Hollywood Rose DJ

Shackler's

An excerpt from Steven's book:

"Rose got to play only three songs. I learned that the guys featured on the flyer who caught my attention were vocalist Axl Rose and guitarist Izzy Stradlin, two childhood friends from Indiana. I thought they looked cool and that even their names were cool. They had a guy named Rob Gardner on drums with them, but I wasn’t that impressed with him.

The bass player’s name was DJ. I believe he helped write “Move to the City,” one of the songs they performed."

Who's DJ? The only guy that comes to mind that wrote MTTC would be Del James, but he would've been mentioned by name and he never played in HR. Steve Darrow was their bassist at the time, is DJ just an alias?

12 minutes ago, Shackler's said:

An excerpt from Steven's book:

"Rose got to play only three songs. I learned that the guys featured on the flyer who caught my attention were vocalist Axl Rose and guitarist Izzy Stradlin, two childhood friends from Indiana. I thought they looked cool and that even their names were cool. They had a guy named Rob Gardner on drums with them, but I wasn’t that impressed with him.

The bass player’s name was DJ. I believe he helped write “Move to the City,” one of the songs they performed."

Who's DJ? The only guy that comes to mind that wrote MTTC would be Del James, but he would've been mentioned by name and he never played in HR. Steve Darrow was their bassist at the time, is DJ just an alias?

Probably just an alias. Names are changed for nonfiction books all the time, particularly when the author is unable to get sign off from the person(s) in question to use their real name.

then again, Slash was able to use Darrow’s real name in his own book. So who the fuck knows? Maybe DJ was his nickname or something.

off topic: I thought Gardner was from LA Guns, no? Did he also play in (Hollywood) Rose?

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Probably just an alias. Names are changed for nonfiction books all the time, particularly when the author is unable to get sign off from the person(s) in question to use their real name.

then again, Slash was able to use Darrow’s real name in his own book. So who the fuck knows? Maybe DJ was his nickname or something.

off topic: I thought Gardner was from LA Guns, no? Did he also play in (Hollywood) Rose?

Yeah apparently. Probably when L.A. Guns just disbanded or something and they formed the first incarnation of GN'R, maybe Steven got the early 1985 GN'R mixed up with HR? 

Anyway, a page or two later in his book he mentions a guitar player called Jeff:

For a brief period, Izzy left for what turned out to be a short stint in another band, L.A. Guns, and Hollywood Rose became me, Slash, Axl, a guitar player named Jeff, and another bass player, some French guy. Slash drew a cartoon of the new lineup for one of our flyers and it’s featured in the Live Era record.

And Izzy in L.A. Guns? Lots of things aren't lining in my mind's storyline :lol:

Edited by Shackler's

There was an eBay item for sale (buy it now) many years ago when auctions were still popular that told a small story involving a guy who went by the name of DJ. It was for an autograph of the “original guitarist from Guns N’ Roses”. I didn’t think much of it back then. I wonder if anyone else caught sight of it? Maybe someone can ask Rob about DJ?