We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

It's applicable to Pakistan I suppose more than the rest, good players sometimes don't get a walk out and these no good wankers just do. It's all politics over there I suppose, if you know the right people you get picked.

What did you feel about the whole match fixing thing where those two lads got sent down?

I take a zero tolerance approach inside the game, life bans etc. It has to be if, cricket wants to sustain its reputation. Prison, hmm. I think Butt was sentenced to over two years for conspiracy in gambling. The others had shorter sentences. Does seem a bit harsh. Stopping these players from playing cricket is a harsh enough sentence. I am not an expert on the ins and outs but I know they had a bit of support from them Cricketing fraternity - basically saying, ''they are young and stupid so go lenient''.

A lot of Pakistani fans feel their team gets rough treatment in general, like when i think it was Shoaib Akhtar (might be wrong) that was accused of being a chucker...but then there's nothing wrong with Darren Goughs action. Petty stuff I suppose.

How did you feel about the big walk off?

In fairness, the same debate appeared with Muralitharan which led to the 15% ruling (the ICC theorising that there is always going to be a 15% bend in the arm). What 'big walk out'? Is this the Gatting incident (which I thought was hysterical - England did not play Pakistan for years after that)?

Pakistan are doing Australia at the moment....

The match fixing, they should be fucking done for it. Even spot fixing. Its a LOT more common that we think. Lou Vincent has got caught, and apparently Chris Cairns has been accused of it.

Pakistan cricket has produced some outstanding talent over the years, and still does. the problem they have is corruption in society and its cricket. More talent should be coming through than it already is. Theres no proper infastructure, like in the UK for example.

Gatting incident was LOL, but you shouldn't have a go at the umpire like that.

Murali, well I dunno, if most the bowlers were breaking the law over the arm thing, then I suppose the law had to change. He does look like a chucker though! A lot of the big names in cricket says he is, but then re-tract thier statements fairly quick!

Umpire Hair, he handled the situation badly in my opinion.

Pakistan are doing Australia at the moment....

The match fixing, they should be fucking done for it. Even spot fixing. Its a LOT more common that we think. Lou Vincent has got caught, and apparently Chris Cairns has been accused of it.

Pakistan cricket has produced some outstanding talent over the years, and still does. the problem they have is corruption in society and its cricket. More talent should be coming through than it already is. Theres no proper infastructure, like in the UK for example.

Gatting incident was LOL, but you shouldn't have a go at the umpire like that.

Murali, well I dunno, if most the bowlers were breaking the law over the arm thing, then I suppose the law had to change. He does look like a chucker though! A lot of the big names in cricket says he is, but then re-tract thier statements fairly quick!

Umpire Hair, he handled the situation badly in my opinion.

Younus Kahn looks well on his way to becoming Pakistan's leading run scorer in tests, I think he is 3rd behind Miandad and Inzamam now?

Regarding the match fixing, I agree that the punishments need to be harsh otherwise it will not act as a deterrent. I think in the case of Mohammed Aamir people wanted to be lenient because of his young age, but them's the breaks, hopefully any other young players who are approached by slimy characters will think twice before doing anything stupid.

I think the fact that Pakistan have to play their home games in another country is not helping with bringing talent through. Them beating Australia is hardly going to inspire a generation of youngsters to pick up a bat or ball and play for their country if they aren't getting to see it close up?

Been reading about that documentary since Dies' bought it to my attention, I've heard of most of these players from my Dad, Garfield Sobers (although i always thought it was Gary), Clive Lloyd, Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding, Jeff Thompson, Colin Croft, Malcolm Marshall...and of course Viv Richards who everyones heard of.

It was but then he got knighted!

What's amazing to me is that when all these fast bowlers like Lillee, Thompson, Holding etc. were running around, the batsmen were not wearing helmets!

On the dvd extras of that film, various batsman - Boycott, Khan, etc - describe what it was like to face the West Indian attack. Consider the fact that Gatting got carried off with bits of the cricket ball lodged in his nose. So they all describe batsman shitting their pants before going out. It was no longer a question of scoring runs or winning: it was a question of survival. The batsmen were actually relieved when they lost their wicket.

On the dvd extras of that film, various batsman - Boycott, Khan, etc - describe what it was like to face the West Indian attack. Consider the fact that Gatting got carried off with bits of the cricket ball lodged in his nose. So they all describe batsman shitting their pants before going out. It was no longer a question of scoring runs or winning: it was a question of survival. The batsmen were actually relieved when they lost their wicket.

Here's some footage of the Old Trafford test in '76, Brian Close, in what would be his last test, getting absolutely battered by Holding:

That is why they brought in the one bouncer per over rule. There was a lot of critics - and still is - of those tactics but fast bowling was nothing new really (Larwood, Truman). I suppose the innovative thing was, the west Indians employed four of them. The ironic thing is, without those bowlers, Viv might be considered, not just the greatest batsman ever (well, him, Bradman etc), but a great 'all rounder' because he was a decent part timer, Viv.

The fucked up thing about spot fixing is how easy it is to do, how easy it is to get away with. Imagine getting £150,000 cash for scoring 3 runs an over. its easy money, and its not like you are altering the outcome of a game (it is a scummy practice before anyone thinks I am OK'ing it).

Its funny how players get banned, but no one is going for the bookies themselves!

About the bouncer rule, I am for it, think its a good idea. Cricket is a sport, not a bloodsport!

The fucked up thing about spot fixing is how easy it is to do, how easy it is to get away with. Imagine getting £150,000 cash for scoring 3 runs an over. its easy money, and its not like you are altering the outcome of a game (it is a scummy practice before anyone thinks I am OK'ing it).

Its funny how players get banned, but no one is going for the bookies themselves!

About the bouncer rule, I am for it, think its a good idea. Cricket is a sport, not a bloodsport!

Well there isn't much the cricket authorities can do to go after illegal bookies, that would be one for the organised crime squads of the various countries, maybe there needs to be more cooperation between the two? The ICC's focus needs to be on how they can prevent players from getting involved, lengthy bans is a part of that but there needs to be a way for players to come forward if they know about or are involved in something dodgy without fear of reprisals

After the drubbing we recieved in england, australia and new zealand how could we?

While it is true that India plays more ODIs than anybody else it is in fact the test cricket and test victories and defeats that gets the whole nation estatic or enraged .

Besides, you are basing that on ICC test rankings in which india was 2nd in march.

After the drubbing we recieved in england, australia and new zealand how could we?

While it is true that India plays more ODIs than anybody else it is in fact the test cricket and test victories and defeats that gets the whole nation estatic or enraged .

Besides, you are basing that on ICC test rankings in which india was 2nd in march.

Glad to hear you say that, I am obviously buying in to the hyperbole about the IPL killing off test cricket in India (I blame Diesel for that! :P )

Considering the population of cricket fans in india, if you were to seperate only those who care to watch mostly tests (like myself), even that number will be higher than the whole population of England. Though i share Diesel's disdain for IPL to an extent... It's loud and over the top and it is an overdose of cricket. Add the terible broadcasting and the whole affair becomes a pain in the ass.

The empty venues, whenever sides tour India, when contrasted with the IPL, speak volumes. I think there is no doubt that there is a problem with test cricket there.

The IPL will always draw more crowd. It's shorter and loaded with entertainment. Often you will find people deciding between watching a movie and an IPL game. Whole families with little kids and what not goes to watch IPL games. While tests are an all together different proposition and for a different sets of audience.

The interest in test cricket is plummeting... and in cricket in general. Even the IPL's viewership have dropped significantly over the last two sessions.

Among the reasons is the retirements of Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman. They pulled in crowd. Now until and unless Pujara turns into a Dravid and Kohli into a Tendulkar the interests will likely remain low.

As Warner had said that indians love cricketing personalities more than cricket. You need such figures to pull in crowds in india. And since it's lacking in indian cricket, the interest has dwindled over the last few years.

I've only ever seen people twice in my life get excited about cricket.

Once when I was at my second college/Lambeth College Clapham Campus and there was some test match or something on TV and it was on every TV and people were getting in to it, like late 2005, and another when I was riding to London and the gears/chain just fell of my bike! - I pulled over to the side of the road by Aargon Gardens & Green Lane in Streatham - whilst waiting for my ride to come pick me up, I met an old black guy with a bike and a cricket bat with an old pie and mash accent, him being a stranger and all who just rode up with a cricket bat, I was on my toes, keeping my guard, he seemed nice enough and spoke about his love/his passion cricket as we tried to fix my bike and assessed the damage.

That must have been 2008/2009 or something.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Who is going to explain to Pit the LBW rule?

Or the fact that you can score 5 by hitting the helmet :)

That would presumably be the Ashes of summer 2005, England regaining the Ashes for the first time since 1987. It was on channel 4 and cricket looked like it could be a massive countrywide thing again however Sky smashed that idea.

This is the problem, test cricket needs as many eyes on it as possible IMO so having it on one of the 4 PSBs is essential, however the sky money is also v important for keeping the game going financially but you lose that exposure. Difficult choice to have to make.