Cosmos: "A Spacetime Odyssey"

Ace Nova

This series looks like it will be very interesting...and it will premiere across all Fox Networks simultaneously:

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is an upcoming American documentary television series.[1] It is a follow-up to the 1980 television series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which was presented by Carl Sagan. The new series' presenter will be Neil deGrasse Tyson. The executive producers are Seth MacFarlane and Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow.[2][3] The series will premiere on March 9, 2014[4] simultaneously in the US across ten 21st Century Fox networks, including Fox, FX, FXX, FXM, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, and Fox Life. The remainder of the series will air on Fox with Nat Geo rebroadcasting the episodes the next day with extra content.[5] According to Fox Networks, this is the first time that a TV show is set to premiere in a global simulcast across their network of channels.[6] The score for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey was written by Alan Silvestri.[7]

Seems like a good way to get a very broad audience interested in the show. Looking forward to it.

cosmos7tvf-2-web.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/cosmos-spacetime-odyssey-tv-review-article-1.1713025

And so “Cosmos” returns after three decades in a new production with a fresh coat of paint.

You’ll notice that for maybe two minutes per episode. Otherwise, you will be enveloped again by the real star of both the old and new editions: the universe.

Seth MacFarlane, better known for his rascally mischief, says he developed this straightforward and serious-minded revival because he was so enchanted by the original, a 13-part classic the late Carl Sagan presented on PBS in 1980.

Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts this time around, with a slightly playful tone and a rapid-fire style. Like Sagan and MacFarlane, he makes it clear from the first moments that he is in total awe of his subject matter.

The first episode runs through the scope of the series, at several points putting us Earthlings in our cosmic place. The universe is 13.8 billion years old. There are billions of galaxies. If we were on cosmic clock, human history would only show up in the last 1.4 seconds of a 24-hour day.

Tyson swoops from a drop of water and the wings of a butterfly to massive stars 100,000 light-years away.

It’s all done with brilliant imagery and crisp production that differs from Sagan’s primarily because the technology just keeps getting better.

Where MacFarlane’s “Cosmos” resembles Sagan’s completely is its passionate embrace of science.

The opening episode devotes a long segment to early astronomers who were scorned and even killed because their discoveries seemed to undermine religious doctrine.

The fact that the astronomers were right doesn’t stop some people even today from fearing and denouncing science.

“Cosmos” enters that discussion gently, suggesting that science and faith can live together.

Wherever the universe came from, it looks more amazing every time around.

( National Geographic will rerun the original "Cosmos" series Saturday and Sunday at noon.)

dhinckley@nydailynews.com)

Edited by Kasanova King

I hate watching shows like this because there is no real answer to why were are here and how big space is or if there is life on other planets in other galaxies.

I feel it's just a tease and I hate speculating or imagining. I'm not good at that. I want definitive answers to real questions about space, etc and since there aren't any, I don't care to watch shows like this.

Sounds exciting. The original Cosmos series was excellent and Neil Tyson has a great talent for making astrophysics captivating. I'm glad it's Tyson doing this, using his own dynamic style, rather than someone trying (and probably failing) to emulate Sagan's contemplative style.

Actually, Brian Cox did that for his series Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe and the result was very good.

I'm gonna wait until the whole thing has aired and I'll watch it then in one go.

• Like 1

First episode served as a good introduction. Got it's point across and the CGI was very impressive. If I had one complaint it's that it felt a little dumbed down in some parts, but that's a minor quibble. I'm not expecting this to be better than the original and I'm glad NDT is stamping his own personality on the thing instead of attempting a straight imitation.

The tribute to Carl at the end was fitting. I've heard Neil tell the story before but that was a really beautiful piece of television.

• 3 weeks later...

Please tell me people are watching this. This should be required viewing for every fucking dumbass little kid in America. And also their dumbass redneck uneducated bible thumping parents.

And PLEASE tell me that those of you who have easy access to marijuana (which I sadly do not, being in Japan and all) are getting blazed as fuck and watching this show.

And PLEASE tell me that those of you who have easy access to marijuana (which I sadly do not, being in Japan and all) are getting blazed as fuck and watching this show.

Can confirm. Have yet to watch an episode of this sober. :lol:

Wasn't a huge fan of the evolution episode but the last two have been pretty awesome.

It's okay.

I've heard the same shit a billion times before though. There is nothing in those documentaries that particularly surprised me. It isn't groundbreaking.

agreed

and it's kinda boring too...i've found myself struggling to stay awake watching it

It's okay.

I've heard the same shit a billion times before though. There is nothing in those documentaries that particularly surprised me. It isn't groundbreaking.

It's okay.

agreed

and it's kinda boring too...i've found myself struggling to stay awake watching it

I think it's just on the history phase now....once they really start getting into black holes, worm holes, 5th dimensions, time travel, etc....it should get relatively "spicy"....;)

• Like 1