Last "Groundbreaking Album"

SunnyDRE

What was the last album that broke new ground in the music industry? Like an album that really tried to change things...or you can tell its impact.

I say, MY Blood Valentine's, Loveless (1991). Amazingly this album came out less than 90 days after Nevermind.

Also, I would say Sunny Day Real Estate's, Diary (1993), which pretty much invented "Emo" or every rock song you hear on the radio, and till this day noone has ever been able to get it right.

Edited by SunnyDRE

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the last album that broke new ground in the music industry? Like an album that really tried to change things...or you can tell it's impact.

I say Loveless (My Bloody Valentine)

In Rainbows - Radiohead (2007) - Due to the online release and the 'pay what you want' scheme. That was pretty groundbreaking.

All the original myspace/internet bands were quite 'groundbreaking' in a commercial sense as well (Lily Allen, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Arcade Fire) but not in a musical sense.

Musically however I'm less sure. You could argue that The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys debut's were the last albums to have a big impact in the UK but they aren't groundbreaking and had little to no impact worldwide. Globally, The Strokes debut had a massive impact on pop music but is hardly groundbreaking - 'first great album of the 00s'.

Overall I'd go for OK Computer though. Radiohead must be the most innovative band around at the moment.

What was the last album that broke new ground in the music industry? Like an album that really tried to change things...or you can tell it's impact.

In Rainbows - Radiohead (2007) - Due to the online release and the 'pay what you want' scheme. That was pretty groundbreaking.

All the original myspace/internet bands were quite 'groundbreaking' in a commercial sense as well (Lily Allen, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Arcade Fire) but not in a musical sense.

Musically however I'm less sure. You could argue that The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys debut's were the last albums to have a big impact in the UK but they aren't groundbreaking and had little to no impact worldwide. Globally, The Strokes debut had a massive impact on pop music but is hardly groundbreaking - 'first great album of the 00s'.

Overall I'd go for OK Computer though. Radiohead must be the most innovative band around at the moment.

I agree with the Strokes, when their debut came out, I could remember hundreds of sound-alikes. I disagree with OK Computer, though, I would argue KID A was more of a "touchstone" than 'Computer.

'Computer was the lost Pink Floyd album in my mind.

Great, but nothing new.

Nevermind (1991) - Nirvana

Dude, you haven't heard anything since '91 that you thought was groundbreaking?

Edited by SunnyDRE

I agree with the Strokes, but I disagree with OK Computer. I would argue KID A was more of a "touchstone" than 'Computer.

When they're debut came out, I could remember hundreds of sound-alikes.

Kid A was definitely a change of direction but it hasn't had the influence OK Computer had. People crassly have argued that OK Computer killed Britpop (although Be Here Now was more responsible imo).

The reason Radiohead changed direction with Kid A was because of the number of bands who had copied the OK Computer sound. It's the album that inspired the next batch of British bands - Coldplay, Muse, Travis etc - although that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Politically and culturally OK Computer came at a hugely important time in this country as well.

In general I'd say that the Stone Roses (1989) debut is the most influential British album since Joy Division.

I'd have to agree that OK Computer was the last album that really blew me away, where I felt something different going on

I'm still amazed that so many people like In Rainbows - I love the band, but In Rainbows bores the fuck out of me

I like Radiohead's computer/mix type songs better than the type of stuff that was on Rainbows

Anyways, my votes for Computer

Portishead - Dummy (1994)

I would give more credit to Massive Attack or Tricky for that style of music.

Sorry. Don't agree with you.

Massive Attack's first albums are wet and lend more to Leftfield than anything else.

Mezzannine is interesting, but that came out long after Dummy... and, indeed, the equally brilliant self titled, Portishead.

I agree with the Strokes, when their debut came out, I could remember hundreds of sound-alikes. I disagree with OK Computer, though, I would argue KID A was more of a "touchstone" than 'Computer.

'Computer was the lost Pink Floyd album in my mind.

Great, but nothing new.

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP (1999)

depends on what you mean by groundbreaking. i mean Slim Shady LPs groundbreaking insofar as he's a huge successful critically acclaimed white rapper but theres no actual new musical ground being broken. same sort of things applies to a lot of the albums being mentioned..even Nevermind...i mean really, what new musical ground was broken with Nirvana?? none really...

Edited by ffrankwhite