Classical Recommendations

Dan H.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:50 PM, DieselDaisy said:

What do you prefer? Sonatos? Chamber music or larger orchestral works? Off the top of my head these are some larger works,

Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto

Schubert's 8th (unfinished) and 9th symphonies. His 5th is also a delightful, underrated, piece.

Beethoven's 3rd (Eroica), 5th, and 9th symphonies (the starting place really)

Mozart's Piano concertos (anywhere you dwell there is genius to be found).

Elgar's (the chap in my picture) cello concerto

i have always wondered who that pic was of! mmmmm i love Mozart. Beethoven is so wonderfully unbelievable. maybe some Paganini?

On 6/25/2017 at 1:50 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Mozart was a gambling addict with an addiction to fart gags. Wagner was an anti-Semite who stole people's wives and money. Ludwig terrorised his sister-in-law over the custody of his nephew. R. Strauss got himself wrapped up with the Nazis (although in his defense, he was probably trying to save Jewish members of his family). Brahms was a decent enough bloke but he did like prostitutes - as did Schubert who (probably) died from syphilis. Schumann went mad and ended up in an asylum. Only Haydn comes across as normal. Who'd be a musical genius?

doesn't crazy kind of come with the territory of genius in a lot of cases? i know this is not a musical genius but van gogh was certainly an artistic genius and look what happened there.