Groove Metal

crazyfan

This has to be the most underrated sub-genre of metal. Groove metal practically revolutionized heavy metal. and served as a great alternative to grunge and rap in the early to mid 90's and is still going strong to this day. the older acts would include machine head, white zombie, exhorder(who was originally a thrash band up till the release of The Law), Sepultura, and most famous of them all Pantera. Newer acts would include Lamb Of God, Five Finger Death Punch, Six Feet Under, and Soulfly(use to be a nu metal band). This is one of the best sub-genre's of metal to come out of the 90's. Anyone else here agree with me?

hah I saw pantera labeled as Groove metal on metal-archives...i never listened to any of the other bands you mentioned. When I hear groove metal and pantera, what honestly comes to mind is their cover of "Cat Scratch Fever" lol.

Groove metal is basically slowed down thrash riffs to create a heavier sound.

Edited by awesome 80's

hah I saw pantera labeled as Groove metal on metal-archives...i never listened to any of the other bands you mentioned. When I hear groove metal and pantera, what honestly comes to mind is their cover of "Cat Scratch Fever" lol.

Groove metal is basically slowed down thrash riffs to create a heavier sound.

Excactly

do u think slayer are what influenced groove metal? with their slower songs on south of heaven and seasons in the abyss? and then metallica with and justice for all where they had some good slower songs like eye of the beholder

Nope, Groove metal was heavier then thrash. plus groove metal didn't take it's true form until 92' when panteras vulgar display of power and exhorders the law were released.

Edited by crazyfan

• 4 weeks later...

Sepultura sucks. Thrash sucks too. There are WAY too many thrash bands that sound alike, all thrashers are the same. The thrash bands that are actually good, actually made it big..Testament, Slayer, etc. But of course there are some like Vio-Lence which weren't so big but were still great. But face it, there's too much bubblegum shit going around. Always was.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Sepultura sucks. Thrash sucks too. There are WAY too many thrash bands that sound alike, all thrashers are the same. The thrash bands that are actually good, actually made it big..Testament, Slayer, etc. But of course there are some like Vio-Lence which weren't so big but were still great. But face it, there's too much bubblegum shit going around. Always was.

agreed, at least groove metal had some diversity.

Edited by crazyfan