What about Robin Finck

Manuel

It isn't fair to call Robin for his ability to play the songs he had no input on. He was fantastic on the Blues, which is one he worked on.

We've got to hear the new material before we pan Finck. I suspect Axl wouldn't have had him in the band if he wasn't contributing. He wouldn't stand for it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Finck is out of gnr, he is shit trying to do slashs solos, he is brave though...if he is still in the new gnr stuff then i hope he stops fuckin up.

It isn't fair to call Robin for his ability to play the songs he had no input on. He was fantastic on the Blues, which is one he worked on.

We've got to hear the new material before we pan Finck. I suspect Axl wouldn't have had him in the band if he wasn't contributing. He wouldn't stand for it.

when finck makes better solos than november rain and estranged start this convo again

Finck's great

Non believers, check hob 2001 and rir 3

hell in boston 02, he overpowered axl's vocals coming back from "rocket queen"'s first solo

plus the big daddy recording of scom,

and with bucket gone, i think finck's taken a step up, realized how to improve his solos more

sieze the intiative, so to speak, cause when fink dosen't have bucket to rely on, he's great (i.e. sossego) with great feeling (bluesy irs solo)

so,either he's gotten LOADS better

or he's completely distanced himself from gnr, and sucks, which his site makes you believe.....

you taking the piss?

I hope Finck is out of gnr, he is shit trying to do slashs solos, he is brave though...if he is still in the new gnr stuff then i hope he stops fuckin up.

when finck makes better solos than november rain and estranged start this convo again

Finck's great

Non believers, check hob 2001 and rir 3

hell in boston 02, he overpowered axl's vocals coming back from "rocket queen"'s first solo

plus the big daddy recording of scom,

and with bucket gone, i think finck's taken a step up, realized how to improve his solos more

sieze the intiative, so to speak, cause when fink dosen't have bucket to rely on, he's great (i.e. sossego) with great feeling (bluesy irs solo)

so,either he's gotten LOADS better

or he's completely distanced himself from gnr, and sucks, which his site makes you believe.....

you taking the piss?

we talking about the same guitarist?

you scare me :drevil:

Finck is okay...no great shakes...with some truly AWFUL performances in the 02 bootlegs. His renditions of November Rain are just pitiful. There is not one fucking reason why a guitarist of this caliber is in Guns N Roses. I would think Axl has standards for GnR, how the hell did this guy make the cut? There are session musicians who can play the pants off this fella. If you want to rave over his performance and have a celebration of mediocrity, by all means continue...but I think most of us know....his stuff is rather dissapointing when stacked up to Slash or Buckethead. The standards are set high in Guns N Roses....why drop them just to accomodate some guitarist who isn't upto par?

Well he hasn't had any work in the past 3 years since the 2002 tour. Maybe he has been practising 5 hours everyday since then. With that amount of practice his technical ability should be equal to that of Buckets.

I doutb he has been though....

Finck is okay...no great shakes...with some truly AWFUL performances in the 02 bootlegs. His renditions of November Rain are just pitiful. There is not one fucking reason why a guitarist of this caliber is in Guns N Roses. I would think Axl has standards for GnR, how the hell did this guy make the cut? There are session musicians who can play the pants off this fella. If you want to rave over his performance and have a celebration of mediocrity, by all means continue...but I think most of us know....his stuff is rather dissapointing when stacked up to Slash or Buckethead. The standards are set high in Guns N Roses....why drop them just to accomodate some guitarist who isn't upto par?

you are obviously stupid if you think axl would have someone in that band that is not 'up to par'

you are just full of jealousy because your favorite member was replaced. long long time ago man. move on.

you are obviously stupid if you think axl would have someone in that band that is not 'up to par'

you are just full of jealousy because your favorite member was replaced. long long time ago man. move on.

Hey Axls_Disillusion!! havent seen you in a while dude!

oh and before i forget...

FUCK YOU!! :fuckyou:

I would go off and say that Finck is the worst guitarist in the world among famaouse names. I mean if you havent seen or heard any live show from GNR during 01-02 beacuse he really fucks up alot and to call him a proffecional is not right. A pro must handle his instrument. If you don't agree with the fuck ups during the 02 tour then you don't play or know anything about music talent

Mr.Sandman, kindly prove this with video evidence. I'd like to see this for myself if I may.

Proof? Look no further:

PC solo - Albany '02

The cracking end to Paradise City in Albany '02 was ruined for me by this moment. Fortus is absolutely rocking the fuck out... then in comes Finck. :ph34r:

He's not a bad guitarist - he's just not suited to the style of music Guns N' Roses used to play. I think he's good for the material they'll be playing on Chinese Democracy.

You're right Sly. I think part of the problem is that no really good guitarist wants or needs to work with Axl, based on his reputation and past history. Dave Navarro, Brian May, Zakk Wylde, even Buckethead, all gone as quickly as they came. These guys want to be creative, make music, tour and perform for their fans. Not just sit around for years. Finck's only other option was NIN. It was either working with Trent or working with Axl. lol, I think he was screwed either way.

I would go off and say that Finck is the worst guitarist in the world among famaouse names. I mean if you havent seen or heard any live show from GNR during 01-02 beacuse he really fucks up alot and to call him a proffecional is not right. A pro must handle his instrument. If you don't agree with the fuck ups during the 02 tour then you don't play or know anything about music talent

Mr.Sandman, kindly prove this with video evidence. I'd like to see this for myself if I may.

Proof? Look no further:

PC solo - Albany '02

The cracking end to Paradise City in Albany '02 was ruined for me by this moment. Fortus is absolutely rocking the fuck out... then in comes Finck. :ph34r:

He's not a bad guitarist - he's just not suited to the style of music Guns N' Roses used to play. I think he's good for the material they'll be playing on Chinese Democracy.

man did robin ever butcher that one!

here's the deal- he can write pretty cool shit sometimes, but certainly can't play the old shit. the thing is - he was playing he easy solos and couldn't handle them! it shows how undedicated he his, he's getting hundreds of thousands, surely he could sit down and practice - after all, it is his JOB.

Personally, I think Robin has the attitude on stage that the band is missing since the oldies left. Buckethead is an awesome shredder, and he was a cool expirament, musically, but I feel that on stage, he was just some weird guy standing off to the side. Fink has attitude when he plays, and I feel he brings back some of the bluesy style that the band is missing without Slash's very emotional guitar playing.

It's also hillarious to watch Axl get pissed off at Fink on stage, but from what I've seen, he can handle his solos, and Im behind him, even if he is a goth.

Listen to the early shows of the pre-UYI release in 1991. Slash's solos were horrible. It takes time for bands to synch. Playing live is not a studio.

You're right Sly. I think part of the problem is that no really good guitarist wants or needs to work with Axl, based on his reputation and past history. Dave Navarro, Brian May, Zakk Wylde, even Buckethead, all gone as quickly as they came. These guys want to be creative, make music, tour and perform for their fans. Not just sit around for years. Finck's only other option was NIN. It was either working with Trent or working with Axl. lol, I think he was screwed either way.

Yeah, thats an interesting observation... all of these great guitarists that worked with gnr could not commit on a long term basis....Dave Navarro was really the best replacement for Slash....its too bad that didn't work out...

The only gripe I have is, GnR deserves a better guitarist than Finck to do justice to the back catalogue. Besides, like highvoltage said....he's not really suited to play gnr style music...

metasoul - Slash was either wasted, strung out or both during most of the UYI tour. Even then he was able to put together amazing solos. What's Finck's excuse? Clean and sober he still can't play well...

A cleaned up SLash on the other hand has put on amazing performances, as anyone who went to a VR show can attest to....

I think a lot of people cannot get over the fact that Slash left the band 10 freakin' years ago. He has gone. He's not coming back. Get the fuck over him already. You are comparing two different genres and styles, and two very different people, it's like comparing A to B. Sure, they're both letters, and they form words and are English, but that's it. Finck and Slash are both Guitarists, and they play/ed in GN'R. If you wanna keep on saying how great Slash was, go to the VR section, you'll be well accomodated. If you want to talk about what we have here and now, then by all means stay here. Just incase, you are wonder, I'm a huge fan of Slash, Finck and Bucket, so I'm not taking sides. Finck isn't the world's greatest, but he must be pretty skilled for Mr.Axl Rose and Trent Reznor to pick him, and stay with the group (both) on and off for about 10 years, even if they haven't consistantly been touring or putting out material. Sure, some Solos are different, Axl himself said it's hard, and anyone who knows what they are talking about, knows it's hard to replicate the passion and feeling that another musician showed whilst playing, and indeed emulate his technique. Sure, you can cover their material, but it's never going to be the same. Ever. Get over that now if you haven't already. This is the New Guns N' Roses, with an Industrial, Hard Rock sound. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy, and indeed fall in love with the old GN'R, I'm saying this is what we have, and you can like it or lump it. You have VR and Guns N' Roses, be content. Things, people and time changes. We aren't back then. Axl is basically creating a new genre, and fitting into a new niche, much like how they were 20 years ago. Finck's style, and looks, IMHO, fit what Axl is going for. So did Bucket, which is why I think it's a shame he left. If you don't like the new stuff, you have all the official albums and all those bootlegs to enjoy. I'm content with both, so if you can find it in you to appreaciate the work of something different, something which Axl now is comfortable with playing, and someone who he is playing with, it'll be better for us all. Give Finck his dues, yes, he's not going to be Slash, that's why he doesn't do the same solos as he's not trying to fill his boots. He's doing his own thing, and I like that. If you can't dig this type of music, VR is there, and like I said earlier, your bootlegs and official material. Why do people find it so hard to except that GN'R, and everything, has to move on, and indeed has. Keep up with the present, I know we enjoy living in the past, but Slash left GN'R, and starting something new. Yet you are angry at Axl for trying to 'fill' what Slash used to do. Remember, VR also do covers of songs such as Mr.Brownstone, and It's So Easy, so if anything, accuse Weiland and Kushner of invading where Izzy and Axl should be. Indeed, be angry with Sorum for replacing Addler. Perhaps the New Guns don't have the 'passion' or the zest, or the magic that you used to enjoy, but if you don't enjoy it, no one forces you to listen to it. I'm hoping for Chinese Democracy which contains elements of the songs of OMH, Chi Dem, Maddy, The Blues, Silkworms and I.R.S. If you can't accept that, or don't like that, fine. We all have different tastes. Axl has gone in a different direction and therefore needs people who he thinks can fulfil the potential, and do what he wants to do. He's found that in the form of Fortus and Finck, who have come in leaps and bounds IMHO. It's different from what we are used to, far from Gilby/Slash and Izzy/Slash, but that's the way things go. From the bootlegs, and what I've heard so far of the New GN'R, there is certainly some way to go before the magic is restored, but I am confident, with Finck and the new lineup, and this style of music, Guns N' Fuckin' Roses can get back to rocking out venues all over

I think a lot of people cannot get over the fact that Slash left the band 10 freakin' years ago. He has gone. He's not coming back. Get the fuck over him already. You are comparing two different genres and styles, and two very different people, it's like comparing A to B. Sure, they're both letters, and they form words and are English, but that's it. Finck and Slash are both Guitarists, and they play/ed in GN'R. If you wanna keep on saying how great Slash was, go to the VR section, you'll be well accomodated. If you want to talk about what we have here and now, then by all means stay here. Just incase, you are wonder, I'm a huge fan of Slash, Finck and Bucket, so I'm not taking sides. Finck isn't the world's greatest, but he must be pretty skilled for Mr.Axl Rose and Trent Reznor to pick him, and stay with the group (both) on and off for about 10 years, even if they haven't consistantly been touring or putting out material. Sure, some Solos are different, Axl himself said it's hard, and anyone who knows what they are talking about, knows it's hard to replicate the passion and feeling that another musician showed whilst playing, and indeed emulate his technique. Sure, you can cover their material, but it's never going to be the same. Ever. Get over that now if you haven't already. This is the New Guns N' Roses, with an Industrial, Hard Rock sound. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy, and indeed fall in love with the old GN'R, I'm saying this is what we have, and you can like it or lump it. You have VR and Guns N' Roses, be content. Things, people and time changes. We aren't back then. Axl is basically creating a new genre, and fitting into a new niche, much like how they were 20 years ago. Finck's style, and looks, IMHO, fit what Axl is going for. So did Bucket, which is why I think it's a shame he left. If you don't like the new stuff, you have all the official albums and all those bootlegs to enjoy. I'm content with both, so if you can find it in you to appreaciate the work of something different, something which Axl now is comfortable with playing, and someone who he is playing with, it'll be better for us all. Give Finck his dues, yes, he's not going to be Slash, that's why he doesn't do the same solos as he's not trying to fill his boots. He's doing his own thing, and I like that. If you can't dig this type of music, VR is there, and like I said earlier, your bootlegs and official material. Why do people find it so hard to except that GN'R, and everything, has to move on, and indeed has. Keep up with the present, I know we enjoy living in the past, but Slash left GN'R, and starting something new. Yet you are angry at Axl for trying to 'fill' what Slash used to do. Remember, VR also do covers of songs such as Mr.Brownstone, and It's So Easy, so if anything, accuse Weiland and Kushner of invading where Izzy and Axl should be. Indeed, be angry with Sorum for replacing Addler. Perhaps the New Guns don't have the 'passion' or the zest, or the magic that you used to enjoy, but if you don't enjoy it, no one forces you to listen to it. I'm hoping for Chinese Democracy which contains elements of the songs of OMH, Chi Dem, Maddy, The Blues, Silkworms and I.R.S. If you can't accept that, or don't like that, fine. We all have different tastes. Axl has gone in a different direction and therefore needs people who he thinks can fulfil the potential, and do what he wants to do. He's found that in the form of Fortus and Finck, who have come in leaps and bounds IMHO. It's different from what we are used to, far from Gilby/Slash and Izzy/Slash, but that's the way things go. From the bootlegs, and what I've heard so far of the New GN'R, there is certainly some way to go before the magic is restored, but I am confident, with Finck and the new lineup, and this style of music, Guns N' Fuckin' Roses can get back to rocking out venues all over

psssshh...yeah

All the same though...if it's improvising that he wants to do then he should seriously consider re-improvising the version of the november rain solo that he plays. his previous version contained to many wrong notes for the key he was in and that really annoyed me, plus it wasn't quite as epic as the original, if he wants to redo it fine by me but please, redo it well. His version of the SCOM solo was quite good though, I just prefer richard, the guy at least looks like he wants to be there.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Finck's incredible rendition of Sossego!

One of the cult members on this board claimed it was better than anything Slash has ever done..

Then, of course.. I went for a bowel movement.

The clip from Albany 2002 is disgusting.. what a waste.

Here's a gift..

http://www.youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-N...earch=nightrain

-Kickingthehabit

Finck was an average guitarplayer in 2002, hopefully he will be better if he will tour with Guns N' Roses again. Richard Fortus is a much better guitarplayer and his solos sounds pretty good.

So if I should guess what Robin Finck was doing the last years, I hope he took some guitarlessons.

Edited by Matthias

The Sandman, I think you are going a bit off the point here. We were talking about how crappy guitarist Finck is, not complaining about new GNR. Yes, Slash left 10 years ago, GNR is now industrial sounding, but does that make Finck a better guitarist? No. Hes bullshit, and that's it.

There where times that Jimmy Page actually ruined guitar solo's. I've heard several bootlegs from mr page ruining his own songs. BUT I and no one realy gives a shit cause he wrote GREAT tunes. Page's sloppiness is accepted cause of that.

If Finck wrote awesome tunes, great solo's. Has a main role on the new cd, will pull of solo thingy's like finck did at the intro of Paradise City (that blues, sad sunday looking outta your window and see nothing but rain music) pure magic! then we will be in for a hell of a ride. People will accept his sloppiness cause of that, mark my words.

Edited by Dont Try Me

Sloppiness? Where, i havent heard anything sloppy from him yet, i have the entire boston show(took ages to dl, dial up) and he played every song to perfection, pulled of a lot of the songs better than slash did on the tokyo dvd...