Anyone ever find interest in a new instrument and switch roles in your respective bands?

For my band we have a basic set up of Singer (me), Guitarist, Bassist, and Drummer. As of a few months past our bassist has not really had a lot of interest in playing with us right now. He’s juggling a lot between a job and joining the military and can’t commit to our plans- no worries of course. To help our band move forward I’ve taken up duties on Bass and have been honest to god loving that more than I have for guitar (I have been playing for 3 years and lay down rythym tracks and riff around for our studio works). I don’t plan to play it live however- I plan for my bass contributions to be solely for studio and we would move forward with a touring bassist since as a frontman I’d like to be able to move around and devote my full attention to singing and interacting with the crowd. 

I have found that my sudden interest in this instrument has reinvigorated my passion for writing and creating music and has brought me so much further into working with my lead guitarist and drummer than I have in the past. I never got that feeling as a rhythm guitarist. Has this ever happened to you with an instrument?

I was in a band a couple of years ago, but left after three months because of creative differences. I was the bassist. Most of the other band members wanted a NuMetal sound and I couln't stand that

I switched to the keyboard a couples of years later. It's great because I can replicate the sound of every instrument I want.

Edited by Sosso

I've been playing guitar for 4 years but started singing towards the middle of last year. I much prefer singing because you have a wider repertoire if you have some basic vocal training.

Plus it's fun to talk to the crowd and have them respond so positively. The weird thing is I can talk/sing to an 80-100 person crowd, but I can't get up and give a presentation in my class :lol:

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

I guess to some extent I have, yes.  But just for one project.  I was in a 'successful local band' that received a grant to record.  First time in studio for some of the members.  As the songwriter people were happy to get my input on the arrangements.  In the case of the keyboard player it morphed into me playing certain parts for them.  Im a guitarist.  Most of these parts were synth pads only.  But I did get so into it that, at their request, I ended up recording a song on piano that - despite my limitations - came off well.  Just all the effort and passion built to produce this one time musical moment where I connected with the instrument.