VIDEOGAME Thread...

You got a point, simple but immensely enjoyable with a high playability factor. Jesus I think I played Turtles in Time and Street Fighter 2 for over a year without getting bored!

Turnover rate for newer games are definitely higher imho...but I guess for a more tech savvy and advanced age group, they have to up the complexity of the games. Kids today are far ahead of where we were back then....

Edited by SylvesterStallone

I'm not much of a gamer, I grew out of them by the time I was 14. However, the one game I got into recently was Manhunt for Ps2. Holy crap this game rules, there are hardly many games with edge or the kind of violence as this game. Rockstar doesn't pull any punches with most of their games, and this one is no different. The stealth, the suspense and the kills you can employ are great. The game is also rather long and fairly difficult to be honest. The last level is near impossible, took me a long time to beat the game.

To those who haven't played it, it's a game about a guy put on the street by a snuff producer who has to recover items (if i recall correctly) in the worst areas all while being part of a snuff film where everyone from prison inmates, skin heads, trailer trash, etc are trying to kill him. You start with no weapons and basically have to use stealth and tactics to recover weaponry and proceed through the levels.

It has great suspense, the music and feel of the game is very gritty and nihilistic, my heart almost leapt out of my chest a few times during the game. :xmasssanta:

Sly, the Wii keeps the remote and gameplay simple in comparison to the Xbox and Playstation controllers. You can do a lot with the Wii remote, obviously, but it's very intuitive..

Yeah that's what I've heard so far. Man the wii sure is getting some serious props on this thread... :tongue2:

I played it, but never finished it. I did enjoy it though. The whole dark/gritty feel was cool- not to mention all the gore too.

On a side note, I did get a certain satisfaction out of using a baseball bat to bash in the heads of the white supremacists. rock1

Guest Jack_the_ripper

thats because bromle hasn't come in here yet to tell you he thinks his wii sucks for now. Plus alot of old school Nintendo fans and Genesis fans love the Wii, simply because you can play those old classic games on it.

alright aid look, I'll take out the big guns:

1. Soul Calibur 96.4%

2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 94.9%

3. NFL 2K1 94.8%

4. Resident Evil Code: Veronica 93.5%

5. Rayman 2: The Great Escape 93.0%

6. Quake III Arena 91.7%

7. Jet Grind Radio 91.5%

8. NFL 2K 91.4%

9. Dead or Alive 2 91.3%

10. Virtua Tennis 90.6%

11. Crazy Taxi DC 90.3%

12. Skies of Arcadia 90.1%

and not mention its 32 other games that scored in the 80's. The dreamcast was an absolute great console.

Now how about you learn something about gaming, and before making ridiculous claims such as "the dreamcast sucks, why didn't sega come out with another console after." you do some research on the matter.

The Dreamcast failed because of piracy, people found out you can just simply pop in a normal blank recordable cd rom into your pc, download a game off the net, burn it onto your cd, put it in your dreamcast, and you can play it.

That's why that was Sega's final console.

There's rarely a single reason for failure, and at the time the dreamcast came out not many people had broadband acces. And for the price of roughly one PS game you could have your Playstation chipped and do the exact same thing.

8 of the titles you mentioned where also released for playstation. I never claimed that the dreamcast sucks, so don't say I did. But I still think that with both the saturn and the dreamcast they where at the wrong place in time. If the saturn had come out earlier it would have been way more revolutionary, but it came out to late...and then came the playstation and whipped it's ass. And the dreamcast came out at the wrong point in time as well. People where still buying playstations like crazy and knew that there would soon be a ps2.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

1. Soul Calibur 96.4%

3. NFL 2K1 94.8%

6. Quake III Arena 91.7%

7. Jet Grind Radio 91.5%

8. NFL 2K 91.4%

9. Dead or Alive 2 91.3%

10. Virtua Tennis 90.6%

11. Crazy Taxi DC 90.3%

and not mention its 32 other games that scored in the 80's. The dreamcast was an absolute great console.

Now how about you learn something about gaming, and before making ridiculous claims such as "the dreamcast sucks, why didn't sega come out with another console after." you do some research on the matter.

The Dreamcast failed because of piracy, people found out you can just simply pop in a normal blank recordable cd rom into your pc, download a game off the net, burn it onto your cd, put it in your dreamcast, and you can play it.

There's rarely a single reason for failure, and at the time the dreamcast came out not many people had broadband acces. And for the price of roughly one PS game you could have your Playstation chipped and do the exact same thing.

8 of the titles you mentioned where also released for playstation. I never claimed that the dreamcast sucks, so don't say I did. But I still think that with both the saturn and the dreamcast they where at the wrong place in time. If the saturn had come out earlier it would have been way more revolutionary, but it came out to late...and then came the playstation and whipped it's ass. And the dreamcast came out at the wrong point in time as well. People where still buying playstations like crazy and knew that there would soon be a ps2.

I'll explain to you the exact reasons it failed

1. "And It's coming out tomorrow"

The Words that killed Sega, the prompt quick launch out of the blue left third party developers with their pants down. Thus making for a bad launch. The Dreamcast launched at a price of 199 USD, with 10-12 games available on day 1. The only game worth getting at launch was Soul Caliber. Through out the whole lifespan of the system, Soul Caliber was its best title, and that says alot about a system when a launch title is your best game.

2. Competitors in full bloom

The playstation was in full force at that time, still reaking in profits from its main selling franchises as Final Fantasy ( I know, games were made by square soft, however people were buying the playstation to buy them, therefore sony making money.)

Nintendo was also reaking in benefits of Ocarina which was launch a few months prior

3. Where was the party?

There wasn't many 3 party exclusive titles, and when their was, they weren't that great.

4. Piracy

As I stated in a previous post, I don't feel a need to repeat it.

Those are the main reasons, but its definately not because it didn't have adequate titles, actually I think it had alot more adequate titles than the PSone. Just the difference is The Psone had better selling great titles.

I'm curious as to why you are talking about broadband though.

Edited by Jack_the_ripper

Guest Jack_the_ripper
I still have the first Nintendo and Sega systems,and all the games I acquired.

(still can't fucking figure out Friday the 13th!!)

I also have my N64 and games too..

I always loved the game over screen to friday the 13th.

"you are dead, and your friends are dead."

1. Soul Calibur 96.4%

3. NFL 2K1 94.8%

6. Quake III Arena 91.7%

7. Jet Grind Radio 91.5%

8. NFL 2K 91.4%

9. Dead or Alive 2 91.3%

10. Virtua Tennis 90.6%

11. Crazy Taxi DC 90.3%

I'll explain to you the exact reasons it failed

1. "And It's coming out tomorrow"

The Words that killed Sega, the prompt quick launch out of the blue left third party developers with their pants down. Thus making for a bad launch. The Dreamcast launched at a price of 199 USD, with 10-12 games available on day 1. The only game worth getting at launch was Soul Caliber. Through out the whole lifespan of the system, Soul Caliber was its best title, and that says alot about a system when a launch title is your best game.

2. Competitors in full bloom

The playstation was in full force at that time, still reaking in profits from its main selling franchises as Final Fantasy ( I know, games were made by square soft, however people were buying the playstation to buy them, therefore sony making money.)

Nintendo was also reaking in benefits of Ocarina which was launch a few months prior

3. Where was the party?

There wasn't many 3 party exclusive titles, and when their was, they weren't that great.

4. Piracy

As I stated in a previous post, I don't feel a need to repeat it.

Those are the main reasons, but its definately not because it didn't have adequate titles, actually I think it had alot more adequate titles than the PSone. Just the difference is The Psone had better selling great titles.

I'm curious as to why you are talking about broadband though.

The reason I was talking about broadband was because downloading games on an 56.6 Kbit/modem is a major PITA. Now with the new 100Mbit/s internet that I've got It would take way less than an hour to download games. But that was not the case when it was released. The point about competition being in full bloom was exactly the point I was trying to make about them releasing it at the wrong time. And still 2/3 of the best games you posted where also released for PS/PS2. I'm not saying dreamcast sucks, but I reckon they did the same mistake as with the saturn and screwed up their last chance.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

alright, I see what you mean, and I agree, however in no way does it make the dreamcast a bad system.

In alot of aspects, the dreamcast reminds me of the ps3.

Guest knerken

You can download old Sega/SNES classics to 360 too. Excactly the same way as with Wii; you buy Microsoft points at your gamestore, log onto Xbox live and download as many games you can afford with your points.

Guest Jack_the_ripper
You can download old Sega/SNES classics to 360 too. Excactly the same way as with Wii; you buy Microsoft points at your gamestore, log onto Xbox live and download as many games you can afford with your points.

don't falsely advertise something like that. You get some crap Rare games that appeared on Snes, but no one bought because they were crap.

Guest Jack_the_ripper
I didn't like it. I suppose I'm too much of a hardcore gamer to play most of Rockstar's games.

finally we agree on something, I always thought rockstar games are overly hyped, and I have no interest in their games what so ever. They for whatever reason have a tendancy to please casual gamers.

and why so suprised about manhunt 2 on wii?

Edited by Jack_the_ripper

I didn't like it. I suppose I'm too much of a hardcore gamer to play most of Rockstar's games.

What is that even suppose to mean?

Manhunt 2 is coming out for the..........Wii, which is pretty suprising being the nature of Manhunt.

Their games are targeted to a more casual audience, I beat GTA Vice City and III in a few days. Manhunt was eerie, but by no means hard or scary.