The Pixies

JONEZY

The first time I ever heard of The Pixies was when Kurt Cobain raved about them in 91/92. I watched a documentary about them the other night and they sound pretty good. Unfortunately, Kim Deal didn't take part. Later I liked some of The Breeders stuff and Frank Black's song "Los Angeles". Good band and no keyboards, which I enjoy.

Only songs I know are:

"This monkey's gone to heaven"

"Where is my mind" (featured in the movie "Fight Club")

Any recommendations as to what I should buy?

Pixies are essential.

At least they were essential for Nirvana and some of their fans...

No, they are essential to everyone who is interested in rock music and rock history.

If you said it, it must be true.

No, it doesn't, but I'm glad you think so. :)

The thing is, Pixies has a great historical significance, and they played a huge part in the 80s underground scene. No Pixies=no grunge=no a lot of other genres/bands/whatever.

The Pixies are a fantastic band.

But if you're just getting into them I recoommend you start off with Wave Of Mutilation (the best of) and then if you're still digging 'em check out Doolittle.

Not just for Nirvana fans at all - damn good band in their own right!!

xDSGx

EDIT: Lithium of course its true if you say it, love. :lol:

Edited by DopeSickGirl

Thanks for the help everyone. I talked to a friend of mine and he has some CD's, so I'm gonna borrow them, or have him burn them for me.

BTW, what do you guys think about Kim Deal? Cute face, looked 'chunky' with the Pixies, but it looks like she lost some weight when she was in the Breeders. Looked kinda hot! Now it looks like she put the weight back on, which makes sense since her identical twin(Kelley) was always a 'big girl'.

They're very important and awesome. One of those few bands with absolute integrity.

Listening to Doolittle made Cobain change his whole guitar set-up. We can all thank The Pixies for Nevermind.

I believe they were on the brink of writing a new album a little while back, but they pulled out because it didn't feel right. Boo!

interesting theory, quite...fitting? is that the word? apt? astute, there ya go...Nirvanas whole thing or a large part of it, that loud to quiet musical dynamic, its there in stay away, in teen spirit, in anyuersm, in endless nameless, in live performances of something in the way, pretty much all over nevermind, its part of what makes there songs so fucking pumping was as a result of a very strong pixies influence and...its not to be sneezed at really is it? its a pretty...big thing, like an entire framework.