What about Robin Finck

Manuel

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Jan 28 2006, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone define a good guitarist for these people, because they dont seem to have a fucking clue what there on about...

Please go ahead, if you know so well.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Jan 28 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sloppiness? Where, i havent heard anything sloppy from him yet, i have the entire boston show(took ages to dl, dial up) and he played every song to perfection, pulled of a lot of the songs better than slash did on the tokyo dvd...

Robin Finck is definitely a sloppy player 'live'. Listen to Pittsburgh, London bootlegs, rio etc etc. No doubt.But I didn't said that sloppy nececarily means 'bad'. You can play sloppy but still good. And sometimes...... Sometimes he messes up, big deal, I do too. But I guess you missed my statement?

All the same though...if it's improvising that he wants to do then he should seriously consider re-improvising the version of the november rain solo that he plays. his previous version contained to many wrong notes for the key he was in and that really annoyed me, plus it wasn't quite as epic as the original, if he wants to redo it fine by me but please, redo it well. His version of the SCOM solo was quite good though, I just prefer richard, the guy at least looks like he wants to be there.

I take that back, i just saw Finck's NR solo on the Albany show for the first time.. the guy was magic, and so emotional...Robin Finck, you have redeemed yourself, you belong in GNR. :D:D:D:D

Ye people seem to be focosing a lot on technical skill as compared to talent and preformance. All the skill in the world is no good without talent, you dont have to be a good to put on a good show. I bet ya the people at the shows didnt give a shit about how "sloppy" he was. Its not about being good live, its about putting on a show, and thats one thing Mr. Fink can do better than anyone else, he is extreamly chrasmatic(sp). Its only after listening to these bootlegs soo many times that you can find flaws, if you look you will find. But people are soo focused on perfection, who is the real perfectionest, axl or us?...

I think a lot of people cannot get over the fact that Slash left the band 10 freakin' years ago. He has gone. He's not coming back. Get the fuck over him already. You are comparing two different genres and styles, and two very different people, it's like comparing A to B. Sure, they're both letters, and they form words and are English, but that's it. Finck and Slash are both Guitarists, and they play/ed in GN'R. If you wanna keep on saying how great Slash was, go to the VR section, you'll be well accomodated. If you want to talk about what we have here and now, then by all means stay here. Just incase, you are wonder, I'm a huge fan of Slash, Finck and Bucket, so I'm not taking sides. Finck isn't the world's greatest, but he must be pretty skilled for Mr.Axl Rose and Trent Reznor to pick him, and stay with the group (both) on and off for about 10 years, even if they haven't consistantly been touring or putting out material. Sure, some Solos are different, Axl himself said it's hard, and anyone who knows what they are talking about, knows it's hard to replicate the passion and feeling that another musician showed whilst playing, and indeed emulate his technique. Sure, you can cover their material, but it's never going to be the same. Ever. Get over that now if you haven't already. This is the New Guns N' Roses, with an Industrial, Hard Rock sound. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy, and indeed fall in love with the old GN'R, I'm saying this is what we have, and you can like it or lump it. You have VR and Guns N' Roses, be content. Things, people and time changes. We aren't back then. Axl is basically creating a new genre, and fitting into a new niche, much like how they were 20 years ago. Finck's style, and looks, IMHO, fit what Axl is going for. So did Bucket, which is why I think it's a shame he left. If you don't like the new stuff, you have all the official albums and all those bootlegs to enjoy. I'm content with both, so if you can find it in you to appreaciate the work of something different, something which Axl now is comfortable with playing, and someone who he is playing with, it'll be better for us all. Give Finck his dues, yes, he's not going to be Slash, that's why he doesn't do the same solos as he's not trying to fill his boots. He's doing his own thing, and I like that. If you can't dig this type of music, VR is there, and like I said earlier, your bootlegs and official material. Why do people find it so hard to except that GN'R, and everything, has to move on, and indeed has. Keep up with the present, I know we enjoy living in the past, but Slash left GN'R, and starting something new. Yet you are angry at Axl for trying to 'fill' what Slash used to do. Remember, VR also do covers of songs such as Mr.Brownstone, and It's So Easy, so if anything, accuse Weiland and Kushner of invading where Izzy and Axl should be. Indeed, be angry with Sorum for replacing Addler. Perhaps the New Guns don't have the 'passion' or the zest, or the magic that you used to enjoy, but if you don't enjoy it, no one forces you to listen to it. I'm hoping for Chinese Democracy which contains elements of the songs of OMH, Chi Dem, Maddy, The Blues, Silkworms and I.R.S. If you can't accept that, or don't like that, fine. We all have different tastes. Axl has gone in a different direction and therefore needs people who he thinks can fulfil the potential, and do what he wants to do. He's found that in the form of Fortus and Finck, who have come in leaps and bounds IMHO. It's different from what we are used to, far from Gilby/Slash and Izzy/Slash, but that's the way things go. From the bootlegs, and what I've heard so far of the New GN'R, there is certainly some way to go before the magic is restored, but I am confident, with Finck and the new lineup, and this style of music, Guns N' Fuckin' Roses can get back to rocking out venues all over

People's biggest fear is typically change. Once it happens, they always compare the "new" against the "old", or against that which they were comfortable with (that which was solidified as "ideal" in their mind). I can design art on my computer, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy abstract free-hand paintings, and it would be rediculous to compare the two. Slash's early demos, early '88 and early '91 stuff sucked in terms of musical correctness, but we all loved it nonetheless, the fact that it was him, the fact that it was fresh, that he didn't give a fuck...and we don't need the "he was drunk" excuse for every wrong note. He surmounted it, ended up on top, as seen in his 92-93 years, as well as in VR.

Finck will shine on CD, and when it comes to playing his own stuff and not replicating someone else's stuff, he will shine on the stage. In general, I don't know of many artists that have a stage presence like Finck...he is exactly what GNR needs.

You couldn't have summed it up better Sandman.

Finck had his good and bad nights. Anyway overall, I think Fortus blew Finck and Buckethead away.

Buckethead was a robotic clown who played and shred without heart and soul, no feeling, just ultra-speed non melodic guitar masturbation, it was pointless, and Finck fucked up a lot of solos. Plus, Buckethead and Finck looked like they were ready to make a casting for an horror film. Fortus was the only "rock n' roll" guitar player, who played really well, with energy and with the right vibe.

I think Fortus is the best GN'R guitar player after Slash. For me, he is better than izzy, Gilby, Tobias, Finck and Buckethead.

Edited by rockstar81

I think a lot of people cannot get over the fact that Slash left the band 10 freakin' years ago. He has gone. He's not coming back. Get the fuck over him already. You are comparing two different genres and styles, and two very different people, it's like comparing A to B. Sure, they're both letters, and they form words and are English, but that's it. Finck and Slash are both Guitarists, and they play/ed in GN'R. If you wanna keep on saying how great Slash was, go to the VR section, you'll be well accomodated. If you want to talk about what we have here and now, then by all means stay here. Just incase, you are wonder, I'm a huge fan of Slash, Finck and Bucket, so I'm not taking sides. Finck isn't the world's greatest, but he must be pretty skilled for Mr.Axl Rose and Trent Reznor to pick him, and stay with the group (both) on and off for about 10 years, even if they haven't consistantly been touring or putting out material. Sure, some Solos are different, Axl himself said it's hard, and anyone who knows what they are talking about, knows it's hard to replicate the passion and feeling that another musician showed whilst playing, and indeed emulate his technique. Sure, you can cover their material, but it's never going to be the same. Ever. Get over that now if you haven't already. This is the New Guns N' Roses, with an Industrial, Hard Rock sound. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy, and indeed fall in love with the old GN'R, I'm saying this is what we have, and you can like it or lump it. You have VR and Guns N' Roses, be content. Things, people and time changes. We aren't back then. Axl is basically creating a new genre, and fitting into a new niche, much like how they were 20 years ago. Finck's style, and looks, IMHO, fit what Axl is going for. So did Bucket, which is why I think it's a shame he left. If you don't like the new stuff, you have all the official albums and all those bootlegs to enjoy. I'm content with both, so if you can find it in you to appreaciate the work of something different, something which Axl now is comfortable with playing, and someone who he is playing with, it'll be better for us all. Give Finck his dues, yes, he's not going to be Slash, that's why he doesn't do the same solos as he's not trying to fill his boots. He's doing his own thing, and I like that. If you can't dig this type of music, VR is there, and like I said earlier, your bootlegs and official material. Why do people find it so hard to except that GN'R, and everything, has to move on, and indeed has. Keep up with the present, I know we enjoy living in the past, but Slash left GN'R, and starting something new. Yet you are angry at Axl for trying to 'fill' what Slash used to do. Remember, VR also do covers of songs such as Mr.Brownstone, and It's So Easy, so if anything, accuse Weiland and Kushner of invading where Izzy and Axl should be. Indeed, be angry with Sorum for replacing Addler. Perhaps the New Guns don't have the 'passion' or the zest, or the magic that you used to enjoy, but if you don't enjoy it, no one forces you to listen to it. I'm hoping for Chinese Democracy which contains elements of the songs of OMH, Chi Dem, Maddy, The Blues, Silkworms and I.R.S. If you can't accept that, or don't like that, fine. We all have different tastes. Axl has gone in a different direction and therefore needs people who he thinks can fulfil the potential, and do what he wants to do. He's found that in the form of Fortus and Finck, who have come in leaps and bounds IMHO. It's different from what we are used to, far from Gilby/Slash and Izzy/Slash, but that's the way things go. From the bootlegs, and what I've heard so far of the New GN'R, there is certainly some way to go before the magic is restored, but I am confident, with Finck and the new lineup, and this style of music, Guns N' Fuckin' Roses can get back to rocking out venues all over

People's biggest fear is typically change. Once it happens, they always compare the "new" against the "old", or against that which they were comfortable with (that which was solidified as "ideal" in their mind). I can design art on my computer, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy abstract free-hand paintings, and it would be rediculous to compare the two. Slash's early demos, early '88 and early '91 stuff sucked in terms of musical correctness, but we all loved it nonetheless, the fact that it was him, the fact that it was fresh, that he didn't give a fuck...and we don't need the "he was drunk" excuse for every wrong note. He surmounted it, ended up on top, as seen in his 92-93 years, as well as in VR.

Finck will shine on CD, and when it comes to playing his own stuff and not replicating someone else's stuff, he will shine on the stage. In general, I don't know of many artists that have a stage presence like Finck...he is exactly what GNR needs.

You couldn't have summed it up better Sandman.

Thank you MetaSoul.

Finck belongs in this band, he looks the part, and sure, he's not perfect, but everyone f'ups up occasionly. He has a presence on stage which is better than people like Paul Tobias, here's to rockin' out sold arena soon. Plus, how many of GN'R's guitarists have got head infron of their parents by Marilyn Manson?

:sleeper: Robin Finck suck's!!! I could do a better solo with my left nut!!! Get rid of the guy!!! If not,while their at it,hire on Jake.E.Lee!!! Total donkey ball's,million's of guitarist out there could play with one finger better than Robin Finck can!!! :sleeper:

:sleeper: Robin Finck suck's!!! I could do a better solo with my left nut!!! Get rid of the guy!!! If not,while their at it,hire on Jake.E.Lee!!! Total donkey ball's,million's of guitarist out there could play with one finger better than Robin Finck can!!! :sleeper:

Stop being such a fool. If Finck were not adding a massive amount to Chinese Democracy, do you think Axl would allow him to stay in the band, and pay him for what 7 years?

I think Finck has had a massive input into the album and you will be back praising his work if it ever gets released. You have to remember that him playing the old material is not a good comparison.

The first time Finck left, Axl called it "a Good Thing", and that they were able to do guitar parts after he left on some of the songs that Robin never would have been able to handle.

WTF? Now where did you read that?

An interview Axl did with Loder, I think in '99 (?). I probably read it in one of the articles @ HTGTH. I'll look for it later...

The first time Finck left, Axl called it "a Good Thing", and that they were able to do guitar parts after he left on some of the songs that Robin never would have been able to handle.

An interview Axl did with Loder, I think in '99 (?). I probably read it in one of the articles @ HTGTH. I'll look for it later...

He didn't say Robin couldn't handle the guitar parts...here's the quote:

Loder: He just wanted to get back to Nine Inch Nails, right?

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit.

Edited by MetaSouL

Sorry, but Finck is not my cup of tea either. I was listening to a soundboard, think it was Boston 02 - playing sweet child.

It sounds EXACTLY like the entire band was playing in half step, and Finck was playing totally different in full step. It was so dreary and awful.

Also he incorporates his style into the damn GNR songs. It would be better if he just played normal instead of bending and fucking up notes in random places where they shouldn't be.

I still vote for Zakk Wylde for both Fink and Buckets replacements. I dont care if Ozzy has him.

EDIT: I must say though, in his defence, he does a FANTASTIC solo over the film clips in Madagascar Boston 02 as well, as well as Sossego in RIR3. If he played like that all the time it would be decent.

Edited by Max™

...but we've been able to up the ante a little bit.

Sorry, what does he mean by that? English isn't my native you know...

Maybe you'd get something if you tried Google:

up the ante

1. to raise the cost or risk of an activity.

2. to increase the quality of something.

He didn't say Robin couldn't handle the guitar parts...here's the quote:

Loder: He just wanted to get back to Nine Inch Nails, right?

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit.

i remember that, since robins back and bucket's gone, seems they might lower than ante.

maybe axl's got a surprise in store though

Also he incorporates his style into the damn GNR songs. It would be better if he just played normal instead of bending and fucking up notes in random places where they shouldn't be.

Isn't that supposed to be a good thing???

To me he's a fantastic player, and I'm sure Axl is happy enough with him and Richard in the band. I would be very surprised if he incorporates another guitar player.

Until we have the album we cannot judge ALL his job with Guns N' Roses. And remember Axl wanted him to play lead when he saw Robin playing with NIN in 1994.

• 1 month later...

B)--><div class='quotetop'>CITA(mr.b @ Mar 7 2006, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Me too, Robin, see you in dublin... rock3

Lucky bastard... I live in south america!!!!!!

What about inviting me to your home so I can go and see GNR?!?!

Edited by Sergito