cuts off of the Spaghetti Incident? Most of us would love it, but he'd likely be playing in 1000 person venues out of necessity and not by choice.

As the middle class continues to get squeezed, recorded music becomes a luxury that becomes less and less a necessity. And yet we're expected to champion these deaf-toned musicians who apparently aren't happy with their current wealth. Musical talent certainly doesn't seem to translate into business acumen, at least with these individuals. They think they can compete with "free" with higher fidelity and "exclusives." First, almost nobody cares about audio fidelity anymore; it's not the 1980s. Second, as Chevelle points out, exclusives don't stay exclusive for long. And why? Why, as an artist, would you limit your compositions to such a small audience? Even if they were to somehow match Spotify in membership (which ain't happening), hundreds of millions use Youtube to access music. They're now potentially losing out on millions who might not become exposed to their new tracks and will never be won over enough to attend a show, where artists make the real money.

• Like 1

Someone got in his ear and told him to emphasize the fans. The backlash is at the way this thing was trotted out more than anything else.

Right, this service is meant for the fans... :jerkoff:

How putting content that use to be free behind a paywall is suppose to be interpreted as a fan-friendly move is beyond me.

This article does a thorough job of obliterating many of Jay-Z's responses to the backlash:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/26/jay-z-s-tidal-is-a-disaster-the-hip-hop-icon-defends-tidal-against-smear-campaign.html

"Tidal offers high fidelity and lossless audio quality, but also exorbitant fees of $20/month. The idea behind Tidal is that these higher subscription fees will lead to greater royalties for the artists—so it’s pretty hard to understand how this endeavor is “for fans,” as Jay Z claims. Tidal’s logic seems to be that fans’ money will now go directly into the pockets of the artists, but if the monthly premium is more than competing music streaming sites like Spotify and Apple’s Beats Music, how does this benefit the fans, and not just pad the pockets of these equity-blessed entrepreneurs?

Now let’s talk about those subscriber numbers. Jay Z touted Tidal’s 770,000 subscribers, but 597,000 of those came from WiMP. That means less than 200,000 people have subscribed to Tidal in the close to a month since that disastrous March 30 presentation. Tidal also dropped out of iTunes’ top 700 most-downloaded apps chart this past week.

Furthermore, the “exclusive” content Tidal has been rolling out mainly consists of content that would be free to fans otherwise, e.g. streaming singles like Rihanna’s “Bitch Better Have My Money” (which, by the way, should be Tidal's theme song), music videos, and the ability to livestream concerts, all of which people could’ve just caught on YouTube without paying a high monthly premium. Hell, one of the “exclusives” they offered was a playlist curated by a contributing editor from Vanity Fair."

Read the entire article at the link above.

• Like 1